How much protein per day

Options
A quick question about protein. Most things i'm reading online and in some forums on MFP state that you should have 1 g of protein per body weight. Ex 245 pounds = 245 g of protein. If you are trying to lose weight do you reduce the grams of protein to the desired weight. For ex if your currently 245 pounds and are trying to consumce 245 g of protein and want to drop weight to reack a goal of 220 would you eat 220 grams of protein until you reach your goal weight?

Thanks for the clarification. also is it the same for carbs if your doing 40/40/30 ration (40 protein / 40 carbs and 20 fat)

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Generally you need around 0.65g/lb of LEAN body mass per day if you're not lifting, 0.85g/lb of LEAN body mass per day if you are, and it won't hurt to go over these numbers by a bit. 1g/lb of LEAN body mass is the general rule of thumb. You don't need calculate protein intake based on your total body weight, because you don't need extra amino acids to repair your fat cells - so, if you're 500 lbs, you don't suddenly need 500g/protein daily.

So, get an estimate of your body fat percentage and calculate your lean body mass: weight * (1-BF%)

Then multiply that by anywhere from 0.65 to 1.0 to get an estimate of your protein macro.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I use the following website to get my minimum protein amounts:

http://www.proteinsmart.kashi.com/#/calculator

I usually go above this amount and I am currently doing the following for my macros:

30% carb - 166 g
    30% protein - 166 g
    40% fat - 98 g

I average anywhere from 150 - 200 g of protein a day, mostly from keeping my carbs lower.

However, I believe it's a gram of protein for every pound of lean tissue. For me, that would be about 135 g/day.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Generally you need around 0.65g/lb of LEAN body mass per day if you're not lifting, 0.85g/lb of LEAN body mass per day if you are, and it won't hurt to go over these numbers by a bit. 1g/lb of LEAN body mass is the general rule of thumb. You don't need calculate protein intake based on your total body weight, because you don't need extra amino acids to repair your fat cells - so, if you're 500 lbs, you don't suddenly need 500g/protein daily.

So, get an estimate of your body fat percentage and calculate your lean body mass: weight * (1-BF%)

Then multiply that by anywhere from 0.65 to 1.0 to get an estimate of your protein macro.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight do you reduce the grams of protein to the desired weight. For ex if your currently 245 pounds and are trying to consumce 245 g of protein and want to drop weight to reack a goal of 220 would you eat 220 grams of protein until you reach your goal weight?

No, you need protein while you're losing weight, to help with maintaining muscle while you lose fat. Figure it like parkscs said, on lean body weight, based on what you weigh now. After you've lost a significant amount of weight, or you're getting close to your goal weight, refigure it. The amount of protein you need may not change much, depending on how your body composition has changed.