Frickin Frustrated!! -95lbs, stuck and miserable

Options
Okay, so yes, I'm much happier than before. But I seem to gain and lose the same 5lbs over and over. I don't think I've lost weight in months!! I do well for 2 days, then binge for 2 days and I'm in the cycle that I just can't break. I'm going through a lot of personal crap atm (separtating after 10+ years of marriage whilst still living together), not ideal I know...but I just want this cycle to end!! I know for me because I'm toward the end of my weightloss journey and I feel much better about myself, my motivation has certainly subsided a bit, but I really want to get these last 20lbs off!
Can anyone relate? Have any suggestions?
HELP!!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open so it's hard to offer specific advice.

That being said the closer you get to goal the more logging accurately comes into play.

That means weighing every bite and being very good about calorie burns.

I am at my last 10lbs (I hope might go for another 10) and when I got here I switched to using the TDEE method with my own data which meant I had to know with as much certianty how much I was taking in. So I bought a kitchen scale and got that accuracy.

I started lifting weights as well (hard to esitmate calorie burned with that) so that was another reason.

So if you don't own a scale, buy one...if you own one use it all the time...and if you use a scale consider your burns and perhaps only eat back 50% of those as they could be over estimated.
  • LKL79
    LKL79 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It's not about what I'm eating. When I eat well it's very easy for me to lose. It's about the motivation to lose. I own a scale and when eating properly I weigh and measure everything. My issue is eating well consistantly. Not letting emotion get the best of me etc...I watch my macros carefully (again, when I'm actually logging), but it's the emotional ups and downs that are the struggle, as well as the loss of motivation because I don't look like complete crap anymore.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    My issue is eating well consistantly.

Nobody here can help with that. It's entirely in your hands. If you want it bad enough, it'll happen, the way the first 95 happened (which BTW is awesome, well done).

Good luck!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that I understand and you're not alone. I'm in the process of logging my binge from this weekend right now. I made myself write it all down, even if I couldn't seem to stop myself.

Assuming that you're eating at a reasonable calorie deficit and aren't missing anything in your diet, binging tends to be mental and emotional. Sometimes that means you have to deal with the underlying cause before you can stop. I binge when I'm anxious, I binge to fill a void, and I binge to create a barrier of fat between me and the world. If I can stop the anxiety before I get to the cabinets I have a much greater chance of staying in my calorie goal for the day.

Only you can figure out why you're overeating. Maybe you already know and just have to work on it. If you don't know why, yet, try thinking about what you're feeling while you're eating (and especially when you're overeating) and without judging at the time. Are you really hungry? Anxious? Tired? Bored? Lonely? If you can figure out what you're feeling then you're closer to stopping it at the source.

Other than that, keep the snacks out of your house. Or keep yourself out of your house. I get up and leave for a couple of hours when I'm feeling the overwhelming urge to snack. Find ways to relax and to reward or comfort that aren't food. If you're feeling the urge to binge try journaling or yoga or dancing and singing around the house or whatever it is that makes you feel better. Take up a hobby that keeps your hands busy (knitting keeps me from snacking).

Whatever it is, you lost the first 95 pounds, so I know you can do it!
  • forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Oh, I can relate to you! I started my weight loss journey last January and lost 45 pounds by the end of May. It has taken me since then to lose 19 pounds. I've gotten to within 1 pound of my goal weight a few weeks ago, then I gain and lose anywhere up to 5 pounds and now am with 2 pounds of my goal weight. The problem is me; not accurately logging especially on the weekends, sabotaging my progress. I sometimes just want to give up (I mean, it's only a couple of pounds), but I set a goal for myself and I want to reach it. I am in, shall I say, a very strained marriage (23 years). Aside from our kids, the only thing we seem to have in common anymore is we like to go out to eat. So I eat on the weekends and stall my progress from the week. Frustrating. My advice to you would be to take a diet break. Go to maintenance for a few weeks (I'm not suggesting to go wild with your eating, just give yourself more calories to play with), hopefully sort out your emotions and find another way (maybe with professional help) to deal with your emotions besides food. Ultimately, you are the only one who is going to find your motivation to finish your journey. Good luck.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    My issue is eating well consistantly.

Nobody here can help with that. It's entirely in your hands. If you want it bad enough, it'll happen, the way the first 95 happened (which BTW is awesome, well done).

Good luck!

This.

OP, are you seeing a counselor/therapist? If not, do you have access to one? Do you have anyone trustworthy that you can talk to about this that isn't really involved offline--maybe a friend on the MFP boards? We may not be able to physically keep you accountable or monitor every bite, but there are loads of nice people here. Also, maybe a divorce/separation/relationship support group in your area could be beneficial to you. I'm thinking that addressing the emotional issues on a regular basis will help you stay accountable with logging your food too. Maybe you could just start journaling to let it all out and that could prevent an emotional eating binge.

You have come so far. You should be so proud.

I'm available to talk if you need someone to listen. Feel free to friend/PM me anytime.

