OMG Applebees Ruben!!!

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you think Applebees is rough, try the Cheesecake Factory! Shrimp/pasta is 2,300 cals and completely jacked with fat!

You can't make that work IIFYM with a sledgehammer!

Best to all!

Cheesecake Factory has the best light menu I've seen anywhere though (like 20 choices under 580 calories I think?). It's all about making good choices... at least they have options.

Cheesecake Factory is so weird with this. They have a bunch of things under 600 calories..... and everything else on the menu is like 1500+. Nothing in between. Even weirder is that some of the <600 stuff has almost identical descriptions to the >1500 stuff.

The cool thing about Cheesecake Factory (They were a client of mine at one point) is their kitchen is so incredibly oragnized and standardized that you can count on the calorie counts being consistant between restaurants. They, quite literally, have kitchen staff 24x7 doing prep work. Spices are pre portioned, by scale, for every recipe. Meat, pasta, rice...it's all weighed, by scale for each recipe.

That is how they offer consistant experiences across all their restaurants.

Really! That's good to know. Do you know if any other particular places do this (or don't do this)?
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! I never would have guessed that either! When I eat out, I always try to preshop the menu but if the nutritional information isn't available I tend to stick to things I know like broiled fish or salads. This post was a GREAT reminder about why I can't make assumptions about restaurant foods.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    If you think Applebees is rough, try the Cheesecake Factory! Shrimp/pasta is 2,300 cals and completely jacked with fat!

Best to all!

went there 2 weeks ago.

had a macaroni n cheese burger.

it was a burger, with a large ball of fried mac n cheese on top.

glorious.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    980 calories of pure heaven!
  • janecarol61
    janecarol61 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Reubens are one of the most fattening sandwiches anywhere....pastrami, grilled, thousand island dressing, cheese.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Best to all!

Cheesecake Factory has the best light menu I've seen anywhere though (like 20 choices under 580 calories I think?). It's all about making good choices... at least they have options.

Cheesecake Factory is so weird with this. They have a bunch of things under 600 calories..... and everything else on the menu is like 1500+. Nothing in between. Even weirder is that some of the <600 stuff has almost identical descriptions to the >1500 stuff.

The cool thing about Cheesecake Factory (They were a client of mine at one point) is their kitchen is so incredibly oragnized and standardized that you can count on the calorie counts being consistant between restaurants. They, quite literally, have kitchen staff 24x7 doing prep work. Spices are pre portioned, by scale, for every recipe. Meat, pasta, rice...it's all weighed, by scale for each recipe.

Really! That's good to know. Do you know if any other particular places do this (or don't do this)?

BJ's Brewery, Mortons, Chili's, & P.F. Changs are very good about it as well. Not as good as Cheescake Factory (no one is, it's really quite an impressive operation), but pretty good at measuring/prepping ingredients. A lot of nicer restaurants (think nicer local steakhouses) have they prep-cooks portion out spices and what not so their chefs don't have to do anything other than grab and pour.
  • magerum
    Options

Best to all!

went there 2 weeks ago.

glorious.

This is going to sound weird...but try the Kobe Burger at Cheesecake factory. Trust me, you wont regret it. Cheapest thing on their menu and it's amazing. Bun, caramelized onions, and meat...thats all it is and all you need.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What annoys me with cheesecake factory is that they don't give their nutrition info. I always have to look it up on random sites online, and who knows how accurate it is.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Applebee's is one of the absolute worst restaurants for sodium overload. TGIFriday's and Outback Steakhouse are right up there as well.

Freaking ridiculous.

Pretty much every restaurant in the world is like this, especially chain restaurants. The sodium is there because it tastes good. For most people it's not a concern.

We eat at plenty of restaurants that don't come anywhere near the amount of sodium found in the above mentioned places. The food tastes just as good. :flowerforyou:
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    they closed a whole bunch of them in our area....not a fan of rubens to begin with.....\m/
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Applebee's is one of the absolute worst restaurants for sodium overload. TGIFriday's and Outback Steakhouse are right up there as well.

