I can run but i can't breath

Options
I am fairly sure that i have mild exercise induced asthma - (self diagnosed) i can run 12 minute mile pace for about 20 minutes then my body feels like it can keep going but i just can not catch my breath enough to continue at that pace, - usually if i walk for a few minutes i can run again for short distances but have to walk more and more frequently. i have been running 5k races for the past 2 years - but 1.5 miles is the furthest i have made it running continuously - my goal this year is to run all 3.1mile continuously (no walking)

it is worse right now because i am running on a treadmill in our warm, dusty basement one room over from the wood stove. my breathing feels the best on cool days like in the spring i run outside at dawn or before dusk. then i can't breath in August humidity

anybody have any tricks to breath better. ???
i don't feel that i am to a point that i need to go in to the dr and get diagnosed and get an inhaler -- but...

Replies

• ThePersnicketyOtter
    ThePersnicketyOtter Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Try to pace your breathing by your steps. Three steps breathing in, three steps breathing out - or whatever pattern works for you. It keeps you from getting into the holding your breath and then gasping when you're not thinking about it, or breathing in short gaspy breaths, that'll get you out of breath faster. Also try taking Claritin once a day, it helps asthma as well as allergies that might be causing it. Also, caffeine helps to relax airways (from what I'm told) so you might try drinking coffee or tea before or halfway through your runs.
  • PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Definitely slow down, even if that means you're practically crawling! When I first started running I thought my lungs were on FIRE! Turns out what I THOUGHT was me running slow was STILL too fast! Total humbling moment for sure. Slow it down so you can carry on a short conversation with someone and stay consistent. I know a lot of people who started with exercised-induced asthma only to come out of it a few months of consistent exercise! :)
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I would go to an allergist and get tested and then treated for allergies. That can make a huge difference to how reactive your lungs are. I would also find a place other than a basement to do your workouts. Breathing in mold and dust commonly found in basements will bother your breathing.

A rescue inhaler is a good idea. My son used 2 puffs before each soccer game and had no problems breathing. For me, just taking a Claritin every day has made my mild reactive airways non-reactive.

You can't fulfill your exercise goals if you can't breathe. Don't let it go!
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    I am both super sensitive to both pet dander and mold. Coming from a home that had both, this is what worked for me:

#1 To open up airways immediately: Supplement with caffeine and Norepinephrine (stimulant in bronkaid).

#2 To create a foundation for healthy lungs: Supplement with magnesium citrate (more on that here: http://www.withoutagym.net/magnesium/)

#3 To not have to rely on these: Try to find the allergen(s) and remove it if possible (easier said than done).

Hope that helps.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If it is truly exercise induced asthma you need to go to the doc and get an inhaler. That is not something to mess with. Honestly it is not that big of deal. I have to use mine while running outdoors. Inside I am good to go. It is so much better than changing a life threatening attack.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    3-2 breathing. Three paces on the inhale, two paces on the exhale. It takes some practice before it becomes natural, but it works.

Rigger
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    do you have a humidifier? with a wood burner you should,,they really dry out the air..might help
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I am fairly sure that i have mild exercise induced asthma - (self diagnosed) i can run 12 minute mile pace for about 20 minutes then my body feels like it can keep going but i just can not catch my breath enough to continue at that pace, - usually if i walk for a few minutes i can run again for short distances but have to walk more and more frequently. i have been running 5k races for the past 2 years - but 1.5 miles is the furthest i have made it running continuously - my goal this year is to run all 3.1mile continuously (no walking)

it is worse right now because i am running on a treadmill in our warm, dusty basement one room over from the wood stove. my breathing feels the best on cool days like in the spring i run outside at dawn or before dusk. then i can't breath in August humidity

anybody have any tricks to breath better. ???
    i don't feel that i am to a point that i need to go in to the dr and get diagnosed and get an inhaler -- but...

You need to go to the doctor and be tested. If it is actually exercised induced asthma you will need an inhaler to use prior to exercise that will keep your airways from spasming and causing the air trapping that is making you feel short of breath. The problem with asthma is not that you can't get air in, but that the air can't get out and you can't put new air with useable oxygen back in. This is bad for your heart, especially when exercising.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    See a doctor.
    Run slower.
    If diagnosed, use inhaler as directed.
    Have fun always :smile:
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't need an allergist but a pulmonologist. I was diagnosed this past year with exercise induced asthma and suffered a pretty bad asthma attack at mile 11 of a half marathon in Sept. Talk about scary! Two wonderful runners who happen to be part of my Half Fanatics community were there to help me across the finish line. However, when we got over to the medic tent, not ONE medic had an inhaler and mine was with my sister in her backpack she was carrying 20 mins behind me. Luckily a good Samaritan saw me struggling and offered her albuterol inhaler. Saved me from going to the ER. You definitely want to get checked out, but the best person to diagnose you is a pulmonologist - they deal with breathing.
  • melnorwich
    melnorwich Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I thought that I had asthma once - it turned out my sports bra was too small.
  • Dreya711
    Dreya711 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    3-2 breathing. Three paces on the inhale, two paces on the exhale. It takes some practice before it becomes natural, but it works.

Rigger

I'm going to try this ^^^^^
  • ERMBSN
    ERMBSN Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like your going to fast too soon. Try slowing your pace for a few weeks. When I started running I felt the same way. I have had Astma for 45 years. You feel like your gonna die. Your lungs feel like their on fire. Try walking for a few minutes followed by short bursts of running then walking again.. This is what helped me. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have exerciseinduced asthma. I do crossfit/ run/ row do everything still without a puffer.

Mine's 'mild' like yours. ( yours is considered mile if you can run for 20 min)

Spend extra time warming up your body/ control your breathing

Slowly elevate your hr and breathing rather than to just walk & warmup for 5 min, then go straight into running for 20 min.

Warmup for 10 - 15 min or so , slowly upping your intensity and control your breathing. You should feel warm and slightly sweaty at the end of the warmup.

Then go do your run.

It helps.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem for years. I finally talked to my doctor about it and now I use an inhaler just for running outdoors or in my own dusty/moldy house. Helps a lot.
  • _Danno_
    _Danno_ Posts: 165
    Options
    I get this so I always have a blast on the inhaler before I start and then I keep a couple of menthol cough sweets in my pocket which I suck on if I start to get a bit short of breath, or Vicks vapour rub on your shirt is quite good.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    See a doctor if you really think it is asthma or allergies.

If you are just starting, it takes longer for to build endurance for your lungs and cardio system then it does for your legs. Focus on slower, deeper breaths.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've been in your shoes...you need to see a doctor.