runners when you get sore

Options
So I went running outside for the first time in a while instead of on the treadmill and I woke up this morning with pretty sore legs (not too bad though I'm still walking fine). My question to you is when you get sore legs how long do you wait until your next run? Just when you're not sore? I'm thinking of just going for a walk today and doing some upper body strength training then a small run tomorrow.

Replies

• llabruce4
    llabruce4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I wait a day, but no more if it is normal soreness. I find running after a day break helps the soreness go away, when I wait longer the soreness comes back for a while. That is just me though
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You can take the day off or don't. It's all up to you.

I would suggest a walk but if you can manage to push through and get to a light jog, it would flush the lactic acid quicker.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    This depends on how sore I truly am. If I am extremely sore, and look like a new born baby giraffe when walking then I rest that day, but foam roll like crazy.

But if I am only slightly sore, and am able to walk fine the next day I usually go for a short slow run, stretch really well after and then foam roll to work out LA build up.

Also, you say you just went outside since running on a treadmil for a while...how long was a while? As in you were on a treadmill for months? If so then you might need to cut your runs down and work back up to your current distance. Terrains differences can cause major issues if you don't take care of yourself during the transitions.
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't usually take time off and continue with my next run/exercise session.

I find that even if I start sore, by the time I get warmed up I don't even notice it. Well, until I get back home and out of the shower and try to go down the stairs. ;). But even then, it doesn't hurt any more, just about the same.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    When I'm sore (usually from strength training, I rarely, if ever get sore from running), I usually go running the next day. Helps the muscles feel better! Just take it a little slower, and perhaps a little shorter too.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If it's my first time in a while, I won't run for 2-3 days.

If I'm running 2-3 times a week, I won't run the next day if my calves, ankles or feet are sore at all. This likely means I pushed myself really hard or my feet aren't used to the shoes I'm using.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Depends on where the soreness is. If it's muscular, I might try to push through and do a slower run or run/walk intervals. If the soreness is in the joints, I'll do something more low impact like walking, biking or elliptical.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    i would at least walk..

but i'm nutty and would probably run anyway. :~P Unless I was so sore that stairs hurt.. has happened, then i'll skip.. I don't run everyday though.. about 3-4 times per week.
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I like a slow jog of just a mile or two in order to loosen up the soreness, done the day after my run that caused the soreness. It really does seem to be the best remedy.
  • eknutila
    Options
    In addition to asking how sore you are (and in your case, sounds like it's not too bad), it also is worth asking what are you running for? If you are training for a race, then I'd be less likely to skip for what sounds like basic muscle soreness and stick with the plan. If it's just out of habit, then skipping may not be so bad.

Also in this case you mention that you typically run on a treadmill. Likely running outdoors caused you to use some muscles more than you typically do on a steady pace, flat surface treadmill. Running back on the treadmill would likely be fine, running outdoor again, also fine but may want to take it easier? This is why I prefer to run outdoors and even more preferably on trails to work out more of those muscles.
  • Dragonflag07
    Dragonflag07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    1 - Get a foam roller - they are wonderful
    2 - Do something to put the blood back into the muscles - even if its light exercise or stretching
    3 - Give it a try after a day or so - it's amazing how many times after a warm up you realize you are good to go
    4 - Sometimes the longer you leave it, the more the DOMs can 'mummify' you, especially if you avoid full range of motion because of soreness
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I run every day even if sore. One nice thing about running every day is it teaches you to not overdo it on any individual run and also teaches you to take it easy when you've managed to get sore.
  • SaraLady89
    SaraLady89 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • eknutila
    Options
    so.....what did you do?
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I generally do a slow low mileage run the day after my long run it seems to relieve the soreness much faster than sitting on it.
  • pktorm
    pktorm Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Soreness after working out is referred to "delayed onset muscle soreness" or DOMS. They are tiny microscopic tears that occur in the muscle as a result of high intensity exercise or an extended use of a muscle group that you don't normally use.

There are many blogs about it on the internet.

Just make sure that it isn't a sharp pain or something in the joint because then it's more serious. Try walking for 5 mins and if it persists, I would rest for a day and try again.

Dragonflag07 gave good advice. The roller works wonders and also stretch the muscles lightly (don't over stretch).

Trainers and sports guys might tell you that increasing blood circulation increases the speed of regeneration, but in my opinion there are still unknown factors that medical doctors don't know.

I have been running for about a 2 weeks now daily and everyday I am slightly sore, but it's not painful.

Again, if you walk for 5 mins or even 10 mins and feel better, you should be okay. But maybe reduce the intensity of your jogging session by slowing pace and duration.
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Soreness after working out is referred to "delayed onset muscle soreness" or DOMS. They are tiny microscopic tears that occur in the muscle as a result of high intensity exercise or an extended use of a muscle group that you don't normally use.

I don't think the soreness after running is DOMS. I'll be sore pretty much immediately, not a couple days later as in DOMS.