Freaking ridiculous.

Pretty much every restaurant in the world is like this, especially chain restaurants. The sodium is there because it tastes good. For most people it's not a concern.

We eat at plenty of restaurants that don't come anywhere near the amount of sodium found in the above mentioned places. The food tastes just as good. :flowerforyou:

Like where? It seems that few places besides large chains publish nutritional info at all, and the chains all use tons of sodium.

ETA: I looked through the last month or so of your diary, and Applebee's is the only restaurant I saw.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

Best to all!

went there 2 weeks ago.

glorious.

This is going to sound weird...but try the Kobe Burger at Cheesecake factory. Trust me, you wont regret it. Cheapest thing on their menu and it's amazing. Bun, caramelized onions, and meat...thats all it is and all you need.

we dont go very often at all and actually that was one of my finalists.

i saw that it was "american kobe" so i backed out and went silly with the mac n cheese thing.

i'll try that though if we ever go back. i loves me a good burger.
    thanks for the tip!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I dislike eating out or planning to when I am eating healthy. You have to put so much effort into it it's just not worth it. We are planning to go out Wed night---wing night at a local place. Wings delicious. But, I will get the boring turkey wrap. If I work my butt of that morning during my exercise routine I could have a few wings but, a few is never enough they are soooooo good. LOL
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I always look things up on the app before I order. There have been a few times that I thought the calories would have been fine, only to be surprised.

And I ate off the Cheesecake Factory light menu for the first time last week...I was very impressed. I had the tortilla salad and it was MASSIVE and very good. I wish there had been a bit more chicken, but it didn't taste like a lower calorie option.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes, Cheesecake Factory has the best light menu around. Ate there the other day had a green and beet salad with the fish tacos. Stayed under my goal for the day.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I dislike eating out or planning to when I am eating healthy. You have to put so much effort into it it's just not worth it. We are planning to go out Wed night---wing night at a local place. Wings delicious. But, I will get the boring turkey wrap. If I work my butt of that morning during my exercise routine I could have a few wings but, a few is never enough they are soooooo good. LOL

Careful with wraps. Those huge tortillas are often 300+ calories by themselves, and then when you put cheese and sauce in there you can be in for way more calories and less protein than if you ate the yummy wings.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options

Best to all!

I worked at a chain Italian restaurant for years (Bravo) and they regulate their portions with an iron fist, not just the pricey stuff like meat, but also pasta, butter, dressing- everything. I eat there every once in a while now, they have a really good light menu with some high protein items, and I trust their calorie counts as much as you can with anything.
  • anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    In all honesty...I don't get to go out very often...so usually it's a treat. If that is the case...I don't give a crap. HAHA. Just kidding. I tend to lean more towards a grilled chicken dish...and typically you can ask them to change out the fries (or whatever) for a side salad. It's one day...run an extra mile, or lift a little longer...or whatever you decide to do to workout. I don't let it ruin my evening. ...and by the way...Order your Reuben with turkey instead of corned beef, and ask for the dressing on the side...most of your sodium is coming from the corned beef...and the dressing is far worse than cheese could ever dream of! Trust me, I live in the 1000 Islands...(Yes, it's a real place). :happy:
  • magerum
    Options

Best to all!

went there 2 weeks ago.

glorious.

we dont go very often at all and actually that was one of my finalists.

i saw that it was "american kobe" so i backed out and went silly with the mac n cheese thing.

i'll try that though if we ever go back. i loves me a good burger.
    thanks for the tip!

Well if it was real Kobe it would be a $700 burger instead of $15 :wink:
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options

Best to all!

I had the spinach and salmon at a Cheescake Factory many years ago, low in calories high in flavour! Of course though I had a slice of cheesecake afterward. I mean, who can resist cheescake :love: