Measuring cooked pasta

Options
I'm just starting my fitness journey, and ran into a problem today with trying to figure a portion size for cooked pasta (penne). I already know that the 2 oz serving of pasta is for *dry* pasta, not cooked. But how do I know what this becomes after it is cooked? I've read that it's typically 1 cup of cooked pasta...is this using a dry cup or a liquid cup, or does it matter?

Our family traditionally makes the whole box and we have leftovers for awhile, so it's not like I'm only cooking for myself. I do not have a food scale.

Thanks!

Replies

• butterfly866
    butterfly866 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    1 cup of cooked pasta(140g) is 221 calories according to google, which is what I went off of the other day when I was in the same dilemma. I used a dry measuring cup. :)
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    When I don't have my scales to hand (or the battery has run out... oh that's the bane of my life) I just portion everything out a certain volume measurement at a time.

So if the box or packet says x amount of grams makes y amount of portions, I'll figure out how many portions are in the amount I cooked by the amount of grams stated on the pack and then fill the coordinating amount of plates/containers with a spoonful or cupful at a time.

When I can make less than a spoonful or a cupful with what's left, I switch to a smaller spoon or cup until there's no more left.

It should be about right.
  • Autum1031
    Autum1031 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    HappyStack, that's a great idea if I was only cooking for myself and portioning for myself, but as an example tonight we cooked a box of pasta for 3 adults and one child, (with leftovers). I'm the only person trying to lose weight, so no one else cares about portion control. :-) I'm trying to figure out how to create a single portion for myself with some accuracy. Thanks!
  • desireeb916
    desireeb916 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use a dry measuring cup to measure out one cup of cooked pasta. I have also found that one of our bowls is the perfect size to hold one cup and so I use it as my pasta bowl. :)
  • piersonj
    piersonj Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    With no scale the only way to know with any accuracy what on portion is will take some work on your part the first time (or two). You will need to divide the box of pasta by the number of servings. Either after it is cooked and before the rest of the family eats. Divide the cooked pasta into the correct number of servings, set aside a serving for yourself to have with the meal and package a leftover serving for later (if you plan on having some leftovers at a later time). Put the rest back together so the remainder of your family can take what they want. Or the next time the family buys pasta, get two boxes, one for the rest of the family and one for you to divide. Take "your" pasta and divide into the correct number of servings and bag for later use. When it is pasta night, you will need two pans of water, one for the family pasta and one for you to cook your individual serving in. Either way note the size of the portion after cooked. You will eventually be able to take one serving out of a larger batch, but be sure to regularly "check" your portion size by "recalibrating" the measure with a known correct serving size.

Just be aware without a food scale and weighing the pasta Before cooking there will always be a margin of error in the serving size.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    the best and easiest way for the future is to invest in a food scale!

They are very affordable and you won't regret it!
  • ksheedy2
    ksheedy2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use a dry measuring cup. Or, sometimes I boil two pots of water and put my serving in the one pot and everyone else's in the other pot. Problem solved.
  • iamspdd
    iamspdd Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just bought a food scale from Amazon and I love it. It's so easy and they really aren't that expensive! I find measuring pasta is so hard. Luckily I only have to cook for me and my daughter so I normally measure out 4 servings and when it's done cut it in half (for 2 servings) or cut it in half twice for 1 serving.
  • tracywintn
    Options
    I made spaghetti last night and like most people I make for my whole family-so measuring out 2oz dry and cooking it in it's own pot isn't convenient. But I did do it last night and cooked it separately so I would know how much it would weigh cooked. I cooked regular spaghetti exactly 2.0 oz dry made 149 grams cooked. Hope I can remember that for next time I cook it!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I use a dry measuring cup. Or, sometimes I boil two pots of water and put my serving in the one pot and everyone else's in the other pot. Problem solved.

Genius. Don't know why I've never just used two pots...

I used to cook all the noodles together, try to split it up, then add sauces separately because the BF gets more. Might as well just separate the noodles from the get go. I'd dirty an extra dish, but it'd be more accurate and I'd save a ton of time on the measuring front.
  • Autum1031
    Autum1031 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help & tips. I do not plan on buying a food scale, so I'll investigate some other ideas. For me, it isn't about being exact to the last gram, it's about not being wildly off. I agree with what everyone says, that most people eat a lot more than they think---so I don't want to be eating 2 servings when I think I'm eating 1. However, if I'm eating 1.1 servings or whatnot, that does not bother me. :-)

Thanks a bunch!
  • JustJennie13
    Options

Same here! Except I have a food scale so I cook my measured portion in a different pot :)