Does your HRM count calories while you are sitting?

Options
2»

Replies

• Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Yes its going to show you calories are being burned even while sitting because you still have a heart rate which is how it is calculating that number. So it's not a problem with your HRM but that is not what it is intended to be used for.

Exactly .. your heart is still beating while you are sitting. And .. as a result you are still burning calories .. ie BMR. It is a math calculation .. as it does not really use anything but your heart rate to determine calories based on your stats that you input.
  • xbellezx
    xbellezx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think some people are missing the point of what the op is asking. He is worried that his HRM is defective because when he is wearing it and sitting there doing nothing it is still saying he is burning calories.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Simple answer. No.

um you obvously have no clue what a HRM is.
    it measures heart rate and converts that to probable calories burned doing anything while it's active.
    so yes it would count calories doing anything, it would count calories if you were in a coma. Aslong as you have a pulse it can detect it will register.

a fitbit registers movement not specifically steps you can test this by wearing it on your wrist and shaking your hand and it will register steps so for that it's faulty, and atleast in my case it tends to register alot higher calories burned then the HRM if i go into activity/sleep mode, however as a pedometer it is a good guide and the overall TDEE it registers atleast in my case is relatively stable and lower then the HRM would register if wore it for a 24hour period.

now i have had a Polar FT4 a FT7 and now i have a FT60 and they all do strange things, they aren't meant to be an accurate guide but they do tend to register really high or really low at random times, depending on your body composition sitting should be about 1 calorie a minute, now at 31Kgs lost and a VO2 rating of 46 i only burn 3-5 calories a minute walking briskly.

Thats the other thing you could test your VO2 rating, if you have a high rating you are fitter and tend to burn alot less then someone with a really low VO2 rating. the above 3 devices if that's what you have have the ability to test your VO2, or you could do it via a VO2 calculator i think, work out yours based on your average hear rate at rest during a 5 minute period while breathing normally.

ironic. it looks like you're the one that doesn't have a clue about what a hrm is.

lol@hrm counting calories in comas, sitting, or "anything". you may wish to read the owners manual of your device before calling people out next time

Clearly it is you who are the moron, if you have a heart beat a HEART RATE MONITOR is gonna register BPM which it converts to probable calories burned based on the age, height and weight you put in same as MFP does, same as all the calculators do. whether it's 1 calorie a minute or lots it is still an estimate, i never stated it was a good system or you should count those calories as gospel i clearly said yes it does count calories whatever you are doing.

In...

...to figure out who the moron is.
  • SkinnyRach22
    Options
    Why do people have to get so angry? geez
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I think some people are missing the point of what the op is asking. He is worried that his HRM is defective because when he is wearing it and sitting there doing nothing it is still saying he is burning calories.

i'm reasonably certain this has been asked, answered (including a good one from you), and understood by the OP based on his response.
  • xbellezx
    xbellezx Posts: 32 Member
    Options

i'm reasonably certain this has been asked, answered (including a good one from you), and understood by the OP based on his response.

Yeah I get that. I just don't understand why people need to argue about something that doesn't really matter when the actual question has been answered.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Why do people have to get so angry? geez
    Helps keep that heart rate over 120 bpm!

Either that or pissing contests
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Yeah I get that. I just don't understand why people need to argue about something that doesn't really matter when the actual question has been answered.

^this

Efficiency is the key to MFP forums.

It's how I keep my forum post numbers to an average of one per month.

Er, wait. What?
  • Orient_Charm
    Orient_Charm Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thank you all.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Fair question.

The answer is that many people aren't in it just to answer the question for the OP. Hundreds of people lurk each topic without posting and many of us want to make sure the information that they receive is accurate. The OP has his answers but leaving misleading information won't do the people that see this topic later today, tomorrow, or 10 years from now any good.