2»

Replies

• guamlite
    guamlite Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I call this my frozen veggie Kale dish:

4 cloves of garlic, chopped
    1/4 of onions, sliced
    1/4 cup frozen each carrots slices, chopped, green beans chopped, mushrooms, peas (anything that you like in your freezer is fine. I try to change it up from time to time)
    2 asparagus spears chopped
    1 cup sliced cabbage

sautee all veggies in 2 Tablespoon olive oil & Sesame oil, when cabbage is done (I like my cabbage a little on the crunch side)

add 1 cup of Kale
    and continue sauteing until Kale is wilted.

I sprinkle Sesame seed before serving.

This is pretty much my veggie for my dinner meal.
    enjoy
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Sweet thread. I am hoping if I give some of these a try I will figure out a way to enjoy kale. So far I am unimpressed and do not enjoy the taste. Will take spinach over kale any day but some of these do sound pretty awesome!
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Try not to laugh. I made two of these yesterday, I had a craving, what can I say?

Bagel sandwich:
    whole wheat bagel, toasted
    1/2 Kale leaf (no stem)
    2 slices heirloom tomato
    1/4 cup saurkraut
    thin slice of onion
    brown mustard
    sriracha

It worked for me!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Portuguese Caldo Verde (Green Soup)

Ingredients

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (I use a lot less than this, but this is a standard amount of oil for this recipe)
    10 ounces Portuguese Couriço (choriso sausage) sliced into 1/4-inch coins
    1 large Spanish onion, diced
    Kosher salt
    4 garlic cloves, sliced
    6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
    8 cups cold water, or half chicken stock and half water (I prefer chicken stock as it gives it a much nicer flavour)
    1 pound kale, thick middle stem removed, and leaves cut into very, very fine julienne (think wisker-thin)
    Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions

1. Cook potatoes in water or chicken stock until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Do not drain the water, this is going to add to the flavour of the soup. Using a hand mixer puree and the potato and water/stock mixture completely.
    2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Pan fry the saugage and add the onions and garlic and saute them until translucent. Drain.
    3. Add the finely julienned kale and sausage/onion/garlic mixture to the potato/water/stock mix and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 5-10 minutes until the kale is tender.
    4. Enjoy!

Edit: I grew up with this soup as my mom always made it and still does actually. It's fabulous and tastes even better the next day! Us Portuguese folk grow kale in the summer just for this soup :wink:
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I like cooking mine with a ham bone. I don't know how many extra calories that would add, but it's darn good!
  • leaner426
    Options
    I've never tried Kale but I keep hearing about it. I'll have to try some of these.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Hubby isn't a fan of the kale chips... we usually steam the kale in a little bit of apple cider vinegar... yummy :)
  • kuwashima
    kuwashima Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just tried this recipe this past week and loved it! Even my husband, who doesn't eat any greens, thought it was very tasty. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bean-Soup-With-Kale/Detail.aspx?evt19=1
  • brandnewsnickerpuss
    brandnewsnickerpuss Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Bump for kale recipes. :)
  • kakemono
    kakemono Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Saute kale in small amount of water.
    Add generous amounts of sea salt
    Slather with kerrygold butter.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I LOVE kale!!! Here is a Real Simple article for 10 ways to use kale: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/popular-ingredients/kale-recipes-00100000087989/page8.html

Pgae 8 is Kale and lentils with tahini. It is soooo yummy!
  • claudie08
    claudie08 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I agree!! Kale chips are delicious and very easy to make!!
  • guamlite
    guamlite Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Now that sounds so yummy!!
    Did you figure out the Calories for this
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Love the suggestions. I've tried Kale chips again. This time with fresh full leaf kale instead of the shredded kale in a bag. Much better.
    Also tried the Kale and egg. It was good but seemed to be missing something. I made it with onion and garlic. I think the next batch will have to add more onion and garlic and possibly something more in seasoning.

Here is another recipe a friend shared. I haven't tried it yet, but looked interesting. Particularly as I love red cabbage too.

Ingredients:
    For the salad
    3 cups chopped kale
    3 cups chopped red cabbage
    1 apple, chopped and tossed in the juice of one lemon
    1/2 cup organic dried fruit and nut mix (mine had the above nuts and dried fruits)
    2 carrots, chopped
    2 tsp. sesame oil
    1 tsp sesame seeds
    For the dressing
    1 large clove garlic
    2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
    1 tsp. miso paste (optional)
    1 tbsp. soy sauce
    1 tsp. sesame oil
    1 small lump of fresh ginger, peeled (about half the size of your thumb)
    3/4 cup low-fat Vegenaise
    Dash of cayenne
    3 tbsp. water
    2 tbsp. Agave Nectar or Honey
    Directions:
    1. In a medium-pot, saute kale and sesame seeds in 2 tsp. sesame oil on medium heat until slightly wilted, about two minutes. Set pot aside to cool.
    2. While the kale cools, throw all of the dressing ingredients into a food processor and pulse until smooth, around one minute. If you like your salad dressings thicker, just omit the water in the recipe.
    3. In a large serving bowl, combine all of the other salad ingredients, plus the cooled kale, and stir until well-mixed. Chill for one to two hours before serving.