0g of sugar, but 12g of sugar alcohol? Wha...?

Options
Tried a new protein bar today that was gluten-free, 20g and 0 sugar. It was delicious, by the way. ;) I was excited that it was this good with no sugar in it.

As I was biting into it, I noticed on the wrapper that it said it contained 12g of sugar alcohol.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once that's chemically processed in our bodies, wouldn't that be sugar I'm ingesting?

Replies

• fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Your body does not digest sugar alcohols so they are calorie free. It's common in things like sugar free candies. Can give some people the runs though so be careful.
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Your body does not digest sugar alcohols so they are calorie free. It's common in things like sugar free candies. Can give some people the runs though so be careful.

Ohhh I see. Thank you!
  • earthorca
    Options
    The ADA American Diabetes Assoc. states:

Sugar Alcohols
    Sugar alcohols are one type of reduced-caloriea sweetner. You can find them in ice creams, cookies, puddings, candies and chewing gum that is labeled as "sugar-free" or "no sugar added." Sugar alcohols provide fewer calories than sugar and have less effect on blood glucose (blood sugar) thans other carohydates....

My docotor advised me that they process slower then "regular"sugars which is why he considers them better.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Also, they are harmless to humans and cats, but fatal to dogs. One pack of Orbit gum can kill a dog. (Mine found a pack left on the desk when I was gone.)
  • windybiscuit
    windybiscuit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sugar alcohols don't have the same calories found in normal sugars like fructose and sucrose, but many (like maltitol), can still affect your blood sugar and insulin levels, which is likely a problem for anyone on a low-carb diet, diabetics, or anyone who might otherwise be concerned about the sugar in what they eat. There are some sugar alcohols, like erythritol, that have a minimal effect on blood sugar, and make great natural alternatives to the artificial sweeteners like sucralose (as in Splenda), aspartame (NutraSweet), and saccharin (Sweet 'n' Low).

There is also the previously-mentioned consideration that many sugar alcohols can cause digestive upset if consumed in high quantities (because they are not absorbed during digestion and get passed straight through).