I have no idea what I'm doing wrong

Options
My weight is fluctuating like CRAZY. Yesterday I ate 1550 calories but other than that I've been staying around or below 1200. I just gained 6 pounds. It can't be from one day. I'm going through some changes in my birth control and I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I have a doctor's appointment on Feb 17th but until then I don't know what to do.

How can I keep a steady loss without so much fluctuation?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Your body naturally fluxuates- salt- water- calories- work outs sweat stress.

it can be up to 10 lbs difference depending on your work outs.

I was weighing myself regularly- 2x a day for science- and found (not suprisingly) I was lighter first thing- and heavier in the afternoon- and it was consistently 2-3 lbs more- and then day to day the numbers would be up or down - so it could be
    AM / PM
    Day 1 160/164
    Day 2 159/162
    Day 3 163/165
    Day 4 162/165

pretty normal to see fluxes. especially if you are playing with your hormones with pills.

But the short answer is- you can't. And don't worry about the scale so much- keep eating at a deficit- and the trend line will go down. I
    Weight loss isn't linear- and it's only steady over the course of time- not from day to day.

So 1.) don't worry about it too much
    2.) keep track of your food diligently and eat a a deficit.
    3.) don't panic- weight flux is normal!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The only thing I see going wrong from a quick look at your diary is that most days you're not eating nearly enough. It doesn't matter one bit that you went over 350 calories yesterday when you're only eating around 800 the two days before that.

I'd wager that a big part of your fluctuation is sodium intake from restaurant food and the hormonal changes you're going through.

Eat UP to your goal (that's why it's called a goal - you're supposed to try to reach it), get a little activity in, drink a bunch of water to help flush out the excess salt and mostly...be patient for now until your hormones settle down.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    My weight is fluctuating like CRAZY. Yesterday I ate 1550 calories but other than that I've been staying around or below 1200. I just gained 6 pounds. It can't be from one day. I'm going through some changes in my birth control and I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I have a doctor's appointment on Feb 17th but until then I don't know what to do.

How can I keep a steady loss without so much fluctuation?

Birth control and hormone fluctuations are notorious for causing water retention and weight fluctuations. You can't gain or lose 6 pounds of fat in a day or even a week. I'm in maintenance and my weight will fluctuate sometimes 3-5 pounds just from water weight. You just have to be patient and wait for it to come back down.
  • Elafacwen
    Elafacwen Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to bet that it is most likely your birth control.
    Stay off the scale for 2 weeks and continue sticking around 1,200-1500 calories. Additionally, I have found that when my weight is fluctuating, it is an indicator that I am not drinking enough water.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    3500 calories = 1 pound. So you would've had to eat 21k OVER your alotted calories to gain 6 pounds. I doubt you did that. Women (moreso that men) fluctuate greatly depending on time of month (AF, ovulation, etc) . Also foods can trigger fluctuations... more sodium and carbs will make you retain water.

Watch the sodium intake and drink lots of water. You should see your weight go down. Also. 1200 is too low for *most* women. You need to eat your BMR. Your body will begin to 'hoard' calories/nutrients because you're not eating enough to sustain your daily activities and keep your organs functioning properly.

My sugguestion is to eat around 1400 calories a day consistently, increase your water, decrease your sodium and I bet you'll see a change in the right direction!!

*edited to say - your BC might very well have something to do with it as well. Might want to try a lower dose. But be careful of switching too much or too soon. You need to give your body time to adjust.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    3500 calories = 1 pound. So you would've had to eat 21k OVER your alotted calories to gain 6 pounds. I doubt you did that. Women (moreso that men) fluctuate greatly depending on time of month (AF, ovulation, etc) . Also foods can trigger fluctuations... more sodium and carbs will make you retain water.

Watch the sodium intake and drink lots of water. You should see your weight go down. Also. 1200 is too low for *most* women. You need to eat your BMR. Your body will begin to 'hoard' calories/nutrients because you're not eating enough to sustain your daily activities and keep your organs functioning properly.

My sugguestion is to eat around 1400 calories a day consistently, increase your water, decrease your sodium and I bet you'll see a change in the right direction!!

*edited to say - your BC might very well have something to do with it as well. Might want to try a lower dose. But be careful of switching too much or too soon. You need to give your body time to adjust.

Except your body will not hoard calories or nutrients - it can't do that in a deficit. What it will do is break down muscle in order to supply itself with the needed energy to sustain life.
  • PaulaCLamb
    Options
    It is imperative for your bodies hormones especially leptin levels (regulates fat storage, metabolism and appetite) that you eat no less than 1200 calories per day..Very very important if you wish to lose weight and keep it off long term. Less than 1200 calories the slower your metabolism..and this you do not want..

#2 if you are not eating all your calories or below 1200 and then you take in an additional 300 plus YES the scale will change…

Key is: consistency, eat your calories, try to eat at the same time every day, drink water…and move.

Don't loose faith put the wheels back on the wagon and keep going today is a brand new day..All the best
  • SnoopysBitch
    Options
    Thank you for the advice and encouragement everybody. I've increased my calorie goal to 1300 and I'm going to try harder to stay there. I'm also going to do a better job of tracking my water intake. I'm trying to avoid processed foods, but I'll start cooking in bulk and saving meals.

Thank you again for all the help!!