Pregnant - what should I set my calorie goal to?

Options
I just found out that I'm pregnant, and I want to track my foods to ensure I'm eating a healthy and reasonable diet. Should I edit my goal to "maintaining weight", even though there is no way I will maintain my current weight over the course of the next few months?

Replies

• DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    MFP is a great place...although to do the best by you and your baby you should probably check with your doctor about your calories/eating/fitness plan during pregnancy. BTW Congratulations!!!
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Your dr is the person to ask.
  • lynleeg88
    lynleeg88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'd check with your doctor. But from my research, they say you need about 300 calories extra a day. I'd say for every ten pounds gained, reevaluate what your body needs to function then add 300 to it.

But honestly, on something this important I would not rely on internet help, as savvy and helpful as a lot of people on here (no offense to anyone!) and ask your doctor.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Dr is the place to start. Because it depends on your health, current weight and your babys age among other factors.

Though... I gained 15-20 with both my kids. I never intentionally ate more. Honestly, I let my body dictate eating. But I was also aware that my baby was getting what I was so I made much better choices than when not pregnant. I found that I ate the most in the second trimester. First trimester I didn't feel different. And third the baby was so big I couldn't eat very much.

Congrats!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I would ask the nutritionist here and my Dr. they should both be on the same page. or ask the nutritionist and then run it by the Dr. and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!
  • saracantthink
    saracantthink Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Definitely ask your doctor! It is more important that you get the right nutrients. It is bad for your baby to diet while you are pregnant, but you may need extra calories. And don't forget the prenatal vitamins, they are very important and you need to start them asap! I am pregnant too, so if you need some support you can friend me =)
  • Synamin
    Synamin Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Your OB should set your target weight gain goals based on your current weight and health status.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You should eat +300-500 calories a day if you want to maintain weight + baby weight.
  • PhitnessWorks
    Options
    When I was pregnant I set my goal to 1500 calories a day.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I see this a lot on these forums when this is asked, seems reasonable.

Trimester ----
    1st: Maintanence
    2nd: +.5 lb a week
    3rd: +1 lb a week
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I eat more than that now.
    Wouldn't this, like everything else be based on height, weight, age, and then how far along etc?

In other words, yes, ask your doctor, until then: eat to fuel your bodies.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I eat more than that now.
    Wouldn't this, like everything else be based on height, weight, age, and then how far along etc?

In other words, yes, ask your doctor, until then: eat to fuel your bodies.

I vote this. I eat more than this as well.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! Please talk to your doctor about what you should do tho- not us ;)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I am very pleased that nearly all of the posters to this thread have recommended asking the doctor. Growing a baby is far too important to entrust to random posters on MFP!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You should eat +300-500 calories a day if you want to maintain weight + baby weight.

The additional calories aren't usually suggested until the second and third trimester. Again, that is the average case.

Like everyone else said, talk to your doctor. How much you should be looking to gain depends on where you started, whether you were over/under weight or in the ideal range.

For my first trimester, I changed mine to maintenance and eat back my exercise calories. I am now at the end of my first trimester and go tomorrow for my check up. I'll see what she says then.
  • ifyouknew
    ifyouknew Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! How exciting for you!

I'm a family doctor who works in a maternity clinic, so I feel qualified to answer this one. You prenatal care provider (doctor or midwife) can tell you how much you should gain in your pregnancy, depending on your starting BMI. Here in Canada, we use this calculator:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/prenatal/bmi/index-eng.php

If you start with a normal BMI (18.5 to 24.9), your recommended gain will be 11.5-16 kg (25-35 lbs), but very little of that should be at the beginning of your pregnancy. We like to see average-weight women gain:
    0.5-2 kg (2-4lbs) total in the first trimester (weeks 0-12)
    5.5-6.5kg (12-14 lbs) in the second trimester (weeks 13-27), and
    3.5-4.5kg (8-10 lbs) in the third trimester (weeks 27-40)

So, that's very little in the first trimester, and then 0.4 kg (3/4 to 1 lb) per week after the first trimester. If you start with a BMI in the overweight range, you will need to gain less, and if you start underweight, you will need to gain more. (And of course if you are carrying twins, your goals will be very different too! So definitely ask your doctor to make sure these guidelines apply in your case.)

In practical terms, this works out to about 100 extra calories per day in the first trimester, and about 200 extra calories per day in the second and third trimesters. These extra calories can come from any type of food, but try to make it something healthy! Milk, low-mercury fish, or vegetables are all great sources of extra energy.

If you are worried about gaining too much, the very best piece of advice I can give you is this: don't drink any calories except for milk. A lot of pregnant women crave juice, and when I point it out and we add it up together, some of them are amazed to find that they are drinking 500-1000 calories a day from what they think of as a 'healthy' beverage! They cut out the juice and sure enough, their weight gain slows down to a healthy rate.

The best news I have for you is this: breastfeeding burns even more calories than being pregnant. So, while you don't get to eat that much extra when you're pregnant, if you choose to breastfeed you will get to indulge a bit more then!
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I second what ifyouknew says... I used to do education for newly pregnant mamas when I worked at an OBGYN office. Then advice from my mom... eat as close to naturally occuring foods as possible (ha ha ha ha). I gained alot during both of my pregnancies, and if I had to "do over" I would eat alot more sensibly. Calories are calories, but how you choose those calories can be very important!
  • TimElwis
    Options
    Congrats! I think you should see your doctor each month to set goals. You don't want to risk the little one.
  • dedgjonator
    Options
    Congratulations on your pregnancy. How far along are you? Seems like yesturday I was pregnant with my third but she's just turned 8 months. A few tips to prevent morning sickness being too bad. Not telling you it will be, its just incase. Many lucky women don't get morning sickness at all. Keep Ginger Biscuits next to your bed and eat one before getting up. Keep eating little but often. Baby will take whatever it needs from you so you may need to up your calories but not double them. Take it easy don't over do things.
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    Congrats!! I just found out on the 29th that I am expecting as well. We conceived through IVF so I have so much water retention to get rid of, and swelling from surgery! My RE said during the first trimester you really don't need that much additional, it's the 2nd and 3rd trimester where you need more. I eat around 1300 per day, and going to increase to 1400 just because I am afraid 1300 is too low. He said he really doesn't want me to gain any more than 5 lbs in first trimester.