What am i doing wrong?

Options
Please take a look at my food diary. I eat healthy for the most part, even though I have been indulging just a bit more because of the holidays and I just had my birthday on top of it. But i have been keeping up with my exercise and trying to get back on track with eating healthy for the most part. Is there anything in my diet that you can see as really holding me back? I am trying to get a flat stomach but it seems impossible. I don't have a big stomach just a little extra fat and I wish my legs were just a little more tone. I am 18 and 5'5 and weigh 132lbs. I exercise 4x a week. 2x strength training, 2x hiit. I use fitnessblender videos, if you know what those are. As far as my diet you can look at my dairy. I have been trying to maintain my weight but I'm still trying to achieve a flat stomach like I said. I am trying to eat about 1800 - 1900 calories. Should I be eating more or less? What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• hml_rachel
    Options
    Bump
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You should track every meal, every cheat day, every sip of alcohol... I see missing days and meals all over the place?

If you are going to have big cheat days, lower the amount of calories you eat on a daily basis. Use the weekly view to track your weekly calorie progress.
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi :smile: like the posted before me said it's really important you log all your food. Especially with the last few lbs as they can often be the hardest.

Stomach fat is often stubborn and as they say "abs are made in the kitchen" so to get that flat tummy you will need to be vigilant with healthy eating, exercise and staying hydrated.

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Inconsistency with your food will lead to inconsistent results. Start there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft, 6 in and I had to get my weight down to around 120lbs (almost 20lbs lower than my original goal weight), before I had a flat stomach. Had nothing to do with exercise or what kinds of food I was eating-had to lose the excess weight/fat to get rid of my stomach pooch and I did that by continuing to eat at a calorie deficit.
  • Earth2Graceee
    Options
    Do you normally only eat one or two meals a day?? That was a problem for me! Now I drink shakes in the morning because I don't like cooking/eating in the mornings.
  • MsRoseliciouz
    MsRoseliciouz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • Jmfletcher78
    Jmfletcher78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    so one of the best things that I have discovered that you can do is eat smaller multiple meals a day, and if you exercise try and eat back your calories, eating one or two meals a day causes your blood sugar levels to fluctuate drastically which will eventually inhibit you from loosing any weight. Eating 5 or 6 meals a day (which i see you have your diary set up to do) keeps your blood sugar levels stable and your metabolism running high (think of it as feeding a fire). on another note, I cant see how much sugar you are consuming daily but it might be a good idea to start tracking your sugar intake...good luck!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    so one of the best things that I have discovered that you can do is eat smaller multiple meals a day, and if you exercise try and eat back your calories, eating one or two meals a day causes your blood sugar levels to fluctuate drastically which will eventually inhibit you from loosing any weight. Eating 5 or 6 meals a day (which i see you have your diary set up to do) keeps your blood sugar levels stable and your metabolism running high (think of it as feeding a fire). on another note, I cant see how much sugar you are consuming daily but it might be a good idea to start tracking your sugar intake...good luck!

No. Just, no.
  • Jgal8123
    Jgal8123 Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Agree with an earlier post that your protein intake seems low
  • SimplyMicheleR
    SimplyMicheleR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about the belly, the thing to cut is wheat/gluten. My husband is Celiac, and since he went GF (when we found out about this) his belly flattened out, even though he did not loose weight at the time. there is lots of info out there about how wheat causes bloating, and I am finding it is true for me as well. (this is, like everything else, not true for all, so YMMV)
  • MsBluelipstick
    Options

No. Just, no.

If you are going to disagree with him can you please explain why? Because that is kind of how I was always thought to lose weight, if there is other schools of thought I would like to know
  • pklme
    pklme Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm going against the flow here, but maybe it would be better to learn to love the way you are? We don't all need to be the same, and if you are fit and healthy it is ok to have a little curve on your tummy.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Are you entering your own recipes? I see a lot of entries that are like "potatoes fried in oil" and I'm wondering whether you use the recipe builder or if you're just using someone else's database entries.

I'd do it like this:

Raw Russet Potato-- 225 grams
    Vegetable oil-- 2 tbsp

That way you know exactly how much potatoes and how much oil.

Do you add milk or butter/oil to your scrambled egg? The entry for scrambled egg says 70 calories, which would be just the egg without anything else added. See what I'm saying?
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

No. Just, no.

If you are going to disagree with him can you please explain why? Because that is kind of how I was always thought to lose weight, if there is other schools of thought I would like to know

Its a fallacy that one must eat smaller frequent meals throughout the day.

If it works for you and keeps you successful, go for it.
    But for some, it causes them to always be thinling about food and create an unhealthy mindset.

Plenty of people are successful eating one or two meals a day and for only a certain portion of the day. Its called intermittent fasting
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

No. Just, no.

Meal timing has little to no effect on weight loss. Some find that 6 meals is better for adherence and performance (I am one of those) but others find that they do better if they skip breakfast or only eat once per day. The best plan is the one to which you'll stick long term. Your metabolism does not need to be stoked.

Sugar is fine in the context of an otherwise healthy diet with the right calorie intake. I've lost all of my weight going over sugar every day. Also, MFP's sugar limit is basically useless because it is set to the recommended amount of added sugar, but then it counts ALL sugar toward that amount. One piece of fruit and you're over. Instead I'd just track carbs. If your carbs are in line then your sugar is too, unless you've got a health issue that requires limiting sugar.
  • AllezAllez1
    AllezAllez1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Get more exercise, and push yourself harder when you work out. You are only raising your HR twice per week
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Also you're in the healthy range for your height, so at this point it's just going to be a matter of patience and consistency.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Do you normally only eat one or two meals a day?? That was a problem for me! Now I drink shakes in the morning because I don't like cooking/eating in the mornings.

If you don't want to consume food in the AM, dont.
    You dont have to eat nreakfast to be successful.
    I'd rather save my calories for lunch and dinner.
    So I have coffee and water. And at like 930am, ill have a hard boiled egg and have more calories at lunch and dinner.