APPLE CIDER VINIGAR?

Options
So I have done some research about apple cider vinegar and how it helps with weight loss and I wanted to see if anyone has tried using it in their diet and if it has worked?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Weight loss? No.
    Sauces and such? Yes.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Weight loss? No.
    Sauces and such? Yes.

+1
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a few months, mixing it with water. Its not good. Its not horrible with fruity fuzzy water but it gets old fast. I did not notice any really great health improvments.
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It works wonders on getting salt stains removed from your winter boots or your coat! Are your black suede/cloth boots spotted with gray stains from the winter? Rub a little apple cider vinegar on them and they'll look like new :)

Weight loss - nope.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    So I have done some research about apple cider vinegar and how it helps with weight loss and I wanted to see if anyone has tried using it in their diet and if it has worked?

Everything in moderation and eating at a calorie deficit helps with weight loss.
  • Tophielicious
    Options
    Yes absolutely Apple Cider Vinegar.

Take 2/3 cup of it, add 2/3 cup rice vinegar, 1/2 cup a ketchup, 3tbsp brown sugar, 1/2 tsp caribbean Pick A Peppa sauce, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes and 1/2 tsp of pepper. Combine and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Now you know my sauce recipe. I recommend dousing a pork shoulder in this and slow cooking for like 8 hours, drain most of the juices in-between and shred with a fork.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before a meal lowers blood glucose levels that spike when you eat.

The "weight loss" part is because it makes you feel full after you ingest it.

It's also supposed to:

- cure the hiccups
    - help stomach problems (if it's a bacterial issue)
    - prevents indigestion
    - clears a stuffy nose
    - soothe a sore throat
    - beat exhaustion
    -cuts down on nighttime leg cramps

So there ARE benefits to drinking it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    There actually have been a couple of small human and animal studies that suggest it may help.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19661687 :
    Body weight, BMI, visceral fat area, waist circumference, and serum triglyceride levels were significantly lower in both vinegar intake groups than in the placebo group. In conclusion, daily intake of vinegar might be useful in the prevention of metabolic syndrome by reducing obesity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19469536 :
    AcOH administration inhibited the accumulation of body fat and hepatic lipids without changing food consumption or skeletal muscle weight.

There are also a couple of other studies that show positive effects on blood glucose levels in Diabetics. It's not much, though, and I don't have the details of the studies to see how valid they are in terms of their processes (ie - was the human one calorie controlled?), so take it for what it is - some potential positive correlation, but not necessarily definitive.

That said, apple cider vinegar has many uses that stretch far beyond weight loss, including as an upset stomach remedy, fabric softener, hair conditioner, and versatile food ingredient. So, use it for its other benefits, and if helping weight loss does happen to be one, then that's just icing on the proverbial cake. :drinker:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I love it on salads. Also red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar. Not too much at once though because I don't think it's great for your teeth.
  • bio_fit
    Options
    2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before a meal lowers blood glucose levels that spike when you eat.

It's also supposed to:

- cure the hiccups
    - prevents indigestion
    - clears a stuffy nose
    - soothe a sore throat
    - beat exhaustion

The key part of this quote is 'supposed to'. In Europe, manufacturers can't make any health claims about apple cider vinegar because there is no solid evidence to back it up.
  • jorralee
    jorralee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've tried just for the health benefits but I find the taste pretty awful so I gave my bottle away.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    The debate has been raging since the 1950s when it was promoted in a health book. If there are any benefits, they would only be found in the raw, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar with the mother. I'm not saying The Mother does anything special, but for certain any distilled vinegar is like the next and just an acid to be added to foods and salad dressings.
  • bio_fit
    Options
    There actually have been a couple of small human and animal studies that suggest it may help.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19661687 :
    Body weight, BMI, visceral fat area, waist circumference, and serum triglyceride levels were significantly lower in both vinegar intake groups than in the placebo group. In conclusion, daily intake of vinegar might be useful in the prevention of metabolic syndrome by reducing obesity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19469536 :
    AcOH administration inhibited the accumulation of body fat and hepatic lipids without changing food consumption or skeletal muscle weight.

There are also a couple of other studies that show positive effects on blood glucose levels in Diabetics. It's not much, though, and I don't have the details of the studies to see how valid they are in terms of their processes (ie - was the human one calorie controlled?), so take it for what it is - some potential positive correlation, but not necessarily definitive.

That said, apple cider vinegar has many uses that stretch far beyond weight loss, including as an upset stomach remedy, fabric softener, hair conditioner, and versatile food ingredient. So, use it for its other benefits, and if helping weight loss does happen to be one, then that's just icing on the proverbial cake. :drinker:

But then there is also a study that linked it to a 4.4 fold increase in the risk of bladder cancer - so you know, swings and roundabouts.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    no...

caloric deficit for weight loss...
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    It works wonders on getting salt stains removed from your winter boots or your coat! Are your black suede/cloth boots spotted with gray stains from the winter? Rub a little apple cider vinegar on them and they'll look like new :)

Weight loss - nope.

this is a great tip thanks!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've tried just for the health benefits but I find the taste pretty awful so I gave my bottle away.
    That's too bad. It's great for salad dressings, brining a turkey or the awesome looking sauce mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm going to have to give that one a try!
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    no...

caloric deficit for weight loss...

^^^this^^^

Calories in < calories out = weight loss
    ...it's really that simple.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options

It's also supposed to:

- cure the hiccups
    - prevents indigestion
    - clears a stuffy nose
    - soothe a sore throat
    - beat exhaustion

There is no evidence to support the myth that Apple Cider Vinegar lowers blood sugar levels. It can help stomach issues but its not from a bacterial issue, its from low stomach acid. as for the other things you listed...not sure but its probably doubtful
  • jorralee
    jorralee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    That's too bad. It's great for salad dressings, brining a turkey or the awesome looking sauce mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm going to have to give that one a try!

I actually haven't tried to use it as a dressing... I only tried it with water or just a spoonful every day. I might try it again for sauces or dressings that are low in calories. Thanks for the tip!
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Its amazing for your hair and scalp. Even for your face as a toner, if you can stand the smell....