Purchasing 2 seats on an airplane

Options

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Even at my size, 6'2'', most airplane seats are damm uncomfortable (esp. when the jerk in front in front of me reclines his seat into my knees). Economy Plus or 1st will usually work out.

I am sorry, but i am not a jerk for reclining my seat.

Exactly! Exit rows and first class have more leg room.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    if you're too fat to fit in one seat, you should buy two seats for safety reasons AND to avoid pissing off the other customers, it's pretty simple.. if a mother boarded a plane with her baby, and tried to claim that she only needed one seat because she could squeeze them both in it wouldn't be allowed, because they wouldn't fit and it would be dangerous.

It's called traveling with "infant in arms" and you absolutely can do it, you just need to let the airline know when checking in (if you use the self-check in kiosks, it will specifically ask if you're doing it), because you need to be seated where there are infant life vests and additional oxygen masks.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Well for starters he would not have been allowed to sit like that in the seat, he's blocking the aisle and therefore creating a hazard, so there is the 1st clue to it being fake.

The person allowing him to check-in would have noticed his size & alerted him that he would have to buy another seat, another sign it's fake.

Then there is the matter of the seat belt... I know they have 'extenders' but it would still have not made him 'safe' at all due to where he is.

There you go enough reasons as to why it's fake.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Even at my size, 6'2'', most airplane seats are damm uncomfortable (esp. when the jerk in front in front of me reclines his seat into my knees). Economy Plus or 1st will usually work out.

LOL so someone is a jerk for doing what the seat allows them to do, really??
  • Abbie_Thompson
    Abbie_Thompson Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/02/travel/samoa-air-fare-by-weight/

We will probably see more and more of this.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The first time I saw this, it was an American Airlines flight, not an Australian one.

It looks "shopped" to me. I thought any obstruction of the aisles was a violation of air safety regulation?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    . if a mother boarded a plane with her baby, and tried to claim that she only needed one seat because she could squeeze them both in it wouldn't be allowed, because they wouldn't fit and it would be dangerous.

this is a great example of think/look something up before you type..
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    if you're too fat to fit in one seat, you should buy two seats for safety reasons AND to avoid pissing off the other customers, it's pretty simple.. if a mother boarded a plane with her baby, and tried to claim that she only needed one seat because she could squeeze them both in it wouldn't be allowed, because they wouldn't fit and it would be dangerous.

Infants under two years old can sit in a parent's lap as long as it is documented, and there is no need to purchase a seat for them unless there is reason for them to occupy it (international flights, etc.).

Back to the OP...when my parents began feeling uncomfortable in airplane seats, they began booking first class tickets. I know price can make it an issue, but for the comfort it really is worth it. And when my mom took me to Las Vegas for my birthday one year, sitting in first class was an added bonus for me.
  • DoingItMyOwnWay
    Options
    It's fine to have a lap baby on international flights. I've had lap babies on 12 hour flights.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    It's fine to have a lap baby on international flights. I've had lap babies on 12 hour flights.

^ This. We've flown repeatedly on 17+ hour flights with ours. Never again! lol But we did it . . .
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out that yes, this man is carrying extra weight but look at how wide his shoulders are! Both my husband and younger brother have crazy wide builds so even though they don't carry a lot of extra weight, they still take up more space than the average person. I also feel bad for crazy tall people on planes....there is no way their legs can comfortably fit in the space allowed in their seat!
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Wow, look how much taller he is than everyone else, too. I'm sure his legs are cramped in there like pretzels. At any rate, due to his width he should have bought two seats or the airline should have pulled him aside before boarding. At least he bought an aisle seat, but that doesn't help much when the cart needs to get by.

That was what I noticed right away. Yeah, he's fat. But he's huge too. Not only is he much taller than the other people, look how broad his shoulders are. He's going to take less space if he loses some weight, but still will be huge with less fat.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I don't think the photo is real. No airline attendants would let a flight take off with someone unable to buckle all the way.

This.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Um, I hate to break it to everyone who is having fun arguing about this, but it is entirely fake.

http://fiercefatties.com/2014/01/08/air-idiotica/

The pic is from 2009, and it would be illegal to take off like that.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Um, I hate to break it to everyone who is having fun arguing about this, but it is entirely fake.

This is MFP. You mind not ruining the fun?
  • melissa3324
    melissa3324 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Not to mention the 2 seats behind that row no one seems to be in. I am quite sure the picture is fake. I don't know where the picture came from, but did the guy with the blog post the picture? If so, its possible the guy just made it up or exaggerated quite a bit. I can't imagine the flight attendants being as incompetent as the guy claimed.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

My apologies. I will send you a box of gluten free cous cous and ask for forgiveness. Flame on.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I don't think the photo is real. No airline attendants would let a flight take off with someone unable to buckle all the way.

I also don't think this photo is real because there is no way to move down the aisle, which I'm sure breaks some health and safety law/procedure on an airplane.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

My apologies. I will send you a box of gluten free cous cous and ask for forgiveness. Flame on.

Is it non-GMO? GMOs make me break out in paranoia . . .