17 Day Diet - 10 lbs lighter for Valentine's Day

Options
The 17 Day Diet claims that you can lose 10 to 15 pounds in just 17 days. I would like to start the 17 day diet cycle 1 on Monday, 1/27/14. That gives 17 days to get a little lighter (and hopefully for me tighter) by Valentine's Day. I'm feeling motivated and would love to have some other MFP members to do this with for a little support. If you are interested add me and we can attempt this together.

Replies

• sencha72
    Options
    Funny I just bought this book (kindle) 20 mins ago logged in here to see if anyone had success with it. Count me in! I'm hoping to loose 35lbs or so.

Carmen
  • RacnJason99
    Options
    The 17 Day Diet claims that you can lose 10 to 15 pounds in just 17 days. I would like to start the 17 day diet cycle 1 on Monday, 1/27/14. That gives 17 days to get a little lighter (and hopefully for me tighter) by Valentine's Day. I'm feeling motivated and would love to have some other MFP members to do this with for a little support. If you are interested add me and we can attempt this together.

Good Luck.. I'm looking to hear how it goes!
  • justineismoney
    justineismoney Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Glad to have some support. My friend has lost 40 lbs on the diet so it is totally doable.
  • Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Im halfway through cycle 1. getting bored of chicken now tho, hehe
  • LaraRN
    LaraRN Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I'm "re-starting" today. I tried it a couple of weeks ago, it was great but I fell off the wagon and hopping back on! I wish the didn't name the book "The 17 Day Diet" it's so much more a teaching tool for healthier eating habits. After the first week, I had ZERO cravings for sugar (including pasta, pizza and all the carbs I love). I'm hoping having this link will help me stick to it Good luck!
  • reeserox
    reeserox Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    is this diet good?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    good luck ,but me thinks that this will be mainly water weight..

why don't you just use MFP to calculate a daily calorie deficit, work out/move more, and have long term results..?
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

why don't you just use MFP to calculate a daily calorie deficit, work out/move more, and have long term results..?

cause this is the logical route. ...to be avoided at all costs apparently.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    found this on web md..

What You Can Eat and What You Can't

The plan relies on lean protein, antioxidant-rich produce, probiotics, and good fats. It bans sugar, processed foods, salty foods, and fried foods.

Early on, you minimize starchy vegetables and high-sugar fruits, and cheats like alcohol are off the table entirely.

As the diet progresses, though, it gradually eases up. By the end, you can have the occasional drink, 100-calorie snack, or cheat meal.

OP - are you really going to eat zero sugar...that means no carbs, no fruit, no nothing...?

This really does not sound like a long term plan for success...just saying...
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    found this on web md..

The plan relies on lean protein, antioxidant-rich produce, probiotics, and good fats. It bans sugar, processed foods, salty foods, and fried foods.

Early on, you minimize starchy vegetables and high-sugar fruits, and cheats like alcohol are off the table entirely.

As the diet progresses, though, it gradually eases up. By the end, you can have the occasional drink, 100-calorie snack, or cheat meal.

OP - are you really going to eat zero sugar...that means no carbs, no fruit, no nothing...?

QFT.

Pick something sustainable.
    And dont put deadlines on weightloss because you will be disappointed.
  • clszewczyk
    clszewczyk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Do I have to buy the book from Amazon or is there a way to read it online? Links would be appreciated! It does nopt come in Kindle edition.
    Again I'm totally in if I can get ahold of the recipes. Add me!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    It works :)

NJD1979 - you don't eat zero sugar.. you eat almost zero *added* sugar.

It's not a diet that restricts you forever.. it restricts you for 17 days with the theory that you learn how to eat properly before you reach it's end and are back to eating anything you want. I did great on it and only fell off when i let the Christmas goodies take control of me rather then me control the Christmas goodies.

I loosely follow it now. Mostly because I exercise way too much to do C1 or C2 and remain healthy. but I still make the recipes and eat the foods.I just eat more of them and I live in c3 and c4.

It's amazing how much better food tastes after you get all the additives out..

Day 3 is the hardest!! Power through it! don't give in to the sugar cravings! You can do it!!

Oh and don't let people who know nothing about it talk you out of it. If someone really knows what it is and has something against it that is great.. I was never hungry, I was always full and happy.. i did crave chocolate and ice cream for a week or two, but that's not abnormal for any diet where you cut out snacks.

Word to the wise.. eat A LOT of protein. the suggested meal plans in the book is not enough calories.. I DOUBLE my meat portions and I lost 20 pounds on it the first time. And it's still be off if not for the damn Christmas brownies. (which I totally over ate, had nothing to do with the diet.)

PS: The original book is better then the new one (breakthrough addition i think its' called??) or the second one.. and double check their recipe book, a lot of them have non-compliant ingredients for c1 and c2. Stick with the first book.
  • clszewczyk
    clszewczyk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Do I have to buy the book from Amazon or is there a way to read it online? Links would be appreciated! It does nopt come in Kindle edition.

I found the kindle edition ...
    http://www.amazon.com/17-Day-Diet-Breakthrough-ebook/dp/B00CVQZSOO/ref=sr_1_2_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390847682&sr=1-2&keywords=17+day+diet
  • ndj1979
    Options

It's not a diet that restricts you forever.. it restricts you for 17 days with the theory that you learn how to eat properly before you reach it's end and are back to eating anything you want. I did great on it and only fell off when i let the Christmas goodies take control of me rather then me control the Christmas goodies.

I loosely follow it now. Mostly because I exercise way too much to do C1 or C2 and remain healthy. but I still make the recipes and eat the foods.I just eat more of them and I live in c3 and c4.

Day 3 is the hardest!! Power through it! dont' give in to the sugar cravings! You can do it!!

pray tell, what is the difference between added sugar and fruit sugar when it comes to weight loss?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    save your money and just use MFP to create a deficit and log your food that way ..its free, and sustainable...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

cause this is the logical route. ...to be avoided at all costs apparently.

Yes!! - but you can lose 10 to 15 pounds in just 17 days!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Reality check........."just" 10 pounds would be a 35,000 calorie deficit (3,500 x 10). .......theoretically.............if your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) was 2,058 calories every day for the next 17 days.......and you ate "absolutely" nothing.....you would lose 10 pounds.

But because you will be eating food......you will need to add exercise to "cover" 100% of the food on the 17 Day Diet. However, losing weight by netting zero calories is not healthy.....you will likely loss as much muscle....as fat.

Really overweight people can lose large amounts of weight quicker because their TDEE is much greater than 2,058.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    found this on web md..

QFT.

Pick something sustainable.
    And dont put deadlines on weightloss because you will be disappointed.

This. There is no magic diet/pill/supplement/plan. Eat a little less and move a little more and make a sustainable and useful plan. If you really lose 10lbs in 17 days, it would most likely be: 5lbs water/bowel weight, 3-4lbs fat, 1-2lbs muscle. Then when you eat normally, you will gain most if not all of it back. More if you feel deprived and grumpy and overeat to compensate.

Here is how to make a proper plan:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexy+pants

Good luck no matter what you choose.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....either eliminating and/or burning 35,000 calories in 17 days. That breaks down to having a 2,058 calorie deficit per day.

Good luck to you.

I wouldn't last 2 days on that "diet"
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Day 3 is the hardest!! Power through it! dont' give in to the sugar cravings! You can do it!!

pray tell, what is the difference between added sugar and fruit sugar when it comes to weight loss?

No getting into this debate here..

I know what it does to me. Whether science backs it or not.

:~)
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I think the idea is that by cutting out added sugar, you eat less sugar overall (and therefore cut your carbs and possibly calories which makes loss easier).