Egg White Recipes Needed. Help!

Options
strflt
strflt Posts: 29 Member
So the grocery store was out of half-dozen egg cartons last week, and not needing a whole dozen... (not sure I could go through a whole dozen!), I experimented. I bought a carton of egg whites. 25 calories for 3 tbsp, lots of protein, great for my goals... What could be better??

Except... they're terrible. They taste like nothing! I can't make an omelette with them, they fall apart at the touch, and what's the point of a fried egg with no yolk? I tried making an egg sandwich with an english muffin and shredded cheese, but even a 1/4 c of cheese and some pepper wasn't enough to spice this up.

Any ideas??

I have a pantry of spices from following other recipes (I'm no good coming up with spice combos on my own) and would greatly appreciate any ideas. I don't want the carton to go to waste! I have tarragon, cumin, parsley (somewhere), CINNAMON, paprika... etc, etc.

Any ideas?? Milk, cheese, I'm willing to add them all within reason. Scrambled eggs? Egg sandwich ideas? With FLAVOR?

Replies

• bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I use Nature's Season, granulated garlic, Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, carmelized onions, crushed red pepper....Egg whites will never be as rich as a whole egg but you can definitely add some good seasoning.

It makes a good omelet. Add some cheese, bacon, turkey sausage, tomatoes, any thing you normally put in an omelete. It is better to use a double serving for an omelete just to make it bigger.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    google egg white recipes.
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Use egg beaters. It's the same thing, same nutritional value but IMO tastes closer to scrambled eggs. I make egg Canadian bacon cheese English muffin breakfast sandwiches for 190 calories and 1 g of fat using lighter versions of everything. So good and filling :) I think the yellow coloring tricks my brain into thinking it like a real egg. Lol Good luck!
  • laceylucas86
    Options
    I just load them up with veggies and ham or other leave breakfast meat, and cheese, make an omelette or bake them in extra large muffin cups with some quinioa in there too like quiches, great way to get lots of vitamins and protein with very little cals. love them!
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    This morning I put some smoked salmon in a nonstick pan and let it warm up, tossed some shredded parm on it and then poured 1/2 cup egg whites over it and topped it with cracked black pepper - delish!

I normally put whatever I want in the skillet, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, whatever in the skillet and then pour 1/2 cup of egg whites over it after it is warm. It turns out more omletty for me that way vs adding it first or stirring it all together and then putting in the skillet.

there are also some great recipes out there for spraying muffin tins with non-stick spray, adding your choice of ingredients, pouring the egg whites in and then baking. Haven't tried those but the sure sound good.

You can also use one whole egg (when you get some) and some egg whites to achieve maybe closer to the flavor you are after but still save on calories and cholesterol.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Use egg beaters. It's the same thing, same nutritional value but IMO tastes closer to scrambled eggs. I make egg Canadian bacon cheese English muffin breakfast sandwiches for 190 calories and 1 g of fat using lighter versions of everything. So good and filling :) I think the yellow coloring tricks my brain into thinking it like a real egg. Lol Good luck!

breakfast sandwiches are great - scramble some up and add them to a pita with fresh peppers, tomato and a little cheese and throw it in a pita

try a quiche?
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    breakfast burrito....scramble with some turkey sausage and a can of Rotel and serve it a tortilla
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My egg white scramble is divine! (Disclaimer, I don't like yolks)
    Egg white, Tabasco, fresh ground black pepper, and either crayfish tails or chorizo sausage (I dry fry the chorizo and drain off the fat)
    I also use egg white in protein pancakes and for my faux egg fried rice.
  • jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Egg white omelet with spinach, mozzarella and jalapeno. Use olive oil Pam and let the egg whites bubble on top before you try to flip it.... My fav!
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I would make a big meringue, or a few, and make an Eton mess or pavlova. Maybe even a meringue pie, or macaroons.

Egg whites = dessert.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options
    Make French toast (add a little of the highest-fat dairy you have, plus cinnamon and vanilla, and if you like nutmeg, add some of that too).
    Or use in baked goods -- I'd go with cookies or brownies, rather than a cake, for fear that whatever they've done in processing the egg whites might eliminate their leavening (rising) effect -- most cookies and brownies don't rise much (you might want to add just a little bit of extra oil as well - maybe a teaspoon or less per egg?).