New tattoo & working out

Options
I'm getting new ink on Thursday night and I emailed my question to the artist but he hasn't responded (booo)
It's going to be on my left shoulder blade.
And I sweat a far amount if I'm doing extended amounts of cardio (even walking on a treadmill, yay 3% incline and 4.3mph plus a book lol)...

I'm going to safely assume that on Friday morning, I should not workout.
But if I wear a tank top and bring a towel, would a workout this weekend be possible?

I'm asking so soon because tonight I have physical therapy and I'll have to schedule for next week so I thinking maybe Tuesday night?

How long should I wait?
I don't want to do any damage...
And when I got my last tats, this wasn't an issue since I didn't work out lol

So please halp me MFP!

Replies

• meganuhl1
    meganuhl1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You should still be able to workout regardless the following day. Just make sure you wash and dry it as per the tattoo artist suggests.
  • akern15
    akern15 Posts: 13
    Options
    I worked out the day after getting a tattoo on my right shoulder blade. I just made sure nothing was rubbing on it ( no shirt just a sports bra that didn't touch it) and cleaned it with antibiotic soap after. Everything turned out fine.
  • pinky6767
    Options
    You can definitely work out like normal. I'm covered in tattoos and owned a shop. Once your done working out just clean it, rinse it and dry it then leave it alone like you normally would.
    Hope it helps :flowerforyou: xoxo
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You can definitely work out like normal. I'm covered in tattoos and owned a shop. Once your done working out just clean it, rinse it and dry it then leave it alone like you normally would.
    Hope it helps :flowerforyou: xoxo

Nah, I thought I'd go to work smelling to high heaven!

Haha, thank you all!
    I might shift my AM workout to the PM the day after anyway.
    And then carry on as normal
  • veggiemama81
    veggiemama81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've never had problems working out after getting tattooed, even after getting a sleeve. Just make sure you clean it well afterwards and apply whatever aftercare ointment you are using. Unless you're worried about your bra straps hitting it, you're good to go.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    I've never had problems working out after getting tattooed, even after getting a sleeve. Just make sure you clean it well afterwards and apply whatever aftercare ointment you are using. Unless you're worried about your bra straps hitting it, you're good to go.

Thats a big part of it - but I think my sports bras will be fine.
    It'll be a normal bra and tank top for work that'll be annoying
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I didn't- for 2-3 days.For two reasons- one it was on a Thurs. I stayed in NYC with the BF till Sunday- I had to be at the gym on Sunday for work- but I didn't work out. and if i had my druthers- I would have absolutely NOT been there.

I'm not comfortable being around that many people's germs- nope nope nope.

I wouldn't work out till it started to scab. Keeping it clean and not rubbed on is important.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    I didn't- for 2-3 days.For two reasons- one it was on a Thurs. I stayed in NYC with the BF till Sunday- I had to be at the gym on Sunday for work- but I didn't work out. and if i had my druthers- I would have absolutely NOT been there.

I'm not comfortable being around that many people's germs- nope nope nope.

I wouldn't work out till it started to scab. Keeping it clean and not rubbed on is important.

Yeah, that's what I thought it'd had to do... Wait til it scabs...

One of the gyms I go to isn't very busy during the time I go...
  • JoRocka
    Options
    the idea of being in a very germy area with an open weepy wound is kind of skeevy to me- but again- keeping it clean is important and doing what feels comfortable to you. To me it wasn't worth the potential trade off of massive infection and potentially ruining a beautiful piece of expensive and very meaningful art.

To me dropping several hundred bucks on something is worth me taking a day or two off. It's an investment- and I"m not going to die from missing a day or two. I just don't see the need.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I got half my back done on the weekend and went to the gym on Monday. It got a bit stingy because of sweat but it was completely covered by my shirt and had no problem.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I typically schedule my tattoos after I workout and before my rest day haha so I get two days of rest with it....and then I work out at home anyway....so the germs arent an issue with me.

wait- you did something novel and scheduled it so you had a few days off? what?

get out of here with that logic- this is the internet- we don't use that stuff around here!!! :p

I feel like this thread should have pictures!!!
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    I typically schedule my tattoos after I workout and before my rest day haha so I get two days of rest with it....and then I work out at home anyway....so the germs arent an issue with me.

get out of here with that logic- this is the internet- we don't use that stuff around here!!! :p

Mine is scheduled for after I workout and ive modified my schedule for this.
    Im obviously gonna ask the artist.
    And maybe ill just go for a run outside instead of the gym...

I agree on the pics!!!
    Ill post mine after I get it lol
  • MarlaVSings
    MarlaVSings Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think you should be fine, especially since you said you're taking the next morning off. I just wanted to add along with regular cleaning and maintenance to be mindful of bra straps or anything that could dig in and scratch, but that's about it.
  • Jess1caLe
    Jess1caLe Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I agree on the pics!!!

IMO it depends on the size and location, if your bra strap won't rub I say go for it, just make sure you're maintaining it during and afterwards (i.e. touching equipment with it). I was able to work out the first couple of days once the swelling subsided but when the tattoo started to heal, it was a problem for me. Then again everyone has different situations.
  • cassjacobsen
    cassjacobsen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    How funny! I got a tattoo last Tuesday on my left shoulder blade! I would say a good rule of thumb is to wait until it doesn't hurt anymore... so 2 to 3 days. I would avoid workouts that use your arms heavily for about a week. I was finally able to do Jillian Michael's 30 day shred this morning. :-)
  • LishieFruit89
    Options

I agree on the pics!!!

IMO it depends on the size and location, if your bra strap won't rub I say go for it, just make sure you're maintaining it during and afterwards (i.e. touching equipment with it). I was able to work out the first couple of days once the swelling subsided but when the tattoo started to heal, it was a problem for me. Then again everyone has different situations.

My sports bra strap shouldn't touch it but I'm not 100% sure on that and it depends which one I grab.

I assumed I'd be doing cardio only or dumbbells lifts - staying away from the barbell for a few days after until it starts scabbing...

Ack, I just want him to answer my email damn it!
    I like planning ahead and knowing so this is driving me bonkers lol
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    How funny! I got a tattoo last Tuesday on my left shoulder blade! I would say a good rule of thumb is to wait until it doesn't hurt anymore... so 2 to 3 days. I would avoid workouts that use your arms heavily for about a week. I was finally able to do Jillian Michael's 30 day shred this morning. :-)

I'm currently banned from all direct chest and shoulder workouts so I won't be laying down on it during my workouts since my leg and back days don't require a bench.

(Banned per my physical therapist lol)
  • JoRocka
    Options

LULZ... left shoulders seem to be popular

I have some racer back bras- deep racer backs- and they seemed to clear the area- no regular bra's at all though.
  • Jess1caLe
    Jess1caLe Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I agree on the pics!!!

My sports bra strap shouldn't touch it but I'm not 100% sure on that and it depends which one I grab.

I assumed I'd be doing cardio only or dumbbells lifts - staying away from the barbell for a few days after until it starts scabbing...

Ack, I just want him to answer my email damn it!
    I like planning ahead and knowing so this is driving me bonkers lol

Cardio and lifts should be fine then. I wouldn't worry to much about those doing you any harm. As for the scabbing part, maybe you should be weary about any movements that could cause the scabs (if there's scabs) to bleed. Then wait until it's just flaking to get back into your regular schedule.