I can not lose weight !!

Options
Hi ...I just joined .... I am not sure what to do and ready to pull my hair out . I am 5'9" and 238 ,I have always worked out and lifted weights for a long time . . I deiced to really start cardio and try to shed this layer of fat . I work out doing HIIT and running at 4.5 to 5 mph 4 to 5 times a week for about 30 to 35 mins ... and the scale keeps going up ......I have wanted to just call it quits a few times .... I stopped eating sugar , and switched to almond milk , don't track calories to close but do eat egg whites for breakfast , lean proteins and complex carbs . I am not sure what to do ?? It seems just looking at food lately will add a pound or two ....Help !

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    You don't track calories too close.

That's probably the problem.

I can eat 'healthy' all day long but if I am not weighing say, yogurt portions, meat/chicken/turkey portions, fruit/vegetable portions, cheese, sauces/dressing, avocado, etc. (examples of food) it can and does add up quickly.

For me, I HAVE TO weigh portions. I've been using a food scale for at least 1.5 years and even I still can't eyeball a peanut butter portion or a cereal portion, cheese portion, meat portion. My eyes might say "that looks right" but if I were to then weigh it, I am sure it's not right, it would probably be too much.
  • Whambam087
    Options
    Diet is key for weight loss. You can do all the exercise you want in the world but if your eating more calories then you expend you won't lose weight. So how does your diet look? Are you in a deficiet? Healthy food does not automatically mean calorie deficiet. You can gain weight eating nothing but apples and carrots if you eat too much lol.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You got to log your food accurately. You can't out-exercise a bad diet. If you eat too much, you'll gain weight.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Switching workouts can cause a gain to show on the scale as your body adjusts, so give it time. Also, tracking what you eat is key. I get not wanting to track everything forever, but you really should in the beginning to get as else of what you're really eating. It can be eye opening, especially portion sizes once you take the time to measure.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Log your food accurately and honestly, oh and change your attitude. You signed up to a calorie counting site and are not using the tool you signed up for. Get a digital scale and start tracking your calories. You do not have to cut sugar or anything else out of your diet, just find a reasonable calorie deficit and go from there.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi ...I just joined .... I am not sure what to do and ready to pull my hair out . I am 5'9" and 238 ,I have always worked out and lifted weights for a long time . . I deiced to really start cardio and try to shed this layer of fat . I work out doing HIIT and running at 4.5 to 5 mph 4 to 5 times a week for about 30 to 35 mins ... and the scale keeps going up ......I have wanted to just call it quits a few times .... I stopped eating sugar , and switched to almond milk , don't track calories to close but do eat egg whites for breakfast , lean proteins and complex carbs . I am not sure what to do ?? It seems just looking at food lately will add a pound or two ....Help !

track your calories better...
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Spend a week weighing everything (Everything!) you eat. I think you'll be surprised. What you eat is 95% of losing weight.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Log your food accurately and honestly, oh and change your attitude. You signed up to a calorie counting site and are not using the tool you signed up for. Get a digital scale and start tracking your calories. You do not have to cut sugar or anything else out of your diet, just find a reasonable calorie deficit and go from there.

This^^^
    Be sure to eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight. But the only way to be sure, us to count the calories, measure every bit of food, weigh everything, and you'll lose weight!
  • jaquwa
    jaquwa Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You will never out train a bad diet. I have had 18 months of gains, tracking food on and off and not being focused, but was still buirning in excess of 3000 calories a week in the gym.....
    I am back to tracking now, back losing weight and it is all because I am weighing, measuring and tracking everything.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Yes you can.

Use this tool. Weigh everything you consume. Remember that weight loss isn't linear and don't fixate on the scale

Good luck
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Weigh and log your food and keep your caories at a reasonable deficit.
  • Whambam087
    Options
    And yeah certain items are more accurately assessed on a scale instead of going by the measurement cup...my beloved peanut butter for instance! It says a serving size is 32 g or two tbsp, but when I measure out two tablespoons and weigh that on the scale it comes out to 42 g not 32! In the case of a calorie dense food like peanut butter that can really add up extra calories.
  • Synamin
    Synamin Posts: 80 Member
    Options

We are similar in height and weight. You are welcome to take a look at my diary and add me as a friend if you like. I am losing about 2lb a week eating at a 1000 calorie daily deficit.
  • befitnow3
    befitnow3 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Log every bite. You will see what the pattern is. This is a good article-
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-10114/8-reasons-why-youre-not-losing-weight.html
    Good luck!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% what you eat and 20% what you do. If you're not going to count calories, you're not going to lose weight.

Don't do something stupid like starve yourself; it's not sustainable and will cause you to lose muscle mass, making it easier for you to gain weight. It's why people go on crash diets and then gain back more than they lose. Start here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You need to do a complete 180 on your priority. Food tracking and establishing your TDEE come first then the gym will help push the weight loss along. It's been said in many of the forums before and I agree 100% weight loss is 80% nutrition 20% exercise. The 20% exercise is really just to maintain LBM help with body recomp and to feel good. There are people who have lost tons of weight without working out at all.