Filling but low calories

Options
Can anyone suggest some vegeterian meals which are quick too make, but filling and low in calories

as i keep going over my calories despite doing exercise as i can help myself from snacking and i think part of it is habit and part of it is i dont eat filling enough things as meals

Replies

• RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Eggplant is super low cal and I personally find it filling. Try roasting it with your favorite spices.
  • rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    Options
    My favorites are:
    Morningstar garden veggie patties(great as a burger sub/or with sweet & sour or terriyaki:rice or noodles,veggies like mushrooms,corn,red/green/yellow bell peppers-also good with Quorn chicken sub.)
    Quorn or morningstar nuggets with salad and bbq sauce
    Burrito-meat sub.,rice,beans,tomato/salsa,guacamole,veggie shreds
    I hope this helps,and hope your drinking a lot of water,eating a lot of protein and fiber to feel full longer,eat fresh fruits and veggies!Watching my portions has made a big difference,as snacking in between every meal.
  • jessimacar
    Options
    I sautee a bunch of veggies (onions, peppers, asparagus, anything really) in a pan with water, and then put them in a pita, or over some nacho chips, or in a soup.

also, depending on where you live, you can get marinated tofu in little packages at the grocery store (or marinate your own!). i don't like tofu any way but heavily marinated, and the brand i get isn't too high in calories, and i eat it with rice and veggies.

you can do stuffed peppers.. cut a bell pepper in half and fill it with finely chopped veggies, a little rice or bread crumbs and a little low cal cheese. throw them on a pan or on the bbq. so good.

spinach salads with veggies. spinach has almost no calories, so you can have a lot more.

hmm.. if you make your own egg salad, you can control what's in it, and lower the cals. an egg salad sandwich is usually pretty filling with a salad or something.

i also make "fajitas" without the tortilla. i use romaine lettuce and make lettuce wraps instead. :) you can add almost anything in them.

i often have veggie spring rolls. the store brand i buy has under 250 cals for 4 smaller ones.

I hope this helps!!
  • paticap
    Options
    Satsumas are only 25 calories and are yummy. Sea salt almonds (counted out and bagged) for portion control help me a lot. Those squares of cheese by Land o Lakes are great. Protein, protein, protein is the key.
  • ClaireElanB
    ClaireElanB Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Breakfasts of tofu scrambles with mushrooms tomatoes & spinach set you up for the day with low carbs & high protein intake. Add some Lightlife smart bacon to boost the veggie protein more. Yum!

For lunches & dinners try the Gardein ch'kn scallopinis (in the freezer section). One of those on a slice of wholegrain bread - super low cals, super high protein.

I recommend also 1/2 a wholegrain pita pocket & a veggie burger, add some salad, sprouts, some red pepper spread or other low calories spread or fat free nayonaise.
    Veggie burger - like Dr Preager California burger, or Amy's burgers or the Boca burgers - are quick & easy to heat & eat.
    You'll be more filled with higher protein intake.
    I also like to take cubed firm tofu & stirfry with lots of fresh veggies. Fill up on the fiber in steamed brocolli or spinach.
    Steamed cauliflower mashed like mash potato) with some salt & pepper & spices of your choosing (I like horseradish) is crazy low calorie & filling comfort foody.

Make your snacks fiber filled - sugar snap peas are a great choice, or cucumber slices drizzled with lemon juice. Make a fat free hummus at home by combining garbanzo beans (or any bean) with a tablespoon tahini, some s&p, lemon juice, & a dash of cayenne pepper. Add a little water if the consistency is too thick - or yogurt if you want it creamier.
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    how about some chili, I make large pots of it from fresh ingredients then it can be easily frozen in small amounts in ziplock bags, just lay it flat in the freezer without the meat and oil it comes to about 100-120 calories for a 1 cup serving.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Portabella mushroom caps are amazing grilled, roasted, sauteed, whatever. They marinate well or taste good on their own and you can use them in fajitas or as a burger or on its own with a side and greens. Love.
  • dietdebo
    Options
    I love a Boca Burger (the 70 cal one) and with ketchup and a slice of fat free cheese (if you don't mind super gross processed cheese) - definitely filling and only 100 calories!

Also, Campell's soup - the light ones - come in a can for 100 calories. High in sodium, but filling and yummy!
  • PolkaDot88
    PolkaDot88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos! I cut the recipe down to serve 4, and each burrito is 500 calories. You could probably cut that down even more (less oil, low-cal tortillas, etc). I usually can't even finish one burrito and it keeps me full for a long time. They taste great too!!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Addictive-Sweet-Potato-Burritos/Detail.aspx?prop31=1
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    Just posted this recipe in one of my groups... hope this helps... I love it!

"I found this randomly online one night when it was my turn to cook. I tend to only eat meat if it is local, organic, and grass fed so its hard to cook things for both of us sometimes. Even my fiance who is a big meat eater and always has to have some sort of meat in his dish enjoyed it and felt full from it.
    (called for goat cheese and it was fabulous that way- this time I decided to try the laughing cow cheese and it was awesome also!)

Veggie Baguette Serves 4
    4 Whole wheat saloio rolls (or cut whole wheat baguette in to quarters)
    1 Eggplant on the smaller side
    2 Red Peppers
    4 Wedges of Laughing Cow Cheese light ( I used garlic and herb this time)
    4 Teaspoons of kalamata olive spread

Take out seeds from both eggplant and red peppers. Cut both in to long strips lengthwise. Throw in oven to bake on 375F no oil or anything. Just keep an eye on them they will start to brown a little on the bottom... flip them over to cook evenly. Usually in there for under 10 minutes.
    While those are cooking. Take one of the rolls cut in half lengthwise. Spread one wedge of cheese on it and approx one teaspoon of olive spread. When Veggies are done. Layer red peppers and eggplant and enjoy your yummy sandwich.

Here is what MFP says it is per serving:
    232 calories, 38gCarbs, 5g fat, 9g protein, 7fiber, and 694mg sodium

sodium is on the high side- mostly from the olive spread.
    I am sure there are tons of other things to put on there for a pop of flavor but with less sodium- balsamic vinegar, hummus, etc.

Tonight I made it with oven roasted brussel sprouts as a side dish and it was the perfect meal!!!"