Are cheat days bad?

I find myself torn. I plan on doing a cheat day during the weekend because so many things come up on the weekend (movies, bbq's, etc.) but then I feel guilty if I indulge.

On the other hand, I don't want to feel I can NEVER have a day to just relax and not worry about it.

Can't decide!

Replies

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Whatever works for you, if you do it and still lose the same amount of weight, why not?
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    structured "cheats" are fine... don't just YOLO because it might bleed into more than just one meal... into a day.. few days.. week etc.
  • Cheat days are bad when you use them as an excuse to consume 5,000 or 6,000 calories in one day. It's better to have your "cheat day" mean you can have a "cheat meal". That way, if your weekends are very tempting, you can treat yourself once each day and keep the rest of those days light. This way you're eating what you want but aren't hindering the rest of your progress.
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    I'm not sure if they're 'bad' or not, but usually Friday is my 'relaxed day' as I go out with friends to pubs for dinner and a drink or two. However, during the day I watch calories, logging, and then 'relax' in the evening, not worrying about sharing a fry with friends or those 2 Cosmos.
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    I just have the mother of all cheat meals every Saturday
  • ashleydawnm16
    ashleydawnm16 Posts: 17 Member
    I couldn't do without cheat meals! Lol Saturday night is my cheat meal night and it's delicious every time! I find I just eat a bit lighter that day
  • rainynight3L33
    rainynight3L33 Posts: 35 Member
    I look forward to my cheat days, but even when I cheat, I still ban myself from eating things like french fries. I could eat so much chocolate instead :P When you cheat, try not to go way past 2000 calories.
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    I do allow myself to have cheat days. Once maybe twice a week. For instance, just on Friday I went to a BBQ Shack, but like you, I felt horrible about all the calories and jumped on the treadmill for an hour. Like someone said, just dont use it as an excuse. If you have a cheat day, at least TRY to lose some of those calories with exercise, dancing, walking, etc.
  • jdmomof3
    jdmomof3 Posts: 19 Member
    Thanks for the replies! I like the idea of a cheat meal once or twice a week.
  • Justin_34
    Justin_34 Posts: 15 Member
    Don't feel bad about cheat days, it's perfectly fine to eat whatever you like for 1 day if you are already spending 4-5 days exercising each week and eating healthy.

I am in pretty good shape and I love to indulge in my favorite fast foods once a week, pizza,mcdonalds,full irish breakfast and of course sweets and chocolate.

I include interval training into my workout regimen at least 2-3 times a week, which is an excellent way to burn body fat in the shortest amount of time. :)
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    I've got a way to go yet but am currently structuring in a 'cheat' meal on friday night. We haven't had takeout, we make it at home. Example: I make a pizza one week with lots of veg and not too much cheese or fatty meat - I use really nice spicy salami or something like that. Or my husband makes vegetarian nachos with beans & salsa, low fat sour cream but uses good old Doritos and mozzarella.
    Its a gradual change, i don't know exactly how many cals it is and I just try to make sure I don't go overboard - and I KNOW it's better than we used to eat.
    Also I fit a small piece of chocolate into my calories every evening to make sure I don't ban everything then lose the plot. LOL
  • Fit2Strip
    Fit2Strip Posts: 280 Member
    It depends on the relationship. Some people can handle it, others can't. You can't force an open relationship on your spouse if it's not something that appeals to them. My advice is to gauge their interest in a threesome and then make your decisions from there. If they are down, it's just a matter of time if you play your cards right. If they aren't, you're bound.. Just take it slow at first. Best of luck!
  • flipperscr83
    flipperscr83 Posts: 3 Member
    I have been doing MFP for about a year now. I have found, that one week of loss (2lbs), followed by a weekend you don't care too much to follow your calorie goals, that you dont get back to your previous loss until around Weds.

For example.

You weigh 200 at the beginning of week A
    Start of week B you weigh 198.
    End of week B you weigh 196
    You cheat for 2 days.
    You go wont go back to 196 until Weds of Week C.
    Meaning at the end of Week C, you now weigh 195 only 1 net lb loss for the week.

Does this make sense? So each cheat weekend puts you back 3-4 days in your weight loss goal.

Just my 2c
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Cheat days are bad when you use them as an excuse to consume 5,000 or 6,000 calories in one day. It's better to have your "cheat day" mean you can have a "cheat meal". That way, if your weekends are very tempting, you can treat yourself once each day and keep the rest of those days light. This way you're eating what you want but aren't hindering the rest of your progress.

Not true. I eat 6kcal + in one day on my planned cheat days once a week.

I still lose about 4-5kg/month because my average weekly kcal is still below my TDEE.

I burn a lot of calories doing crossfit daily + rowing(20-30 min).

It's based on your life style. If you just walk on the treadmill or jog 5-6 times/week 40 min/day, you can't eat 5k - 6k.

If you strength train/lift and do a lot of hiit/circuit training, yes you can handle it.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Don't feel bad about cheat days, it's perfectly fine to eat whatever you like for 1 day if you are already spending 4-5 days exercising each week and eating healthy.

I am in pretty good shape and I love to indulge in my favorite fast foods once a week, pizza,mcdonalds,full irish breakfast and of course sweets and chocolate.

I include interval training into my workout regimen at least 2-3 times a week, which is an excellent way to burn body fat in the shortest amount of time. :)

---> proof.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Yes. They're awful.

Please disregard the entire pizza and box of breadsticks I intend to eat today
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    I can't do it. In the past, I've seen a cheat meal turn into a day, then week, then month, then year .... Once I stop monitoring myself, it's hard to start again.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Several years ago when I did Weight Watchers, I had a cheat meal (not day) every other Saturday. I still consistently lost.
  • babybs
    babybs Posts: 48 Member
    Nothing wrong with a occasional cheat "meal". Just don't lose the whole day.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Yeah, I don't cheat. I just log everything I eat and adjust my input according to my results. Being able to work treats into my daily macros helps my adherence.