Calling All Those on a Low-Carb Diet!

Options

Replies

• Lisa6206
    Lisa6206 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for almost 600 days. I lost about 50 lbs the old fashioned way, low calories, low fat. But then I found Keto/LCHF and started 10/7/13 and LOVE this lifestyle. I'm 76 lbs down now, with 30 to go. My diary is open, and I love trying new recipes to keep this interesting. Looking forward to sharing! Feel free to add me. =0)
  • jcast92
    jcast92 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow low-carbers!

I've been on MFP for about a year and a half but haven't participated in the social aspect of the site until now. I lead a low-carb, high-fat, wheat-free, sugar-free lifestyle - and I'd love for those of you who have a similar way of eating to add me as a friend on here. I am very diligent about updating my food diary and would love additional motivation to stay on track both nutrition- and exercise-wise. And I'd especially love to get some inspiration and ideas for new low-carb meals and snacks to add to my diet - from your food diaries. Thanks in advance! xo

That sounds great, but if you're going to be doing cardio, I would consider eating carbs. Glycogen is the primary form of energy for your body during endurance exercises, and you get it from carbohydrates. To be consistent with a good diet AND cardio, you should eat carbs to keep high energy levels!! Just eat complex ones
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I considered low carb once. Then I remembered eggos were carby.

More power to you folks :flowerforyou:

same here...then I learned that beer had carbs. :drinker:
  • getfitgal123
    getfitgal123 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    There is a blog called foodie fiasco that has some good low carb stuff.
    I like to make a big batch of shredded chicken in the crock pot to snack on with cheese.
    Also chicken salad made with bacon bits over romaine or broccoli slaw.
    Taco salad (without the chips obviously).
    I like Julian brand Paleo bread also.
    Flaxmeal pancakes - 1/4 c plain greek yogurt mixed with 3 T flaxmeal, 1 egg white and stevia. Fry in butter or ghee and top with sf syrup.
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow low-carbers!

I've been on MFP for about a year and a half but haven't participated in the social aspect of the site until now. I lead a low-carb, high-fat, wheat-free, sugar-free lifestyle - and I'd love for those of you who have a similar way of eating to add me as a friend on here. I am very diligent about updating my food diary and would love additional motivation to stay on track both nutrition- and exercise-wise. And I'd especially love to get some inspiration and ideas for new low-carb meals and snacks to add to my diet - from your food diaries. Thanks in advance! xo

That sounds great, but if you're going to be doing cardio, I would consider eating carbs. Glycogen is the primary form of energy for your body during endurance exercises, and you get it from carbohydrates. To be consistent with a good diet AND cardio, you should eat carbs to keep high energy levels!! Just eat complex ones

The body is an awesome machine: gluconeogenesis
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I use Lindas Low Carb Recipes

Excellent site. i use the recipes as a rough guide and change things around on them to suit my tastes.

I did low carb back in 2004 for about 9 months and went from 410 (or so) to 270 in 9 months. Kind of gave it up because it was just so hard to find different foods .

June 2011 I was 335 and decided to try Low Carb again. Found a bunch of Facebook groups for support and recipes along with a bunch of websites. lost 150 pounds in 13 months and for the most part have kept the weight off for the last 17 months. I gained about 15 pounds with a vacation and holidays but am on my way back down. Nice thing was even gaining the 15 my clothes still fit the same.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    1.5 cups ground almond/hazelnut/any nut would probably work
    3eggs
    1/2tsp. Salt
    Up to 1/4cup maple syrup

Blend together about 30 seconds
    Pour into muffin tin WITH LINERS or your ruin the tin
    Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375.

Really yummy muffins.

You can work with applesauce and stevia but I have not tried.
  • Andiidee
    Andiidee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had never thought of using a think chicken breast as a crust, but it is a great idea. I make cauliflower pizza crust:
    2 1/2 cups cooked cauliflower, (about 1/2 a large head)
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    1 1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
    2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

I whip it all up together in a food processor and add tomato sauce and toppings. I make mini pizzas this way and my whole family likes these. Sometimes I add other things to the crust like basil or oregano for more flavor.
  • jcast92
    jcast92 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow low-carbers!

