Besides sounding scary, what are specific problems with GMO

Options

Replies

• lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am personally anti-GMO for me and my family. I don't think GMOs should be banned, but foods should be labeled as such so that people can make their own decision on whether to purchase and consume it. That's the problem I have with it. Until them, I am choosing to lessen or stop purchases and consumption of soybeans, corn, and canola oil and their derivatives unless I know the source. I will either not buy it or splurge on organic.

Organic =\= non- GMO

Bull****. USDA certified organic = non-GMO. Legally. Don't assume I am ignorant.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    For those who doubt, I'd like to reference one of my patients.
    We took a photo before switching to GMO products and a picture 18 months after using GMO products.

faces-of-meth-before-and-after.jpg

WHAT DO WE WANT? LABELED GMO METH! WHEN DO WE WANT IT? THIS TWEAKEND!
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    80% are manufactured to survive mad amounts of herbicide, so more herbicide on your food and in the environment

I don't like how they are patented and then when they contaminate a farmer's crops the farmer is sues (no fair! Uber mean)

Health wise I'm kinda scared about introducing new protein structures to the human diet. Protein=enzymes=potential for loads of action. I'm a fraidy cat.

I eat them almost daily too.

These are things I have a problem with. That and the fact that we have these GMO crops sending their pollen into the air, potentially contaminating organic, non GMO crops. And, as was alluded to above, if that happens, its the organic, non-GMO farmer who gets sued for patent violation, even though he should really be able to sue for his crop being contaminated.

The whole thing people are saying about a consistent food supply is short sighted, we will have a consistent food supply for a time... then when the Bees become extinct, food chains will collapse everywhere... and bees are dying out, largely because of GMO crops and increased herbicides and pesticides being used them.

While I have some concerns for my own personal health because of GMO food, I have a greater concern for the fact that we are flirting with complete ecological collapse.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Gregor Mendel and his peas. . .

No specific problems nutritionally.

GMO is more or less a religious issue at the root what one thinks about patents and patent enforcement and capitalism, mercantilism, ect in general.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Acronyms are an indicator of evil and badness.

^This. You just know they are trying to sneak one by you.
  • Fit2Strip
    Fit2Strip Posts: 280 Member
    Options

^This. You just know they are trying to sneak one by you.

As a Mormon and member of the CJCLDS, I can attest that this is a lie. Acronyms are your friend and often savior.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    For those who doubt, I'd like to reference one of my patients.
    We took a photo before switching to GMO products and a picture 18 months after using GMO products.

faces-of-meth-before-and-after.jpg

See! GMOs are evil! That's what those scary GMO proteins do guys!
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I smoke, I drink alcohol, I think its a bit late for me to worry about if my tomatoes have been tampered with.

MMmmmmm ToMacco! :bigsmile:

tomacco.jpg
  • FoxBean
    FoxBean Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    80% are manufactured to survive mad amounts of herbicide, so more herbicide on your food and in the environment

I don't like how they are patented and then when they contaminate a farmer's crops the farmer is sues (no fair! Uber mean)

Health wise I'm kinda scared about introducing new protein structures to the human diet. Protein=enzymes=potential for loads of action. I'm a fraidy cat.

These are things I have a problem with. That and the fact that we have these GMO crops sending their pollen into the air, potentially contaminating organic, non GMO crops. And, as was alluded to above, if that happens, its the organic, non-GMO farmer who gets sued for patent violation, even though he should really be able to sue for his crop being contaminated.

The whole thing people are saying about a consistent food supply is short sighted, we will have a consistent food supply for a time... then when the Bees become extinct, food chains will collapse everywhere... and bees are dying out, largely because of GMO crops and increased herbicides and pesticides being used them.

While I have some concerns for my own personal health because of GMO food, I have a greater concern for the fact that we are flirting with complete ecological collapse.

We can all thank Monsanto for that one
  • Blue801
    Options
    I am personally anti-GMO for me and my family. I don't think GMOs should be banned, but foods should be labeled as such so that people can make their own decision on whether to purchase and consume it. That's the problem I have with it. Until them, I am choosing to lessen or stop purchases and consumption of soybeans, corn, and canola oil and their derivatives unless I know the source. I will either not buy it or splurge on organic.

Organic =\= non- GMO

Bull****. USDA certified organic = non-GMO. Legally. Don't assume I am ignorant.

You are definitely correct. Only 5% contamination with GMO is allowed to be certified organic.
  • itbloke
    itbloke Posts: 20 Member
    Options

New protein structures? Howz that? I know they modified wheat so that it would produce MORE gluten (wheat protein) but I've never heard of genetic manipulation being able to invent new proteins.

Yes, they have made crops be resistant to herbicides, but not MAD amounts of it are needed to keep the non-resistant (weeds) in check. Just the usual amounts.

It's not just that they have been genetically modified to resist herbicide spraying (weed control), but most (about 85% of crops) have also been modified to produce their own pesticide!

The plants produce vast amounts of BT-toxin including the Cry1Aa toxin which is a type of protein and there are studies that show that these toxins are present in human blood.

I suggest running a google search for "GMO built in pesticides" and take a look at the effects.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

New protein structures? Howz that? I know they modified wheat so that it would produce MORE gluten (wheat protein) but I've never heard of genetic manipulation being able to invent new proteins.

