too much exercise?

Options
Do you guys think i am doing too much exercise?

Sunday: 1 hour horseback riding, 50 minutes walking my dog
Monday, Friday: 30-45 minutes cardio (either elliptical or bike machine), weights/full body workout (don't know how long), 50 minutes dog walking
Tuesday: 50 minutes dog walking
Wednesday: weights/ planks/ squats... (don't know how long), 50 minutes dog walking
Thursday 50 minutes dog walking
Saturday: 50 minutes walking my dog

what do you guys think?
I want to become fit, want to get more muscles/ stronger. And want to lose fat.

Replies

• rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options

Monday, Friday: 30-45 minutes cardio (either elliptical or bike machine), weights/full body workout (don't know how long), 50 minutes dog walking
    Wednesday: weights/ planks/ squats... (don't know how long), 50 minutes dog walking

what do you guys think?

No you are not exercising too much. I would also need more details around your strength training routine and at what intensity your cardio workouts are. I don't consider walking the dog as a workout but others might, at least you are moving a lot. Good nutrition will help in your muscle recovery and eating at a deficit will help you lose fat.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

what do you guys think?

Too much is really individualized to the person. I can run 3-18 miles/hit the weight room every day of the year and it really wouldn't be considered too much as I have been an athlete for the majority of my life and have quite of bit experience on what my body will do and is capable of. I also need the exercise more than most people for health reasons.

One of your goals is to get stronger, you will not get that on lifting weights once a week.

Another goal is to have more muscles and to lost fat. Virtually impossible for most people. You either gain muscle by eating at a surplus or lost fat by a calorie deficit.

Walking just isn't going to do much for you in the exception of allowing you to eat slightly more each day. Not downing you walking, there isn't anything wrong with it. Just its not going to help you with all your goal you stated. Good to get out with the dog and get some scenery in regardless.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    That does not strike me as too much exercise. It seems healtyh to me.

Walking has many, many benefits. Your body releases proteins when you walk that help guard against diseases like Alzheimer's, walking is good for your heart muscle, and it distributes more oxygen throughout your body, which keeps your organs, brain, and skin healthy. And mentally, it's just good for your peace of mind.

I have read on here and elsewhere that heavy weight lifting will help your metabolism rev up, so you might want to try that.
  • FitPhDiva
    Options
    It doesn't sound like too much. You're not doing hours of high intensity workouts for days on end, so you should be fine. You just need to make sure that your dietary intake is adequate for the activities you're doing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    No, you're not really doing anything intensive. I would definitely recommend more resistance work though...2x weekly full body is pretty much the minimum...3x weekly full body is ideal...3-4x weekly if you're doing a periodized split routine. Most of your exercise is walking (nothing wrong with that) but you could easily throw in some more weight lifting sessions and still do the walking.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Dog walking?

Unless you are walking your dog up mount everest for 50 min, no.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Since you have three days off (dog walking), I'd say you could add more. I don't consider walks to be training, unless you are doing some sort of intervals/sprints also.

Another day of weight training would probably benefit you.
  • emmataylor1233
    Options
    okay. Thanks I will start doing more weights. and doing some of the things you guys recommended :)