The body is an awesome machine: gluconeogenesis

I know it can undergo gluconeogenesis, it just might be more effective (for the purposes of maintaining an interest in working out), to not stress the body so much suddenly.
  • floridapanthergirl
    floridapanthergirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Here is a good meal I call Greek Rolladen. At my grocery store I can buy very thinly sliced top round they call rolladen. I am sure any butcher could do this cut for you. It is VERY thin, about 3" wide and about 10" long. I make a mixture of feta cheese and black olives ( the good ones and without pits) I add a full handful of spinach at the beginning of the strip, roll it and add some of the feta mixture into a sort of short roll, bake in the oven, ususally 3 or 4 at a time and eat like you would a burrito. Great Food! Enjoy! Every time I make it, I rework the carbs, calories etc. according to how much the meat weighs, how many olives, etc. but it is LOW LOW LOW!
  • Linda09189
    Options
    I also do a version of low carb, however I do NOT do high fat cause that just doesn't make any sense to me....I eat mostly protein shakes, veggies, chicken, fish, I use south beach and atkin bars for my chocolate fix......
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you all, I'm sticking to wine coolers and McD's... Calories are calories, eat less then you burn = lose weight. Doesn't need to be more complicated then that. But what ever floats your boat I guess?
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crystal3276
    crystal3276 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi this is my 2nd time on MFP. I am trying low carb this time. I am new to the low carb diet so I would love any info or recipes that anyone wants to share.
    Thanks
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Right now one of my favorite low-carb meal is Pizza, since i always want it. I take 1/2 of a chicken breast and pound it out to about 1/4" then broil/bake it.. i use this as my crust. i pat it dry then top it with all my favorite pizza topping (sliced tomatoes, spinach and fresh mozzorella) then bake it for about 10-12 more minutes. so yummy and satisfies my pizza craving. :)

This is brilliant.
  • LeonaJo
    LeonaJo Posts: 11
    Options
    Oooh! Me me!

I'm actually doing a low carb diet because of health issues I'm having: candida and low blood sugar. I'm also exploring some food sensitivities because I get crazy migraines (that could also be related to blood sugar?). All of this is doctor's orders. Unfortunately my health stuff leaves me with a VERY short list of foods I can eat right now. Like, really really crazy short. BUT, it's worth it because I am committed to my health, and also noticing that I'm already losing weight. And eventually I'll be able to start adding some things back when the candida clears up.

Just a glimpse of what I'm dealing with: No sugars (including fruit & berries), yeast, flour/wheat/gluten, dairy, alcohol, grains, legumes (no peanut anything), processed meats, caffeine...what am I missing? Even certain sweet vegetables/potatoes. Plus I can't eat garlic or onions because I have a reaction. It's crazytown blandville...Thank GOD for avocados. :-)

Anyway, please feel free to add me, low-carbers of all kinds. Good luck everybody!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Bumping for a later read ....... I follow a lower-carb way of eating & would love to get some new ideas :drinker:
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    OMG, Bump...seriously, chicken breast pizza crusts!
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I LOVE low carb...have lost 45 pound since September!!!
    Two of my family favorites are:

Pulled pork
    I use the McCormick's Slow cooker pulled pork and substitute 3 Tablespoons Stevia for the brown sugar...put it in 1/2 red,yellow or orange pepper for a sandwich or put it on a salad with low fat Blue Cheese dressing. (we do the same with sloopy joe mix and taco meat)

after we have eaten it for a few days, I weigh it and put it in baggies and put the baggies in a freezer bag and freeze them...great for quick lunches...pull them out in the morning and they are defrosted by lunch!

It is also good on chicken!

If you like sauerkraut type foods, you will love this...we are going to try this on pork and chicken, also:

Slow Cooker Paleo Balsamic Roast

http://www.getcrocked.com/2013/10/21/slow-cooker-paleo-balsamic-roast/

2 lb. any beef roast, I used Top Round (use Grass-Fed for true Paleo)
    1 Lg. Sweet Onion, sliced
    8 oz. Tomato Sauce
    1/2 c. Balsamic Vinegar
    1/2 c. Filtered Water
    2 T. White Wine
    2 T. Coconut Oil
    Seasonings for rub (Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Smoked Paprika)

1.Generously season both sides of the roast with Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Smoked Paprika.
    2.Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sear each side of the roast for a few minutes
    3.Place sliced onions in the bottom of the slow cooker and put the seared meat on top of the onions.
    4.Combine balsamic vinegar and tomato sauce in a small bowl and pour over meat in the crock pot.
    5.Add filtered water and white wine to the hot skillet to de-glaze it, scraping up the brown bits on the pan.
    6.Pour the deglazed sauce mixture on top of the meat in the slow cooker.
    7.Cover & Crock on Low for 6-8 hours.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Not living a low carb lifestyle but In for the delicious recipes.

Thx!