Sugar help!!

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Source of sugar does not matter...

ndj1979, I hope that you don’t consider the toxically concentrated sugars in most processed foods to be equivalent to those found in raw fruit.

yes, actually I do…

sugar is sugar, when you look at at it at the molecular level it is all the same …and there is no way for your body to distinguish between sugar from fruit, and the sugar i put in my coffee in the am ..

I have done it this way for a long time and have had success...

why is added sugar toxic, but fruit sugar heavenly? That is like saying crack is toxic, but cocaine is OK….
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

ndj1979, I hope that you don’t consider the toxically concentrated sugars in most processed foods to be equivalent to those found in raw fruit.

It's processed the same in your body, so idgaf where my sugar comes from. Also BINGO for the word "toxic"
  • ndj1979
    Options

It's processed the same in your body, so idgaf where my sugar comes from. Also BINGO for the word "toxic"

BINGO!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    It's too early here for some much food demonization and talk of "sugar addiction" and "toxic sugar". But here's my .02 anyway. I do not track sugar, I track fiber instead. I have ice cream every single day, or cake, or cookies or donuts or Poptarts. Often I also have sugary, processed cereals. Captain Crunch (mentioned above) is one of my favorites, *gasp*. But I also hit my overall calorie goals as well as my macro/ micro and fiber goals. Having the food I enjoy, in moderation, has definitely made my weight loss easier and more enjoyable and I have lost nearly 130lbs in about a year and a half. Depriving yourself of foods you love for no good reason is not sustainable, IMHO. It certainly would not have worked for me. Been there, done that. Now I keep it simple and think of no foods as bad or unhealthy, some are just more calorie dense than others. It's been a revelation.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options

Sorry it's not processed the same in your body, fruit sugars are processed by the liver and absorbed at once, therefore increasing fat cell production (this really only applied if you are sedentary, if you are active it will use it as energy rather than building as fat), fruit does expand in the gut and make you feel fuller.
    I always speak to a dietician regarding what should be going in my diet and review it on a quarterly basis!!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options

Sorry it's not processed the same in your body, fruit sugars are processed by the liver and absorbed at once, therefore increasing fat cell production (this really only applied if you are sedentary, if you are active it will use it as energy rather than building as fat), fruit does expand in the gut and make you feel fuller.
    I always speak to a dietician regarding what should be going in my diet and review it on a quarterly basis!!

sy44zq.jpg

Cool story. Excess calories are the only thing converted into fat. I could sit on my butt and eat 1500 calories of fruit and lose weight, if I chose. Though, I would probably be more than sedentary from all my runs to the bathroom.
  • ndj1979
    Options

get a new dietician...

how does your body differentiate between fruit sugar and added sugar?

Like phoenix said..excess calories get stored as fat...so if you over eat then you get fat...you can eat in a deficit, eat sugar, and lose fat.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Come on..you are blaming fruits and veges for your sugar uptake when you are eating cereal?

Cereal has HEAPS of sugar.

You're thinking of "junk" cereals marketed to lazy parents.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • leonardn2011
    Options
    So your right! sugar is sugar, sort of.... Let's take High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) as an example.

Fructose is found in fruits and other food, of course. When fructose is found in fruit, for example; its in relatively low quantities and accompanied by many other things such as phytochemicals and fiber which are very healthful.

Plain sugar table sugar (the stuff you put in your coffee) has a scientific name, Sucrose. Sucrose is a combination of two mono saccharides that are Glucose and Fructose. HFCS is not that different from table sugar, chemically speaking. However, HFCS is a highly concentrated amount of only Fructose (which is absorbed only by the liver, unlike Glucose which is metabolized differently. Just for those who say your body processes it the same :)

Refined fructose is bad for your health because it is concentrated and not surrounded by all those other good things nature provides. It's also much easier to consume ungodly quantities of it. Also, the many other detrimental health affects it causes that you will have to research because I am tired of outlining this.

Check this article out from the guardian that talks about Fructose as a start. I haven't been doing this along time like yourself but I dont take every piece of advice or opinion to heart and no one should. Just be aware what you are saying is incorrect and dangerous.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/21/fructose-poison-sugar-industry-pseudoscience
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Hi OP-

All that matters for weight loss is that you're eating less calories than you burn. If you want that orange and it fits in your calorie goal, then eat it. If you want a piece of candy, or a piece (or even bar) of chocolate and it fits in your calorie goal for the day, then eat it.

