Need help with heart rate monitor

Options
Hey guys looking to buy a heart rate monitor. I never had one before so I don't know which brand is the best. If anybody can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• trippbear
    trippbear Posts: 143
    Options
    I have been looking at the Polar FT4 or Polar FT7.
  • RillaMonsoon
    RillaMonsoon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a Polar. Tiger Direct has them on a ridiculous sale.
  • trippbear
    Options
    Did you get the FT7?
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor, it is good for what I use it for. Price: $58.49 on Amazon but I had to get the ugly color but I don't care about that. Good Luck!
  • Libi_KK
    Libi_KK Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have the Runtastic but it doesn't sync with any other programs. I'm looking at the Polar as it syncs with everything and they are about the same money.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm female I have the FT4 and love it
  • MrsBenTarr
    MrsBenTarr Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I really like it. Just make sure you rinse off the chest strap every day and wash it 1x/week.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Scuds_NC
    Scuds_NC Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been using an FT4, and it's great, however I plan on upgrading to a H7 and pairing it with a Polar Loop here in the near future. If you don't want to use it with a loop, the H7 will sync to a bluetooth phone, and plays well with a BUNCH of apps.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F4 and LOVE it! I never workout without it.

As stated above, make sure you rinse it after every workout and wash it once a week. That thing gets smelling funky!
  • Link2Life
    Link2Life Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Right now you can get a bluetooth HRM strap along with a year of premium MapMyFitness for $49.99. that HRM strap would work on your smartphone and the app will give you heart rate analysis.

You can pick up a battery power pack for your phone, too, to extend the battery life.

Just another option.

FWIW I have a garmin 310xt. It's bulky but I need battery life to last 10+ hours while riding horse.
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Polar FT4... around $60 on Amazon. Love it and very easy to use!
  • trippbear
    Options
    Does the Polar FT4 also count your calories burned throughout the day?
  • Scuds_NC
    Scuds_NC Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I suppose it would if you wore it all day, but I couldn't tell you how long the battery would last, or how comfortable wearing that strap all day would be. That's why I wanted the Polar Loop, for the daily activity to get a good idea of calories burnt, and adding the H7, will allow a very accurate count for exercising, and you only have to use the chest strap during exercise.

It's obviously a much more expensive option, but I think it will work well for ME. Plus, I'm kind of a techie, so I'm all about some cool new toys.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Just sold my Polar FT4 but I loved it. I upgraded to a Gramin with GPS but loved the Polar for the HRM. I wouldn't wear it for normal daily activites such as work. I don't ever count my daily work as calories burned beause that's my normal day. Anything above and behond your normal daily activities is consitered exercise.
  • trippbear
    Options
    Ok thanks guys! It looks like I will be getting me the Polar FT4!
  • Braydensmommy415
    Braydensmommy415 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the Polar FT60 on Amazon. Used this weekend for first time. I think I'm going to like it, feel like it's more accurate on the calorie burn and it's nice to know if I'm working to hard or not enough. Good Luck!
  • RillaMonsoon
    RillaMonsoon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Did you get the FT7?

I got the FT4. I'm most interested in the cals burned, and it offers that function. They have the FT7 too though

Here's a link. FT4 for $59.99
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8744841&CatId=9378

FT7 for $72.99
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8744842&CatId=9378

Enjoy.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am about to pull the trigger on a Polar FT7. I purchased a Fitbit Flex, but I really don't think it will count calories and activity the way I want it to... so as soon as I receive it, it's up for sale! I need a true HRM, and I like the FT7's simplicity, yet functionality.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Polar are good, but if you want them to be more accurate for you, find ones that you can manually adjust the Max HR, and even better the V02 Max used.

I don't think the F4 allows you to adjust either, F7 may allow the Max HR, and I believe the FT40 and 60 allow you to change both, but I suggest double checking that. Garmin are really good too, avoid Timex, they tend to over estimate caloric burns.