does strength training require weights?

Options
Don't have money for a gymnor equipment, even if there on craigslist, money is super tight. I want a firm body esp my tummy. So is it possible to strength train without weights?

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Check out the iphone/android app 'You are your own gym'
    You can get reasonably strong without weights.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I myself use weights but there are some exercises you can do using your own weight as the resistance. A friend of mine uses resistance bands and swears by them and they are fairly cheap.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight circuits will get you strong to a point.

You can modify things to make them more difficult, like progressing from regular squats to pistol squats and so on.

But there'll be a point where you won't be able to progress any more.

Although it should be noted that a "firm body especially tummy" is a lot to do with diet and a low enough percentage of body fat.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You do not need weights. The average person will need a long time to "out grow" bodyweight progressions, and you would have long since achieved having a firm body.
    YAYOG
    convict conditioning
    Nerd fitness
    Shot of adrenaline
  • capricorn2721
    capricorn2721 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    No it does not. You can always use resistance bands or do physical exercises. If you feel like you want something in your hand like a weight but don't want to spend $$ for it, try a can of soup or a bottled water. Lots of ways to build strength.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight training is really tough. Pushups, chinups, planks, squats, lunges, sitpus, toes to bars, etc. all according to budget and preference.
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just google for body weight exercises, you'll find a ton. Same on Pinterest, they've got *loads* of full-body workouts pinned there.

The Nerd Fitness one is quite nice and straightforward: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

I reckon you can get pretty far with basics like pushups, planks, squats...
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i know people who use tins/cans of vegetables/baked beans instead of weights. its saves them having to pay a fortune to go to the gym or buy their own weights! but other have said, as well as using weights there are plenty of other exercises :)
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel like sticking to body weight workouts you can find all kinds of things to use as weights. Milk jugs filled with water, bag of potatoes, a small child, spare tire, college text books, look around you house (you can even pick up one end of your couch).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    body weight training is great...but like any resistance routine, make sure you're following a program to make sure you're hitting everything you should be hitting. Just doing your own thing probably isn't going to give you the results you are looking for.

Nerd Fitness is a great resource...also, "You Are your Own Gym" is pretty awesome. "Convict Conditioning" as well...it's pretty hardcore.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    i know people who use tins/cans of vegetables/baked beans instead of weights. its saves them having to pay a fortune to go to the gym or buy their own weights! but other have said, as well as using weights there are plenty of other exercises :)

none of those weigh enough to really count as weights. Maybe a big sack of potatos.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    ...all the above.. And in case it's not been mentioned, you can wear a backpack with some heavy books (dictionary, college texts, etc) while you are doing the bodyweight exercises once you feel you are ready.. And find other heavy things to lift. My Kitchenaid stand mixer weighs about 23#. . . Move firewood, clean out the the garage, baskets of wet laundry are a bit hearty too,
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    When I first started and didn't own any weights, I lifted my crockpot over my head. LOL! At least it was a start!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on your local freecycle - but yes, there's loads you can do with bodyweight.
  • yogagirl100
    yogagirl100 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You can use your own body weight instead like some of the other posters said. If you go on youtube and search body weight workout there will be tons of stuff, and the blogilates channel is really good for it :)

Also you can fill bottles with sand or water and use those instead of hand weights.