Yes, they have made crops be resistant to herbicides, but not MAD amounts of it are needed to keep the non-resistant (weeds) in check. Just the usual amounts.

It's not just that they have been genetically modified to resist herbicide spraying (weed control), but most (about 85% of crops) have also been modified to produce their own pesticide!

The plants produce vast amounts of BT-toxin including the Cry1Aa toxin which is a type of protein and there are studies that show that these toxins are present in human blood.

I suggest running a google search for "GMO built in pesticides" and take a look at the effects.

I suggest a review of pubmed and listening to scientists . . .
  • Blue801
    Options

I suggest a review of pubmed and listening to scientists . . .

Lol! Silly scientists! My husband is one of those. I tried to tell him the scary GMO proteins are potentially good for him. He's all like "where's the proof! Blah blah blah..." And now thanks to Fit2Strip I have photographic evidence! Wait... which side was the before again?
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Not all proteins are not enzymes. Most aren't. Enzymes are proteins. There's nothing wrong with eating GMO.
    Love, your neighborhood friendly geneticist.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options

I read that as baldness. And I loled.
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Not all proteins are not enzymes. Most aren't. Enzymes are proteins. There's nothing wrong with eating GMO.
    Love, your neighborhood friendly geneticist.

Not sure if that's a typo, but the vast majority of proteins are enzymes (I mean, if you had a list of all the different proteins, most would be enzymes, but of course if you're talking about the total AMOUNT of protein in the body then no, most of that is not made up by enzyme mass). However, 99% (I have no source for that number, I just mean mostly with a few rare exceptions) of enzymes are rendered useless by your highly acidic stomach and/or your highly alkaline small intestine. They unfold and they have no activity. Then they are digested by proteases into indvidual amino acids and are absorbed by your gut. There is still skepticism about the cytotoxicity of BT toxin, as previously mentioned because in nature we would encounter this toxin as a proto-toxin, however the gene inserted into GMO crops is a truncated version which could have adverse effects on our gut. There have been in vitro tests on a human cell line that suggest BT-toxin alone and in combination with a glyphosphate based herbicide increase necrosis statistically significantly (source: http://gmoseralini.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/mesnage2011.pdf). However, I haven't seen any in vivo testing. There has been some work done on mice I think but I haven't read much about it. That being said, I'm still pro-GMO in general. Not all GMOs are equal, which can make it difficult to discern which ones may damage the environment or our bodies (which would be pretty rare, maybe only in the case of BT toxin which was thought to be insect-specific) so do your research and use your head.
  • miamouse3
    miamouse3 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    GMO means (likely) buying American for one thing...

First off, I would like to say that while I went along with the anti GMO flow at first, that was before I truly understood. There's a whole lot of fear mongering.
    There are no proven risks to GMOs, but thats because there isn't enough data to really tell. So far, it seems okay. People think it goes against nature and immediately freak out. There's fears of them containing pesticides inside of them. Theres a lot of fears. But truth is? GMO's at the moment have more benefits than risks, and the benefits are more sure whereas the risks are merely the unknown.
    Here's how it works:
    You take plants with the qualities you need, like being disease resistant, healthy, and preferable taste/flavor. What it comes down to in the simplest terms is you breed them. Dog breeders do the same. They pick dogs with preferable features and behaviors and breed, with the goal of having a better product with the desired traits. Now, that selective breeding process just takes too long and has probability for failure, not to mention takes a whole lot of breeding to refine these traits, kinda like when theres talk of lineage whenever people talk about breeding animals.
    Everyone wants their food to be without pesticides, disease, well portioned, and tasty. Thats a lot of expectations, and there's a lot of diseases and pests and then just unsatisfying product likely to happen. That ups the prices. Now get rid of GMOs? Not only are the prices going to sky rocket and no one would be able to afford produce, but we jsut wouldn't have enough food to feed ours (and other countries) continually growing populations.
    So here comes GMOs, a scientific product that could turn out to be a huge win for everyone, so far without any known risks. GMO's are more resistant to things that will contaminate crops. To skip decades of selective breeding they have to modify it on a level not everyone feels okay with. There's no proven risks, but people fear it, they think its playing god. But these modifications take a significant chunk out of the breeding process, and produce products that help farmer's meet the demand.

Everyone is seeking the same thing: sustainable healthy produce to feed ourselves and our families.

We should stop assuming, and start investigating and learning about the possibilities and realities, for ourselves and others.

I know its a long article, but if anyone really cares about what is happening with their fruits and veggies and what the pros and cons of GMO's are, please give this a read. Its one of the best, most educational articles on the subject I could find that gave honest information.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/nature/fewer-pesticides-farming-with-gmos/
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've been a "organic foods are a scam" type of guy till recently. Now we eat organic only and actually save money since we eat less of . Need less to get full, and feel full much longer on organics. plus by not eating GMO's, you end up avoiding all fast food and all super high carb restaurants.....we lost weight by that alone.

I dunno for sure if GMO's are bad for you, but because theres even a question, I'm not risking my family's health. To each his own.
  • 9kitsune
    Options

THIS^^
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

THIS^^

+2