Using a recipe for dinner how to track?

Options
Okay so if this is the recipe someone gave me to use, how do I log it in my food journal when I really don't know how much of each item Im actually using for me (other than chicken as I can weigh that)

MELT IN YOUR MOUTH CHICKEN
And it's Healthy...So much better than fried!!!

1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup Greek yogurt -plain
1 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Spread mixture over chicken breasts, bake at 375 degrees for 45 mins--Absolutely Delish!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Okay so if this is the recipe someone gave me to use, how do I log it in my food journal when I really don't know how much of each item Im actually using for me (other than chicken as I can weigh that)

1/2 cup parmesan cheese
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
    1/2 tsp pepper

Spread mixture over chicken breasts, bake at 375 degrees for 45 mins--Absolutely Delish!

Enter everything into the recipe builder and create the recipe.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

1/2 cup parmesan cheese
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
    1/2 tsp pepper

Enter everything into the recipe builder and create the recipe.

This and don't forget to enter how many portions this makes - it will calculate how many calories per serving for you - when you add food just click on the recipe tab and you can add it - use the my recipes section a little time now makes things so much easier in the future
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I really want to try this now btw it looks yummy!
  • danyleewell
    danyleewell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    But that is all that was given to me so how much do I know is a portion size? I have never added a recipe before.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    But that is all that was given to me so how much do I know is a portion size? I have never added a recipe before.

I would say one chicken breast is one serving. If this only covers 4 chicken breasts, mark the serving size as 4. When you add recipes, you just add one ingredient at a time. I would add the chicken as raw chicken. That way you won't be adding all the fun things from the database that other people have added to their chicken.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    How much chicken are you using? I think a normal serving size for chicken is 4 oz so if you use 1 pound then it will be 4 servings..
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it would be good on fish also.
  • DawnMarie1970
    DawnMarie1970 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

If you are using four chicken breasts, that is probably meant to be four servings in that recipe. Sometimes what I will do is build the recipe and estimate how many servings, then I will see how much I actually eat. For things like soup or pasta it is a little more difficult. If I think it is going to make 8 servings, but both my husband and I ate what I thought to be two servings each then I will go back and change how many servings were in the actual recipe (to four) because I must have underestimated how much it would make. If I eat less than one portion, maybe 3/4 of it, then that is how I will enter it in my diary when I log the food, as 0.75 of 1 serving.

Note - if you change the # of servings the recipe makes AFTER you have already logged that in your diary, then it will not adjust the calories in your diary. You have to delete it from your diary and re-enter it after you've changed the servings in the recipe to get an accurate estimate.
  • danyleewell
    danyleewell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I am going to count it as 4 serving as I will be making it with 4 pieces of chicken for my family. Thanks for the help.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    To be really accurate you want to enter the ingredients, then weigh the whole thing when it's done, and divide the weight by your number of servings to know exactly how much a serving is.

I don't always bother though, when it's chicken breasts, because it's just annoying. But it's a once in a while thing so it's not a huge deal, if it was every day, yeah I'd have to be more accurate.