100 lbs down 80 to go

Options
I'm down 100lbs from my peak weight in summer of 2010. I was 365 with congestive heart failure, high blood pressure, x, y , and z to boot. I was a motorcycle event with my dad and brother and I couldn't walk 20 feet without stopping. I thought I was going to die. I seriously thought that. I had to leave because of it.

My 100lbs of weight loss isn't new. I had been down 120lbs from my peak weight just a year and a half ago. I have struggled to stay on track. I have tried different people's ideas about cheat meals and IIFMM, low carb, low fat, low calorie diets. They all work until you decide I want to eat pizza today, then some tiramisu, have a burger and fries. I may eat a bag of candy while watching a movie or a bucket of popcorn drowned in movie theater butter. Soda, namely Mountain Dew, was the major contributor to my problems. I could easily drink a case (24) of 12oz cans of the liquid poison.

I think I'm still trying to figure out what works for me. Everyday I think, "Is this the day I throw it all away?" I just want the switch in my mind to do what I want. I tell myself that I hate calorie dense low nutrition foods, but I just don't listen. I guess I'm stubborn that way. When I go to the store and start my perimeter check of healthy foods, the produce section is always in civil war with the pastry-filled bakery, while being flanked by the sodium soldiers of the deli. I have to get my mind right and keep my dead down just to get to the Jazz apples. It's a dance I do. I like to start off my shopping with a challenge I guess.

But I digress... I think I've found a winning combination with a good gym cycle and the acceptance that bread is not devil food. Mmm devil's food cake. That's a thing, right?

If you're curios about what helps a 33 year old man lose 100lbs from a weight of 365lbs, it's quite simple. 2000-2200 calories a day and 30+ minutes of exercise 5 days a week. I'm in stage 3 congestive heart failure, I've had 2 heart surgeries, I have to take medicine to regulate fluid on my body, my blood pressure, and my heart rate and I could do it. It's not about finding time to dedicate to your health, it's about having to will to act on that inclination.

I can tell you from my experience, the biggest threat to your success is yourself. I've sabotaged my progress in the past. I hope to never do it again but that's the thing about free will. You get what you pay for.

Making an effort,
DCD

Replies

• Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing your story. CHF runs on both sides of my family. It's a terrible thing to watch a loved one suffer through. Congrats on your loss and continued progress!
  • Livin4me1969
    Livin4me1969 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Good job on finally realizing that you have to go with what works for you not what works for everyone else. You have been able to lose an amazing amound of weight so far so you know that you can do this. I have discovered that portion control is my main issue and like you I have the daily struggle of making better decisions with my food choices but every time I make that correct choice I feel better about getting where I want to be. You can do this and good luck on your continued journey!! :drinker:
  • MadTownD
    MadTownD Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing what you've said here... I'm where you were. You're an inspiration, and I wish for your continued success and pray for your health to improve as you get where you're going! :-)
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, I wish you every success on completing your goals and improving your health further :-)
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Awesome job!! Thanks for sharing your story. I too feel like it is an everyday battle!!
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. I hope you find what will help to keep you on track permanently, it's better than the alternative. I have come to the conclusion as well that a combination of eating well and a regular workout routine is that gets the job done.

All the best with your goals!
  • chelljo12
    chelljo12 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. I take medication for every damn thing concerning my heart and it is so depressing. I am in it to win it. Good luck on your journey.
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    good for you on sharing your story. I was 323 pounds a year ago and decided on gastric bypass surgery. I have since lost 113 pounds, I exercise daily and eat healthy and have total portion control. It helps at the store if you go and you can't think about eating even because for the first few months, I didn't WANT to eat because I always felt full so I learned how to properly feed my body. But I recognize it's not for everyone...Best wishes on your journey and congrats on how far you have gone so far!
  • thesoup11
    thesoup11 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Your a true inspiration thank you for sharing what a great accomplishment
  • DonaldChadDavis
    DonaldChadDavis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I think having people take notice of your efforts helps, too. The best to you all, I see that many of you have successes as well.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Keep up the hard work, and stay strong. *bear hugz* We're all routing for ya. :)
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Wonderful story - thanks for sharing!

It seems so many take diagnoses related to their heart, lungs, etc. and use them as a seal or something that labels them as sickly or fragile.

I see too many people state they "can't" do x, y, z because of their heart failure, for example. Granted, I don't know what it is like to try to face health obstacles of that magnitude, but it's not "I can't", it's "I must!"

Glad you've committed to your health. All the best to you, and congratulations on your incredible success so far!
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • EverBella2014
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 100lbs! :)

As you described the war in the grocery store,
    I totally imagined the same layout at my local grocery store.

You're right.
    It's so important to not self-sabotage.

Thanks for sharing your success story!
  • ThisTimeItsForReal2014
    Options
    Thank you for sharing, very inspiring especially to someone who is battling chronic illness and taking this journey on. I too hope to be a success story while battling illness. Congrats to you!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    WoW! You're too young to have heart probs. Keep it up and get fit for life. You rock!! :drinker:
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for sharing your story! Youve really done so well!

( i had to take a sneak at your dairy, so glad your into peanut butter and toast as much as me! and you eat it just about every
    day like me too.... ) so happy about that!! =)... i mean, peanut butter toast is the bomb right??
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!