Why do some people say "don't count veggies"?

Options
Just wondering why some people say "Count calories because it's calories in vs calories out, but you can eat unlimited greens/broccoli"?
I can easily go through 2 of those steamed veggie bags a day (and I do :smile: ) and they're about 100 cals each. If you're making a deficit with calories in, calories out and a calorie is a calorie an extra couple hundred calories even from veggies will still make a difference, no?

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers has a zero value on fruits and veg which is fine if you follow their point system but if you are logging calories log your veg and fruit.
  • kalice29
    kalice29 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I wonder the same thing. I can eat a shocking amount of veggies.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Most likely because they are coming off of Weight Watchers, which doesn't count fruits/veggies.

However, you should count them, as they all have calories.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    We dont log veggies like green tree, capsicum, shrooms lettuce as they are all less than 20 cals / 100 g , typically we eeat less than 300g in a meal so its 60 cals.

Usually we will measure on the conservative side for denser veg like spuds, carrots, corn, avocado, so it balances out.
    If i was eating a full bag in a sitting i would log though.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yes I've only seen that statement with regards to weight watchers, but not really anywhere else. If I eat half a bag if baby carrots, personally, I'll log it. But a quarter of a green bell pepper chopped into a meat recipe, or a couple baby carrots to nibble on my not get logged. These items have been verified by me to be around 10 calorie items. Just like I might not log the one half or one mile walk to do some errands at my work place. Grr. Hate walking
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Most likely because they are coming off of Weight Watchers, which doesn't count fruits/veggies.

This.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I usually end up not logging greens in my salads. Mostly because 2 cups each of spinach, red leaf lettuce, and romaine lettuce is so calorically insignificant that it's not worth my time.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I usually end up not logging greens in my salads. Mostly because 2 cups each of spinach, red leaf lettuce, and romaine lettuce is so calorically insignificant that it's not worth my time.

Yeah, I do sometimes.

It was good to log it for awhile to build awareness, but once you realize the calories in some are SO low... It's hardly worth the effort.

Like adding some radishes to a salad... They don't get counted. A full cup is 18 calories. I might add one or two radishes total.
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't count non-starchy veggies....if they are greens and I'm eating normal portions I don't count it. I count all fruit because of the sugar.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You gain weight on a calorie surplus. Doesn't matter if it comes from veg or from ice cream.

It's silly not to log veg.

There are only 3 reasons not to do so... believing in "negative calories", only counting NET carbs, or to act as a filler in a diet that is otherwise ostensibly low calorie. After all, VLCDs are easier to stick to if you're getting an extra 300kcal or so from "uncounted" veg.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

This is the main reason I've seen as well.
  • TarynAngeline
    TarynAngeline Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. This is my thought process as well. Log veggies, but not necessarily the random super low cal or insignificant ones that are a waste of time.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    All calories count.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Weight watches encourages it's participants to eat more fruit and veggies.

To do that they give them for free...you ask how people can lose weight then?

Well with weight watches if you were to log all your food you would find that the points are about 70 calories each...yes I know fat and fibre are factors too..but it's about 70 calories.

So when I did WW I was given 17 points...that is 1190 calories.....I lost weight...sure I did...didn't keep it off tho.....
  • Rien5
    Rien5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    try to log vegetables its harder though because its chopped up and added to dishes. If its a salad that's easier. I log all fruits because I eat so many a day and need to watch sugar.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    You gain weight on a calorie surplus. Doesn't matter if it comes from veg or from ice cream.

There are only 3 reasons not to do so... believing in "negative calories", only counting NET carbs, or to act as a filler in a diet that is otherwise ostensibly low calorie. After all, VLCDs are easier to stick to if you're getting an extra 300kcal or so from "uncounted" veg.

I think this needs to be seen in context though - as PP's said, there is a sensible cut off point.

If I eat a banana I log it or I weigh vegetables like potatoes that have significant calories - but if I make a salad sandwich ,I log the main ingredients - it might not be worth logging a miniscule amount of shredded raw carrot that is in there too and that will total maybe 2 or 3 calories.

Sure, it adds up - but if its only such miniscule amounts of such low calorie foods, its not adding up to enough to matter.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options

What I do is just log X ounces of green salad with X tablespoons of whatever dressing (for a salad).
    A fruit is one piece of whatever fruit I was eating.

Fruits and veggies are so low in calories (except for avocados, which are monounsaturated fat).
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options

I think this needs to be seen in context though - as PP's said, there is a sensible cut off point.

If I eat a banana I log it or I weigh vegetables like potatoes that have significant calories - but if I make a salad sandwich ,I log the main ingredients - it might not be worth logging a miniscule amount of shredded raw carrot that is in there too and that will total maybe 2 or 3 calories.

Sure, it adds up - but if its only such miniscule amounts of such low calorie foods, its not adding up to enough to matter.

You're sort-of preaching to the choir. I don't really worry about the occasional calorie surplus, and I'm not the sort of person to fret about continually going a little bit over my goal, because I'm fine with losing 0.5lb or a little under 1lb a week on a regular basis, as long as I keep losing.

But I still log it all, because it helps me identify areas I can tighten my belt in, so to speak, if you know what I mean?
    And, also, I feel like it means I'm logging as diligently and accurately as possible. A lot of people genuinely underestimate the amount of calories in certain foods and overstate the amount of calories they burn.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Because the nonsense that is weight watchers.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers and the fact people like to pretend they don't eat nearly as much as they actually do. They like their day all nice and pretty in the green - when in reality they also ate 3 bananas, a bushel of broccoli, 2 apples, enough carrots to feed a rabbit for a year - and then they wonder why aren't they losing?!