why does rice and bread make me feel bloated? :S

Options
hello,
i was just wondering if anyone else had this, or knew why rice or bread would make me feel bloated. i seem to be ok with potato's, but i wasn't sure id it was something to do with carbs :S
thanks x

Replies

• lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    it does just that... it swells and expands in your stomach
  • fairy06
    Options
    it does just that... it swells and expands in your stomach

will it go down soon :/ lol i feel like a whale lol x
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    haha, well you don't look like one

it will, thats why when i make a sandwich and things i use one piece of bread and fold it

when eating pasta or rice, be light on the pasta and rice and heavy on the veggies and lean meats
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Have you ever looked into celiac disease ?? I have this and if i eat any kind of bread, wheat, pasta so on I get pains in my stomach and bloated to the point where i look 3 months prego and feel sick! I would look it up! Hope you feel better soon Drink plenty of water and you might want to add some lemon juice to your water it helps flush out the bloating
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    It's probably the glutens in the rice and bread and not the carbs. Glutens are actually the proteins in grains that tend to produce gas as they are processed by the body. You may not have full blown celiac disease but just a sensitivity to them that causes your symptoms.
  • fairy06
    Options
    Have you ever looked into celiac disease ?? I have this and if i eat any kind of bread, wheat, pasta so on I get pains in my stomach and bloated to the point where i look 3 months prego and feel sick! I would look it up! Hope you feel better soon Drink plenty of water and you might want to add some lemon juice to your water it helps flush out the bloating

thanks for this xxx
  • fairy06
    Options
    It's probably the glutens in the rice and bread and not the carbs. Glutens are actually the proteins in grains that tend to produce gas as they are processed by the body. You may not have full blown celiac disease but just a sensitivity to them that causes your symptoms.

thanks - do you know if brown rice would be as bad - sorry im new to all this x
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Like me, you're probably allergic or intolerant of certain foods! :grumble: :noway:

Grains (and dairy) can be inflammatory to the body, causing gas, bloating, gut pain etc.

Depending on your specific body makeup, you could be seriously allergic to wheat & other grains (celiac disease) or varying degrees of intolerant to wheat/grains and/or the gluten in wheat/grains.

The easiest way to start is to avoid all grains (bread, pasta, baked goods, anything made with wheat, rice,oats, corn etc.) for a few weeks & see how you feel. Then start adding back foods one at a time and see what reactions you get. Then you'll know what not to eat!

Meanwhile, you can do some reading on various ways of eating that may make you feel better:
    ** gluten-free
    ** Body Type Diet ('O' types don't tolerate grains or dairy well)
    ** Paleo & Primal Blueprint Diets: no grains or dairy

Been there, done that!!!
    Good Luck!!! :love: :flowerforyou:
  • fairy06
    Options
    Like me, you're probably allergic or intolerant of certain foods! :grumble: :noway:

Grains (and dairy) can be inflammatory to the body, causing gas, bloating, gut pain etc.

Depending on your specific body makeup, you could be seriously allergic to wheat & other grains (celiac disease) or varying degrees of intolerant to wheat/grains and/or the gluten in wheat/grains.

The easiest way to start is to avoid all grains (bread, pasta, baked goods, anything made with wheat, rice,oats, corn etc.) for a few weeks & see how you feel. Then start adding back foods one at a time and see what reactions you get. Then you'll know what not to eat!

Meanwhile, you can do some reading on various ways of eating that may make you feel better:
    ** gluten-free
    ** Body Type Diet ('O' types don't tolerate grains or dairy well)
    ** Paleo & Primal Blueprint Diets: no grains or dairy

Been there, done that!!!
    Good Luck!!! :love: :flowerforyou:

thanks - i havent had bread the last 3 days or pasta, but i have had potato and been ok. but today i had rice and soon after felt like a beached whale hahha not good
    i shall have a look thanks x
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Except for the fact that rice is generally considered a gluten free product, I'd agree with this advice.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options
    Except for the fact that rice is generally considered a gluten free product, I'd agree with this advice.

Yes, it is considered gluten free, but it still has a form of protein in it. Generally speaking, the number one reason people have food allergies or sensitivities is the proteins in the foods. If someone is allergic or sensitive to the protein in wheat (gluten) then it stands to reason that they could be allergic or sensitive to the proteins in other grains too.

The other problem with diagnosing allergies or sensitivities to certain foods is that you may be fine with something by itself, but an additive in the product (like the stuff they spray on rice that enriches it's nutrient value) can cause a reaction. Or you could be fine with X food and Y food individually, but as soon as you combine them the combination could cause a different chemical response in the body. Thats why doctors get paid so much to do allergy tests. :wink:
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options

It depends on what you may be allergic to. If it is the rice itself or the protein in it, then brown rice would be just as bad. If it is an additive in white rice to "enrich" it's nutrient content, then it could be that brown rice is better because it doesn't have that additive.

The biggest thing with food is that it is all trial and error for each individual because we all have our own individual sensitivities. Makes nutritional research difficult. :smile:
  • fairy06
    Options

thanks i appreciate the help :) x
    It depends on what you may be allergic to. If it is the rice itself or the protein in it, then brown rice would be just as bad. If it is an additive in white rice to "enrich" it's nutrient content, then it could be that brown rice is better because it doesn't have that additive.

The biggest thing with food is that it is all trial and error for each individual because we all have our own individual sensitivities. Makes nutritional research difficult. :smile:
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    YES! Good comments by Tonya! :flowerforyou:

I have been eating gluten-free for months and still have gut issues. So, I believe there is a problem for me with other grains & artificial flavors plus other product ingredients like xantham gum.

Even brown rice is causing bloating! :grumble: :noway:

Crap..... now what to eat? Back to Nature Baby! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
    Avoiding all processed foods as the labels don't even reflect all the facts.

Check out this process for relief from food & other allergies, it works! :happy:

http://www.naet.com/