What do you eat on your cheat day?

Options
I wanted to make one for myself because I am giving up take out and I know I will go bonkers if I don't have some release food wise. I was thinking each week I could eat something I want that I don't normally get from the food store. Like T.G.I Fridays frozen apps. I love their BBQ honey chicken bites. I don't normally eat those.

What do you eat on your cheat day? Do you stay within your calories and stuff?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't schedule cheat days, but I recognize that there will always be occasions when I eat out of the ordinary. Parties, birthdays, holidays, dinner out, reunions, vacation, etc.

Sometimes it means going over my calorie goal, sometimes not. On these occasions I eat pretty much whatever I want, without going crazy. I'm not a binge eater, but there are just some occasions that wouldn't be the same without copious amounts of food and drink.

The particular food eaten in copious amounts can really be anything, but if I know an occasion is coming up I'll usually eat a little lighter before and try to work in more exercise.
  • player30
    player30 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My worst cheat food is french fries. If I eat them, I either fit them into my daily intake or if I have a good weekly deficit I will allow an over for the day.
  • ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    No cheat days here...I don't feel the need to have them since I eat the same things I did before, just in smaller portions.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i used to have a cheat day and basically ate whatever i wanted...
    those days are over as they didnt serve me well.
    imo thats a "diet" mentality. and Im not on a "diet" per se im eating for life.
    and some days i will want something processed and unhealthy and thats ok...i can have it.
    i just cannot eat like that 3 times a day every day. in moderation....

but again imo, its important not to deprive or feel like you cant have something...unless its "cheating".

maybe plan for a fast food meal or a treat so it fits into your caloric day once a week....instead of a cheat day?
  • jorralee
    jorralee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    All u can eat Sushi, and later on that night cake, icecream and maybe some drinks.

I fast almost all day before going to have dinner at an all u can eat sushi place though. This is a real cheat day for me and I gain 2/3 kgs instantly the next day from water weight or just the food in my body haha.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    What are tthese cheat days of which you speak? :o
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day EVERYDAY!!!!!! I just fit it into my cals for the day. I used to not be able to do that because I only had 1200-1300 cals to work with. After so long of not losing much weight, I began circuit training, crossfit and I raised my cals to anywhere between 1500-1800. I am losing an average of 2 pounds per week. Last friday I had Burger King for lunch and Taco Bell for dinner. I try not to do that all the time because it makes me feel tired and sluggish, but everyday you will find something naughty in my food diary!!! :) If I go over, I log it and look back over my weekly stats. It usually evens out, so I dont freak out about it!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Do you stay within your calories and stuff?

Absolutely. Maybe 6-7 days a year I'll go over.

Otherwise it's just self-sabatoge.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I don't schedule cheat days, but I recognize that there will always be occasions when I eat out of the ordinary. Parties, birthdays, holidays, dinner out, reunions, vacation, etc.

Sometimes it means going over my calorie goal, sometimes not.

^^This. I fit what I want in my calories as best I can but I know some days I will go over. usually I can keep it pretty steady though. We have a restaurant meal every week, once a week, and for that I always plan to fit it in my goals, but parties and holidays and stuff I occasionally go over.
  • tdh115
    tdh115 Posts: 52
    Options
    Here is something else to consider. The better you eat the less you will want the "cheat foods". I used to eat Lunch out everyday Mon-Fri with co-workers. When I started this new lifestyle I decided to start bringing my lunch. There have been a few occasions when I have been caught off guard and had to stay late for a meeting or go somewhere after work that I had not planned. On these occasions I decided to just run thru a drive thru and eat on the way. After all it was just one meal and if I ordered sensibly it would not really hurt me. Now mind you cannot order a Salad to eat while you are driving, so I ordered burgers and fries. Every time I have stopped to get fast food, I have been disappointed. The taste is terrible to me now and then I think of how many steps I am going to have to walk to burn off the crap I just ate.

So bottom line, you will probably find that you don't really need "cheat" days. I agree with the others that this is a diet mentality. You are looking for a lifestyle change.

Now when we plan dinner out at a restaurant (I will never again plan fast food), I just work a little harder during the day and order sensibly. I do not deny myself anything, but I do control my portions and I do decide if it is something I can fit into my day and how many steps I am going to have to take to work it off. Some things occasionally are worth the extra steps and as long as I am enjoying the food and realizing while I am eating it that I will have to work harder because of it, then that it ok.

I think planning cheat days is setting yourself up to fail. Food cannot be seen as a reward.
  • missvie
    missvie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    On my cheat days I eat BREAD! I am sticking to a mostly paleo diet so I dont eat any bread or processed stuff as much as I can help it. This weekend I went out for dinner with the bf and got an arugula and goatcheese flat bread. DIVINE!
  • br1twaslyke
    br1twaslyke Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    No cheat days here...I don't feel the need to have them since I eat the same things I did before, just in smaller portions.

same! I went to the Chinese buffet for my dad's 50th birthday this past Friday, and everything was so yummy I had exactly what I would normally have, stuffed mushrooms, crab rangoons, etc.. just much less, walked out very satisfied after just 1 small plate as opposed to 2-3 large ones! you can eat what you want, just don't eat a lot of it!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I wanted to make one for myself because I am giving up take out and I know I will go bonkers if I don't have some release food wise. I was thinking each week I could eat something I want that I don't normally get from the food store. Like T.G.I Fridays frozen apps. I love their BBQ honey chicken bites. I don't normally eat those.

What do you eat on your cheat day? Do you stay within your calories and stuff?
    No cheat days for me. I work whatever I want into my calorie allowance. If I know I might be going out to dinner, I will save up calories for that, but I will not freak if I go over my calorie allowance. I like moderation so much better than saving up cheat days, because for me cheat days are from my old diet mentality where I deprive myself. This is just for me, though, and may not work for everyone.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, cheat days aren't needed if one can count calories correctly and know how to portion out what they like to cheat with.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    On my cheat days I eat BREAD! I am sticking to a mostly paleo diet so I dont eat any bread or processed stuff as much as I can help it. This weekend I went out for dinner with the bf and got an arugula and goatcheese flat bread. DIVINE!
    I LOVE bread. In fact, I make my own!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The only times I had a cheat day, it wasn't planned, and it was because I was craving something that could not possibly fit in my calories. Typically I just eat what I like within my calories.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    French fries, chocolate or potato chips.

Yum!
  • paigebeverly
    paigebeverly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    No cheat days here either. But twice a week we will draw a restaurant name out of a cup and go there. I don't go over board but if I want a enchilada I will eat one with a side of rice. I am not going to deprive myself of the foods I like I just tell myself to eat the kid size plate.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    When I first started, those days were full of cakes, sweets, deep fried stuff...now I still have cheat days but cheat rather on volume than quality. I just double the amount I normally eat, like 10 oz beef pot roast or 2 cups of turkey chilli...not really going too overboard...
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I pretty much each everything in sight on a cheat day. I think it's good to let go for a day (or 2!) I pretty much will go over unless I've worked out on that day :) seems to work out well for me, helps me stay on track in the week.