strength training advice please.....

Options
So, I have been quite the cardio *kitten* (for lack of a better term) lately. I work out between 5-6 times a week which includes biking, walking, elliptical and C25k. Most of my workouts are between 45-60 mins, elliptical being between 30-45 mins. I know I need to start some kind of strength training in order to start toning.....correct? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :bigsmile:

Replies

• superkel317
    Options
    From what I've heard, you're supposed to do strength training, too. I've heard to alternate days, like do cardio one day, then strength training the next and follow that pattern.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    There are 2 schools of thought on this one:
    1. the body can only do either weight loss or strengthening efficiently, not both @ the same time
    2. the body needs to do both in order to avoid the "Sag" that comes with large amounts of weight loss

Pick your poison! (I've always done the 2nd one, but I definitely cycle with periods of tones of cardio and periods of bumping up my weights.

Also, never work the same muscles 2 days in a row (which is why you hear of body builders have chest days, legs days, etc). Always have a 24 hour rest period in between. And never go longer than 72 hours between strength training workouts but your body starts to lose the muscle it built in your previous workout after that time.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    A lot of athletes/trainers subscribe to the total body concept, unless you want to be a body builder or something, it is most effective to combine strength and cardio a few times per week. Maybe try doing some general conditioning intervals on elliptical days, warm up for 5 minutes, then do pushups for one minute, 5 on elliptical, then situps, 5 on elliptical then plank etc. On another day warm up, choose a few exercises (maybe two upper body, two lower) and do a few sets before your cardio session.
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    bump
  • k8ieP
    k8ieP Posts: 54
    Options
    There is a whole forum for people who want to lose weight and tone up. Stroutman81 is a personal trainer and wants to help everyone understand how to best get into shape. I am trying to lose weight and tone up. I do weight training twice a week and cardio 3 times a week or more. You need the strength training to protect your body from injury. When you do only cardio your body uses your muscle, tendons, and fat for energy. You need to protect your muscles and tendons.
    Stroutman recommends using REAL weights too. No more five pound dumbbells (unless you have never lifted in your life) You do six basic exercises and they get to every part of your body. Squats about 8 reps per set (you should just barely be able to lift the last one). Row, dead lift, pull up, and shoulder press should be completed the same way. All other weight lifting exercises are considered accessory and are not that helpful until you have built up on these.
    I tried to find a link to his blog but I couldn't.
    I have toned up all over and continued to lose weight (muscles constantly burn calories) with this method and I really enjoy actually lifting REAL weights in the guy's section.
    Good luck!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    There is a whole forum for people who want to lose weight and tone up. Stroutman81 is a personal trainer and wants to help everyone understand how to best get into shape. I am trying to lose weight and tone up. I do weight training twice a week and cardio 3 times a week or more. You need the strength training to protect your body from injury. When you do only cardio your body uses your muscle, tendons, and fat for energy. You need to protect your muscles and tendons.
    Stroutman recommends using REAL weights too. No more five pound dumbbells (unless you have never lifted in your life) You do six basic exercises and they get to every part of your body. Squats about 8 reps per set (you should just barely be able to lift the last one). Row, dead lift, pull up, and shoulder press should be completed the same way. All other weight lifting exercises are considered accessory and are not that helpful until you have built up on these.
    I tried to find a link to his blog but I couldn't.
    I have toned up all over and continued to lose weight (muscles constantly burn calories) with this method and I really enjoy actually lifting REAL weights in the guy's section.
    Good luck!
    Great advice!! Here's his blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Stroutman81
  • juberry
    juberry Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym where weight training classes are offered? At mine they are called "muscle challenge" or "pump". That's where I learned to use barbells and free weights. There are books and magazines that illustrate proper form. Or maybe a couple sessions with a trainer?

I think the basic idea is you begin with a pair of 5-7 lb weights and do some biceps curls and other useful exercises such as shoulder presses. As you progress you move up to 8-10 lb weights and then (and we're talking a lot of months or even a couple years here) on to 12-15 lbs. The deal here is that after you've gotten accustomed to a lighter weight, you need the heavier one or you will have to do ten sets of each exercise to get any effect. I like to do fewer reps with heavier weights because that way I can do more exercises in the allotted time.

My typical workout is 30-40 minutes of cardio followed by 30-40 minutes of weights, barbell, and core exercises. I take every other day off and just walk or swim laps on the alternate days. I wish I went to cardio kickboxing classes but I haven't had time. I do go to muscle challenge class about once a week.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Check out The New Rules of Lifting for Women or Starting Strength.
  • chatal36
    chatal36 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pedro_Infante
    Pedro_Infante Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    P90X is the answer. This will blend in perfect with your current activities.
  • tarapin
    tarapin Posts: 169
    Options
    Thanks for the amazing advice everyone! I don't belong to a gym yet but plan on joining the new Y that just opened near me! Been trying to be outdoors as much as possible before the cold weather comes then I will buckle and hit the gym!
  • donbogi
    donbogi Posts: 175
    Options
    Hello Tarapin!

I just had my third session with a personal trainer and I'm glad I invested money in it. It was the best thing I could do! I will send you a friend request and I'll shoot some good personal training tips to you!

Cheers!
    Don