I'm confused!!! Help!!!

Options
So ....I'm confused on how much I should be eating per day in calories to lose weight. I exercise 6-7 days a week for 1-2 hours. That consists of elliptical and some weights. I'm 5'4 and weigh 258 pounds and my goal is to lose 100 pounds. I've tried every calculator and some say to eat around 1600 a day and others say around 2,000!!!

Suggestions???

Replies

• missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Ya the calculators can be inconsistent. I would suggest picking a number between the ones you got and start there for a few weeks. See how much you lose. If you think you are losing too little, go down by 100 cals or so. If you are getting tired, hungry, etc.go up by a few hundred. It'll be trial and error until you find the sweet spot that works for you. Good luck!
  • mrcharisma
    mrcharisma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think you would lose weight at both of those calorie intake levels (i.e., 1600 and 2000). Depends on how quickly you want to lose weight. Also, 2000 "good" calories (tiny, nutritious meals sparking your metabolism) is much better than 1600 lousy calories.

Good luck!
  • Purpleflowersss
    Options
    Good idea ...thanks!!
  • Purpleflowersss
    Options
    That's very true! Thanks!
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    tiny meals or any other meal doesn't spark your metabolism. No food really spikes or increases your metabolism. ... and you don't need to eat 20 times a day or any of that other common repeated pseudo science. You want to lose weight with the most about of calories as possible. This will make it slower but it will also support the rest of your body…people remember….you're more than the fat you're trying to burn off! You need calories and nutrition from food in order to run EVERY process of your body. As much work as you're supposedly doing I'd shoot for 2000 and see what the scale does. Just be sure you're weighing and not just guesstimating or taking packages words for it or measuring in other forms.
  • Purpleflowersss
    Options
    I bought a scale ...so yea, I'm weighing my food in grams. My brother's pretty healthy and a gym rat and tried explaining the MICROS thing to me, but I'm a little slow and didn't understand it. That's what children do to you :/.

Thanks for the advice though!!