Am I doing something wrong, or do I need to wait longer?

Options
2»

Replies

• merpmerp95
    Options
    To be honest, I don't think you are fueling your body enough to do the work your wanting it to do. You are likely burning a substantial amount of calories doing 10k training plus bike/elliptical/whatever. 1330 calories simply does not cut it. You should be eating at least half of your exercise calories back, if not all.

Fuel your body or your workouts will suffer, as well as your health.
    This. For sure. And what I see are a lot of carbs of the not very nutritious variety, and not enough protein or fresh foods in general.
    For the sake of argument, since you're already counting carbs, swap sugar for fiber in the tracker. See how much you're getting. I went back a few days and didn't see a single vegetable (other than lettuce and some tomatoes). Lots of bread, and some fruit. What do you have your macros set to? A diet "rich" in grain carbs can make you feel bloated (thus the reason folks who go "low carb" usually lose water weight quickly).

Yes, you're in school. It can be done. :smile:

Yeah I see what you're saying now. I kinda do have a problem eating too many carbs, I will go and get some fresh fruits/vegetables tomorrow. I also didn't think about fiber being an issue, either. Thank you so much!
    To be clear, I'm NOT suggesting you go low carb. Just try to eat more nutrient dense foods, and know that much bread can make some folks feel a bit bloated. And then there's fiber.

Right right, I understand. Thank you :)
  • merpmerp95
    Options
    I would suggest going for less processed foods where possible. The foods you are eating aren't that bad in themselves, but there does seem to be a lack of whole foods, which are going to give you the best fibre content (generally) and help 'keep things moving'.
    If you do have problems with bowel movements and you aren't able to add extra high fibre natural foods, maybe try adding in something like a handful of prunes or some prune juice once or twice a week.
    I would also suggest upping your water intake, especially when you exercise. Ironically the less water you take in, the more likely you are to end up retaining water.
    Are you able to use a slow cooker where you are? For about 5-10 minutes prep work you can chuck on a casserole or soup in the morning, and come home to a well cooked healthful meal.

I dont have much of a problem using the bathroom but yeah i definitely am lacking whole foods.
    The only thing I can have in my room is a microwave. :(
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You are not eating too many carbs, dairy, fat, sugar......blah, blah, blah....If you are not losing weight, you are eating too many CALORIES. Eat the foods you like, weigh and measure all your food. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. You don't need to restrict your diet.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    b) are you eating things that can contribute to bloated-ness (think lots of bread/pasta, sodium, fried/crispy, dairy)

I had issues with bloating for years until (during an elimination diet prescribed by my doctor) I cut out the foods that were causing it. I didn't lose any weight, which is fine since I was on maintenance anyway, but I lost an entire size (from 8 to 6) within a week just from de-bloating! My problem foods were dairy and wheat. I think it's different for everyone, but those two are common culprits...

ETA: I agree with the previous poster that weight loss is all about consuming fewer calories. I'm not saying cutting out certain foods would help weight loss. I'm saying cutting out certain foods can help with bloating and other digestive issues. :flowerforyou:
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Meh, I say upping cals a bit couldn't hurt. Neither would less processed foods, more fruits and veggies.

But as for the dairy, you can have a sensitivity to it that does cause bloating, but doesn't cause severe enough symptoms to be diagnosed with intolerance. Most people have so much animal dairy in their diet that they grow up thinking that feeling that way is normal. So they never notice or report any issues.

How do I know? My daughter was born highly allergic to milk. I was breastfeeding her and the doctor asked me to go off dairy for a bit. I did and I felt better. And I didn't even know I felt bad before. Doctor told me I probably had a slight sensitivity to it all along. But keep in mind it takes about two weeks to get it out of your system, so cutting it out for a day isn't going to do much.

I mostly stick to almond milk, or the occasional oz of cheese. Every now and then I'll have milk. But keeping it to the exception definitely reduced my bloat.