You will not derail your weight loss because of sugar. Don't listen to this nonsense.

I'd recommend you start looking at people that have open diarys and have successfully lost weight on their tickers if you'd like to see proof that this works. Example, look at CindyinPG , ndj's and ed's diary (they all posted in here) also check out my diary (though I didn't have a bunch of weight to lose, I've been maintaining my weight for well over a year)
  • vjohn04
    Options
    Come on..you are blaming fruits and veges for your sugar uptake when you are eating cereal?

I LOVE Cinnamon Toast Crunch. YUM!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't even track sugar. Almost all my sugar comes from fruit and no way I'm giving up something so healthy over something so arbitrary.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I am so determined that I don't want that extra orange in an afternoon to be detrimental to my losses.

This is how ludicrous the dieting industry has become these days - people are literally scared to eat...oranges.

OP,

I don't blame you for feeling this way. You have been convinced that excessive restriction, deprivation and suffering are necessary to reach your goal. They are not. The dieting industry represents a regression in the development of mankind. Reject it.

Unless you have a specific medical condition don't bother tracking sugar.

Watch you calorie intake. Try and eat a bit more more protein. Get a few servings of vegetables a day and one or two pieces of fruit if you like it. Eat what you like and keep portions in check. Be consistent not perfect.

Win.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I LOVE Cinnamon Toast Crunch. YUM!!
    That was my favorite until pregnancy and morning sickness ruined it for me. :-(
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    So your right! sugar is sugar, sort of.... Let's take High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) as an example.

Fructose is found in fruits and other food, of course. When fructose is found in fruit, for example; its in relatively low quantities and accompanied by many other things such as phytochemicals and fiber which are very healthful.

Plain sugar table sugar (the stuff you put in your coffee) has a scientific name, Sucrose. Sucrose is a combination of two mono saccharides that are Glucose and Fructose. HFCS is not that different from table sugar, chemically speaking. However, HFCS is a highly concentrated amount of only Fructose (which is absorbed only by the liver, unlike Glucose which is metabolized differently. Just for those who say your body processes it the same :)

Refined fructose is bad for your health because it is concentrated and not surrounded by all those other good things nature provides. It's also much easier to consume ungodly quantities of it. Also, the many other detrimental health affects it causes that you will have to research because I am tired of outlining this.

Check this article out from the guardian that talks about Fructose as a start. I haven't been doing this along time like yourself but I dont take every piece of advice or opinion to heart and no one should. Just be aware what you are saying is incorrect and dangerous.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/21/fructose-poison-sugar-industry-pseudoscience
    Now read this and you may change your mind...

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/?bcsi_scan_7b2bc02449b2137d=0
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options

Now read this and you may change your mind...

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/?bcsi_scan_7b2bc02449b2137d=0

I was just about to post this, thank you for saving the me the trouble. Please read that. Sugar in it's many forms is not evil or deadly ♡ It is, however, delicious.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options

get a new dietician...

Like phoenix said..excess calories get stored as fat...so if you over eat then you get fat...you can eat in a deficit, eat sugar, and lose fat.

Sorry don't think so, the dietician I use is also used by elite athletes, where are you getting your information from??
    Try googling how fructose if processed by the body, fructose is metabolised by the liver and absorbed straight away, so if you are in a sedantary lifestyle then is goes to fat much quicker than glucose which is not metabolised by the liver.

I would suggest you getting a new dietician if yours is telling you that all sugars are the same and processed in the same way by the body.
  • vjohn04
    Options

get a new dietician...

Sorry don't think so, the dietician I use is also used by elite athletes, where are you getting your information from??
    Try googling how fructose if processed by the body, fructose is metabolised by the liver and absorbed straight away, so if you are in a sedantary lifestyle then is goes to fat much quicker than glucose which is not metabolised by the liver.

I would suggest you getting a new dietician if yours is telling you that all sugars are the same and processed in the same way by the body.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • leonardn2011
    Options
    So I suppose the numerous, and more recent scientific studies about HFCS are only alarmist? I will continue to look into this and have an open mind.
  • mrscollis91
    mrscollis91 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments.
    Don't think we need a keyboard war over sugar though guys!