Besides sounding scary, what are specific problems with GMO

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
GMO means (likely) buying American for one thing...

Replies

• Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    80% are manufactured to survive mad amounts of herbicide, so more herbicide on your food and in the environment

I don't like how they are patented and then when they contaminate a farmer's crops the farmer is sues (no fair! Uber mean)

Health wise I'm kinda scared about introducing new protein structures to the human diet. Protein=enzymes=potential for loads of action. I'm a fraidy cat.

I eat them almost daily too.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    Living healthy has got nothing to do with buying American.
  • Fit2Strip
    Fit2Strip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    They are also designed to withstand blights and environmental factors that would otherwise wound our food supply. So they basically help ensure we have a consistent food supply.

Plus if it makes the plant stronger, it has to make me stronger too.

I'm a doctor.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    They are also designed to withstand blights and environmental factors that would otherwise wound our food supply. So they basically help ensure we have a consistent food supply.

I'm a doctor.

agreed. i'm an engineer.

it helps keep costs low, because entire crops aren't lost to adverse weather.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    80% are manufactured to survive mad amounts of herbicide, so more herbicide on your food and in the environment

I don't like how they are patented and then when they contaminate a farmer's crops the farmer is sues (no fair! Uber mean)

Health wise I'm kinda scared about introducing new protein structures to the human diet. Protein=enzymes=potential for loads of action. I'm a fraidy cat.

I eat them almost daily too.

New protein structures? Howz that? I know they modified wheat so that it would produce MORE gluten (wheat protein) but I've never heard of genetic manipulation being able to invent new proteins.

Yes, they have made crops be resistant to herbicides, but not MAD amounts of it are needed to keep the non-resistant (weeds) in check. Just the usual amounts.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    There is almost no science which argues against GMO.

GMO is also singlehandledly responsible for allowing several hundred million people to live and significantly supports the lives of many other hundreds of millions.

Removing GMO foods from the planet would effectively kill several hundred million people.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I smoke, I drink alcohol, I think its a bit late for me to worry about if my tomatoes have been tampered with.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

GMO is also singlehandledly responsible for allowing several hundred million people to live and significantly supports the lives of many other hundreds of millions.

Removing GMO foods from the planet would effectively kill several hundred million people.

^ This. That bolded part can't be said enough. If the precious Whole Foods shoppers don't want to buy it fine, but don't go trying to ban something that is literally saving lives. We've had enough fun there with DDT and malaria.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options

^ This. That bolded part can't be said enough. If the precious Whole Foods shoppers don't want to buy it fine, but don't go trying to ban something that is literally saving lives. We've had enough fun there with DDT and malaria.

Exactly. There is more to the world than our little fitness and food conscious bubble in the US. People rely on these exports to live.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I think I am right in saying that while labels have to say that a product is GM they don't have to tell you whether the meat is from livestock fed on GM crops.

Personally I don't have an issue with it, especially when you consider the foods I have eaten in the past
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options

I'm a doctor.

HA!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Acronyms are an indicator of evil and badness.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Exactly. There is more to the world than our little fitness and food conscious bubble in the US. People rely on these exports to live.

I should add the anti-vaccine crowd to this too. The reality is that false information kills, and it does it regularly. It's time we go back to listening to scientists rather than talk show hosts when it comes to science.
  • Rosplosion
    Options
    This is my favorite scary GMO story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmers'_suicides_in_India
  • Crash7676
    Crash7676 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ^^wiki? really? *sigh* SMH
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am personally anti-GMO for me and my family. I don't think GMOs should be banned, but foods should be labeled as such so that people can make their own decision on whether to purchase and consume it. That's the problem I have with it. Until them, I am choosing to lessen or stop purchases and consumption of soybeans, corn, and canola oil and their derivatives unless I know the source. I will either not buy it or splurge on organic.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    I am personally anti-GMO for me and my family. I don't think GMOs should be banned, but foods should be labeled as such so that people can make their own decision on whether to purchase and consume it. That's the problem I have with it. Until them, I am choosing to lessen or stop purchases and consumption of soybeans, corn, and canola oil and their derivatives unless I know the source. I will either not buy it or splurge on organic.

Organic =\= non- GMO
  • venus_blue
    venus_blue Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think I am right in saying that while labels have to say that a product is GM they don't have to tell you whether the meat is from livestock fed on GM crops.

Personally I don't have an issue with it, especially when you consider the foods I have eaten in the past

You're partly right. The only laws that require GMO labeling aren't in effect yet in the states in which they were voted into law and won't be until enough neighboring states enact the same sort of laws. And many meat producers will tell you that they can't guarantee their meat is not from animals who are fed GMOs, so that bit is pretty much right.
  • Rosplosion
    Options
    ^^wiki? really? *sigh* SMH

Go read it. It's really sad. Wikipedia is considered a good source of information these days. Back when we were in school not so much.
  • Fit2Strip
    Fit2Strip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    For those who doubt, I'd like to reference one of my patients.
    We took a photo before switching to GMO products and a picture 18 months after using GMO products.

faces-of-meth-before-and-after.jpg