polycystic ovaries and diabetes :( :S

Options
Hello People,

sorry i have been gone for so long :( , i have recently found out that i have polycystic ovaries and that this will affect my weight and make it hard to lose weight. Apparently my body will use all the sugar and those sugars from carbs and turn them into fat as my hormones are unbalanced :/.

i have been told that i have to eat like i have type 2 diabetes, i have been trying to look into this, but i was wondering if anyone had any hints or tips for me.

Thank you.
:) xxx

Replies

• pamazado
    pamazado Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/
    This link will take you to the best resource for diabetes...I have taught diabetes education as a nurse( thinking I would need it) and this is a great site! I wish you the best!
  • ppenton
    ppenton Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Actually I saw a nutritionist for this, Insulin resistance and thyroid problems because I could not loose weight. She told me I needed to eat 6 times a day having the following

Snacks (3 times a day) 1 carb at each snack - 1 carb equals 15 grams
    Breakfast, Lunch and Supper - 3 to 4 carbs at each meal
    (These are the good carbs, fruit, whole grains, etc.)
    60 grams of fat a day.

I went on October 18th and on November 18th I had lost 10.8 pounds. I have never done anything like this and managed to get past week 2 because the food I was eating was not helping - following the above I am dropping pounds and I feel wonderful. Last night I actually bought a pair of pajama pants in a smaller size. I am stoked about this.
  • fairy06
    Options
    thank you for all your advice x
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have that, & unfortunately it's true.
    However, it's not impossible to lose the weight--it just takes us a little longer, with a bit more effort.
    I've found that keeping my blood sugar within a normal range throughout the day tends to have a positive effect on my exercise & weight loss.
    I've lost inches moreso than weight so far, but I know it's coming off. :]
    Monitor your daily sugar intake if you don't already on here. Around 30-35g per day should be a good limit.
    Also monitor your carbs, because they are a type of sugar as well. I go by MFP's set limit on my carb intake, & it's rare that I go over it (even with my junk food), so it def should be enough.
    But most importantly--don't deprive yourself of treats ! I've found a lot of sugar-free/nearly sugar-free treats--even Starbucks offers sugar-free syrups & allows you to sweeten your coffee with Splenda.
    :] Overall, don't fret--because you can get through it ! Once you get on track & know exactly what you need to do, it'll feel like second-nature soon enough.
    Good luck ~
  • fairy06
    Options
    oo thanks - whats your fave sugar free treat? x
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have this addiction to York Peppermint patties--so I was floored when I found out that they offered a sugar-free version ! :)
    I also pick up sugar-free parfaits from my grocery store, & they're yummy for a snack--I think about 25 calories per serving.
    It took some shopping around to find stuff, but the finds were so worth it. ~
  • fairy06
    Options
    ooo thanks ill get on that! x
  • Neuroticwench
    Neuroticwench Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have both polycystic ovaries (PCOS) and diabetes, and yes, it is definitely much harder to lose weight, but it can be done! It all comes down to diet and exercise, not to mention attitude. If I can do it, so can you! :flowerforyou:
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Hey, cheer up!! I promise, it's not the end of the world. I've been there in the beginning and I know it's frustrating, can be quite scary and very overwhelming. Take a deep breath!! :)

Next, take words like can't and impossible out of the equation.

Then, tell yourself, it's one day at a time. We didn't do this over night to ourselves, so it's not going to happen over night that we correct things. Tell yourself it's a journey and a learning process. Take small steps. Change one or two things at a time. If you try to change everything at once, you're liable to set yourself up for failure. We don't want that. :)

Pick one or two things you want to focus on, such as making the calorie limit, adding exercise, changing a food, etc. Once you succeed and make it a habit, add another or two. Over time, everything becomes a new habit for the better.

It can be done and I'm proof of that. Believe me, if I can, anyone and their mother can!! What the others have said, listen to them. The carb count...1 (15 grams) for snack, etc...that's right on the money for what I was told and believe me, it works.

I'm not only dealing with PCOS and Diabetes, I also have MS, Endometriosis and Adenomyosis. Any ailment can cause a hinderance from time to time. Just be stronger than the diseases...don't let them control you; you control them! :)

Best of luck!! You can do it!! :)
  • fairy06
    Options
    thank you all x :flowerforyou:
  • SJSchwartz
    Options
    There are lots of different levels with PCOS. I have it too, but I am not restricted to a diabetic diet. I am fat simply because I have been lazy and ate without caring how much was going into my mouth. Now I'm just following the MFP guidelines, and staying within (most days) my calorie allotment. And I am losing weight :) And it's really not all that hard for me to do when I put my mind to it. I usually only eat 3 times a day, plus one or two snacks. I don't have diabetes though, but am pre-diabetic. I'm hoping my weight loss will greatly lower my chances of getting diabetes. PCOS has not been a death sentence for me, in fact, I forget that I even have it most times. My symptoms are rare periods, infertility (but we've adopted, so I even forget about that too now), and hair-loss. I hate the hair-loss the most, but my husband couldn't care less about it, so it's easy to forget about that too. So yes, I have PCOS, but it doesn't affect my daily life. I don't know what level of PCOS you have, but maybe it won't be that bad for you. Maybe you should experiment with your diet and just see what works for you. I know a low-carb one wouldn't work for me, I'd have too many cravings and then over-eat.