EXERCISE WITH MY 5YEAR OLD

Options
I AM IN NEED OF SOME SUGGESTIONS ON A GOOD EXERCISE PROGRAM I CAN DO IN MY HOME WITH MY 5 YEAR OLD-I NEED SOMETHING FOR 30 MINUTES AND SOMETHING SHE WILL ENJOY AND I CAN KEEP UP WITH - ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Replies

• MichelleRenee_76
    MichelleRenee_76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 and 9 yr old girl and I got us all those stability balls and got the girls little 2lb hand weights so they can 'play along' when I use my weights. We have a kickboxing DVD they like to try. I am looking into getting some Zumba or other dance-type workouts on DVD as well. They do like to use my Stepper machine and the treadmill, but those have to be used with supervision of course.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Wii Just Dance game. I lost 30 lbs in the beginning of my weight loss doing Just Dance for 30-45 minutes a day, it's so fun the minutes fly by. My 4 and 3 yr old both like to join in.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I AM IN NEED OF SOME SUGGESTIONS ON A GOOD EXERCISE PROGRAM I CAN DO IN MY HOME WITH MY 5 YEAR OLD-I NEED SOMETHING FOR 30 MINUTES AND SOMETHING SHE WILL ENJOY AND I CAN KEEP UP WITH - ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Do you have a Wii or XBox? They have Just Dance for Kids & Just Dance-Disney

Tae Bo Kicks is a Billy Blanks DVD for kids....maybe you can find a video clip on YouTube

Leslie Sansone has DVDs that have a Kid's Walk, a Family Walk, and a Teen Walk ....maybe you can find a video clip on YouTube
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Second that. My 5-year old boy LOVES Wii Just Dance.

In the summer he and I go out bike riding or play soccer, baseball or hoops. All of those are good exercise.

And snow shovelling in the winter. :laugh:
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    My 5 year old son loved doing Insanity with me, and he likes doing 30 Day Shred as well (however, with this one he wants his own set of hand weights so he can be doing the same thing I am lol)

My kids are definitely getting smarter about exercise and eating better, good for you for wanting to be a great example!

Edited 'cause I can't spell :grumble:
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I do a playing card workout with my 2 oldest girls (6 & 7). They seem to really enjoy it.

We make 5 piles of 6 cards dealt in each one. Each suite is assigned an exercise, value of the card equals the amount of reps.

Hearts = push ups
    spades = squats
    Diamond = dips
    Clubs = lunges
    Joker = 10 Burpees

Value from 2 through 10 are worth as shown. Face cards are worth 10, and Aces are 15.

We usually do each pile as a circuit, and take 60 secs rest in between piles.

As you can see, you can play around with this format to pretty much anything you can come up with for exercises, reps, etc...

We also play Just Dance as well, always fun little workout haha
  • TheLongAtlantic
    TheLongAtlantic Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree, my three-year-old daughter absolutely LOVES Just Dance for the Xbox Kinect!! Any of them, and if you're daughter is five she would have even more fun than mine because she's got that cognitive ability now where she can see what people are doing and copy them. But it's got the lights and the music and fun costumes. Give it a shot!
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My cable system offers free exercise stuff. I have found kids love to do yoga. And they are darm good at it with thier elastic little limbs. :) Also, just put on the radio to your (or the kid's) favorite music and have a dance party. Pick up your child, swing them around and boogie your little bottoms off. Another game that my Nieces and nephew enjoy is "chase you". Chase you consits of the child running wildly throught he yard giggling while the adult chases saying "I'm chasing you". Exercise need not be structured. it just requires moving. good luck and think outside the box.
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My kids like to do what ever I'm doing. I have a 17, 14, 10 yr. old and a 6 yr. old. At the moment we're doing Pilates, treadmill, snow shoeing outside, 30DS and what ever other videos we happen to have around. In the summer we're always outside...riding bikes, hiking, walking the dunes/beach...There are times when I'll only take my 10 yr old so that I can get a super good work out in, or go running with my 14 yr. old, or take my 17 yr. old and a few of his friends to go frog around and we end up at the playground and they challenge me to "Hey mom...bet ya can't do this!" type of activities. You just have to get creative and have fun!
  • tbbwcs
    tbbwcs Posts: 2
    Options
    OKAY THIS WAS MY FIRST POST AND WOW YOU GUYS SO LOVE THE SUGGESTIONS - MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN WANTING A WII SO I GUESS I WILL BE MAKING THAT PURCHASE SINCE IT SEEMS TO BE A GOOD STARTING POINT - ONCE I GET SOME OF THESE POUNDS OFF AND MY KNEES FEEL BETTER I AM GOING TO TRY THE CARD SUGGESTION - LOVE THAT CREATIVITY - THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE WELCOMED TOO - I AM SO EXCITED WITH ALL THE HELP - THANKS SO MUCH!!!