Does your HRM count calories while you are sitting?

Options
Does your HRM count calories while you are sitting without any activity ?

Please ?

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Simple answer. No.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I think you want something like fitbit, jawbone up etc rather than an hrm
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    They aren't really made for that. They are made for cardio. Your puls needs to be a bit elevated by exercise for an hrm to register correctly. Even for strength training, where your puls sinks below 90-100, mine registers only a minimal burn.

A fitbit or a fuel band is what you seem to be looking for.
  • Orient_Charm
    Orient_Charm Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    mine yes, It counted 30 cals for sitting for 12 mins, I think it has a problem, I contact Polar customer service on this issue, without any reply for one week.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    mine yes, It counted 30 cals for sitting for 12 mins, I think it has a problem, I contact Polar customer service on this issue, without any reply for one week.

They are only meant to be used during cardio exercises.
  • Orient_Charm
    Options
    They aren't really made for that. They are made for cardio. Your puls needs to be a bit elevated by exercise for an hrm to register correctly. Even for strength training, where your puls sinks below 90-100, mine registers only a minimal burn.

A fitbit or a fuel band is what you seem to be looking for.

Thank you so much,
    can you check this issue and advise ?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1181964-hrm-calories-is-more-than-what-machine-side
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The "problem" isn't with the watch - you are using it wrong. They are a training aid for cardio that can give you an estimate (just an estimate) of calories burned during cardio exercise.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Yes its going to show you calories are being burned even while sitting because you still have a heart rate which is how it is calculating that number. So it's not a problem with your HRM but that is not what it is intended to be used for.
  • Orient_Charm
    Options

They are only meant to be used during cardio exercises.

Thanks you,
    But even with cardio it count so much,
    can you check this and tell me what you think ?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1181964-hrm-calories-is-more-than-what-machine-side
  • Orient_Charm
    Options
    toddis & Meshashesha2012 & sijomial & jwhited71 thank you so much appreciate your reply
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Simple answer. No.

um you obvously have no clue what a HRM is.
    it measures heart rate and converts that to probable calories burned doing anything while it's active.
    so yes it would count calories doing anything, it would count calories if you were in a coma. Aslong as you have a pulse it can detect it will register.

a fitbit registers movement not specifically steps you can test this by wearing it on your wrist and shaking your hand and it will register steps so for that it's faulty, and atleast in my case it tends to register alot higher calories burned then the HRM if i go into activity/sleep mode, however as a pedometer it is a good guide and the overall TDEE it registers atleast in my case is relatively stable and lower then the HRM would register if wore it for a 24hour period.

now i have had a Polar FT4 a FT7 and now i have a FT60 and they all do strange things, they aren't meant to be an accurate guide but they do tend to register really high or really low at random times, depending on your body composition sitting should be about 1 calorie a minute, now at 31Kgs lost and a VO2 rating of 46 i only burn 3-5 calories a minute walking briskly.

Thats the other thing you could test your VO2 rating, if you have a high rating you are fitter and tend to burn alot less then someone with a really low VO2 rating. the above 3 devices if that's what you have have the ability to test your VO2, or you could do it via a VO2 calculator i think, work out yours based on your average hear rate at rest during a 5 minute period while breathing normally.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Simple answer. No.

it measures heart rate and converts that to probable calories burned doing anything while it's active.
    so yes it would count calories doing anything, it would count calories if you were in a coma. Aslong as you have a pulse it can detect it will register.

a fitbit registers movement not specifically steps you can test this by wearing it on your wrist and shaking your hand and it will register steps so for that it's faulty, and atleast in my case it tends to register alot higher calories burned then the HRM if i go into activity/sleep mode, however as a pedometer it is a good guide and the overall TDEE it registers atleast in my case is relatively stable and lower then the HRM would register if wore it for a 24hour period.

now i have had a Polar FT4 a FT7 and now i have a FT60 and they all do strange things, they aren't meant to be an accurate guide but they do tend to register really high or really low at random times, depending on your body composition sitting should be about 1 calorie a minute, now at 31Kgs lost and a VO2 rating of 46 i only burn 3-5 calories a minute walking briskly.

Thats the other thing you could test your VO2 rating, if you have a high rating you are fitter and tend to burn alot less then someone with a really low VO2 rating. the above 3 devices if that's what you have have the ability to test your VO2, or you could do it via a VO2 calculator i think, work out yours based on your average hear rate at rest during a 5 minute period while breathing normally.

ironic. it looks like you're the one that doesn't have a clue about what a hrm is.

lol@hrm counting calories in comas, sitting, or "anything". you may wish to read the owners manual of your device before calling people out next time
  • xbellezx
    xbellezx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Even when sitting there doing nothing you are still burning calories, your body uses energy to function. When sitting down I still have a heart rate so my HRM will still count calories burnt. This is not how they are intended to be used though.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Simple answer. No.

ironic. it looks like you're the one that doesn't have a clue about what a hrm is.

lol@hrm counting calories in comas, sitting, or "anything". you may wish to read the owners manual of your device before calling people out next time

If you have a heart beat a HEART RATE MONITOR is gonna register BPM which it converts to probable calories burned based on the age, height and weight you put in same as MFP does, same as all the calculators do. whether it's 1 calorie a minute or lots it is still an estimate, i never stated it was a good system or you should count those calories as gospel i clearly said yes it does count calories whatever you are doing.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

They are not made for that. They are made to track cardio exercise - they are accurate for things above 120 bpm.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Simple answer. No.

Clearly it is you who are the moron, if you have a heart beat a HEART RATE MONITOR is gonna register BPM which it converts to probable calories burned based on the age, height and weight you put in same as MFP does, same as all the calculators do. whether it's 1 calorie a minute or lots it is still an estimate, i never stated it was a good system or you should count those calories as gospel i clearly said yes it does count calories whatever you are doing.
    you're not getting it are you. Simply put the algorithm that is used is designed to be accurate at heart rates applicable to cardio exercise. No one said they wouldn't give you a calories count what people are saying is it will be wildly inaccurate as that is not what they are designed for. Spend 5 minutes and read the owners manual or go to posts website.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Simple answer. No.

Clearly it is you who are the moron, if you have a heart beat a HEART RATE MONITOR is gonna register BPM which it converts to probable calories burned based on the age, height and weight you put in same as MFP does, same as all the calculators do. whether it's 1 calorie a minute or lots it is still an estimate, i never stated it was a good system or you should count those calories as gospel i clearly said yes it does count calories whatever you are doing.

Soooooo.....the point you where trying to get across was "that a hrm *would* count calories......just don't use those calories because they'll be wildly inaccurate"?

So if someone asked if it was okay to pour gatorade into their fuel tank instead of gasoline your answer would be" Yes, you can put gatorade into a gas tank " I guess and then when the engine was destroyed you'd say," you didn't ask if it was a good idea ".
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Does your HRM count calories while you are sitting without any activity ?

HRMs never count calories, they only count heart beats.