All the best to you.
  • brad2021hk
    Options
    Maybe a month or two with a different goal. Right now, you're frustrated that you aren't losing weight and that adds to all the other stuff that's going on. Switch to something maybe where you feel like you're winning, get a little satisfaction, and maybe you can also find a workout that take out your frustration from other parts of life.

You could start working on body composition for a little while. Transition to something a little above maintenance. Do some weight workouts. I personally find a good hard weight workout a great way to channel some negative emotions into a positive outcome. You will probably get major gains in strength quickly, which will be satisfying. Maintaining or even slight increase in weight won't be frustrating because that's the expected outcome.

Another option would be to train for something. If you haven't done a long bike ride or a 10k or half marathon or full marathon, switch to training for that. Go to maintenance calories. Train hard. Focus on the training goal and not on the weight goals. Again, if you haven't focused on training for something like this, you will probably have big gains quickly, which will be satisfying. If endurance sports aren't your thing, take a kick boxing class or something.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations, big time, on the 95-pound loss. That is NOT something to ignore.

At this point, however, why not give yourself a break, given your situation. Weight loss does NOT have to be this linear thing. Do your best with the situation at hand, maintain what you've lost, and get back into the loss program when you're up for it. Maybe for the time being, practice "maintenance." Just try to not gain, while maybe experimenting with a few changes to your diet to see if anything works. Use this time to find new foods, try something you think would be good for your lifestyle, expand your meal and snack "repertoire," and just give yourself some room to maintain.

Winter, for me, is my "practice maintenance" time. I did manage to get to my goal, but it did take awhile--6 months or so to lose the first 60 pounds, another full six months to lose only 12 more pounds. Then my first winter with that 72-pound loss I went into "maintenance" mode, even though I knew I wanted to lose a touch more. I focused on staying the same weight over winter, when my outdoor exercise is reduced and I don't have a gym in this small town, etc.

Then as spring hits and I pick up going outdoors mountain biking, etc. I re-assess. Last summer I aimed to lose those last three pounds to get me to a total 75-pound weight loss. I succeeded, I even lost I think 6 pounds at one point. However, now I am in winter maintenance to keep off that 75 pounds, and then come spring, I'll re-assess.

So, in other words, be OK with where you are---for awhile. Practice maintenance as you go through emotional turbulence like you're doing now. A couple benefits: first, the self-pressure is not so great that it adds even more stress to your daily life. Second, you'll be better off than many of us who don't have maintenance skills set up when we reach goal.

Best of luck to you!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It's not about what I'm eating. When I eat well it's very easy for me to lose. It's about the motivation to lose. I own a scale and when eating properly I weigh and measure everything. My issue is eating well consistantly. Not letting emotion get the best of me etc...I watch my macros carefully (again, when I'm actually logging), but it's the emotional ups and downs that are the struggle, as well as the loss of motivation because I don't look like complete crap anymore.

This is what I tell myself and others...it's not meant to be harsh so ..

"You either want it...or you don't"....

If you want it bad enough you will find the motivation in yourself...I personally look at my before and afters...that fixes me right up.
  • mikkolover
    mikkolover Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to offer my support, you have done an amazing job!! I know exactly how you feel though. Some days it's just eff it.. im eating.. ( or drinking) and that's it. I have lost the first 50 really easily, and now for 3 years, yes 3 years with counting and kids and going to grad school have struggled with the last 20. I'm doing this for 'real' now, really setting goals harder and forcing more work-outs.. it's so so hard. Best of luck to you and you have us here to talk to!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Oh, I can relate to you! I started my weight loss journey last January and lost 45 pounds by the end of May. It has taken me since then to lose 19 pounds. I've gotten to within 1 pound of my goal weight a few weeks ago, then I gain and lose anywhere up to 5 pounds and now am with 2 pounds of my goal weight. The problem is me; not accurately logging especially on the weekends, sabotaging my progress. I sometimes just want to give up (I mean, it's only a couple of pounds), but I set a goal for myself and I want to reach it. I am in, shall I say, a very strained marriage (23 years). Aside from our kids, the only thing we seem to have in common anymore is we like to go out to eat. So I eat on the weekends and stall my progress from the week. Frustrating. My advice to you would be to take a diet break. Go to maintenance for a few weeks (I'm not suggesting to go wild with your eating, just give yourself more calories to play with), hopefully sort out your emotions and find another way (maybe with professional help) to deal with your emotions besides food. Ultimately, you are the only one who is going to find your motivation to finish your journey. Good luck.

^^ I agree with this assessment and plan.

Awesome work so far with the 95lbs
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    Options
    First of all, CONGRATULATIONS. You're so inspiring!

I wondered about your fitness program/regimen. Have you been doing the same types of workouts for a long time? I know that we all need to change them up to keep the weight loss going. I've read lots of research suggesting that our bodies need a change in our routine every 30 days. That's the one thing I wondered about.

You're amazing and you've come so far already.

Wendy
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I 2nd the counseling if you can. You are going through a lot and should be kind to yourself.

Try out a maintenance for awhile until your life calms down a bit.