Dropped soda completely .. Pounds not falling off??

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You could have dieter's edema.

[your high BP is the result of] excess sodium combined with a lack of potassium.

Thanks Dr Husky. Most physicians could really benefit from your incredible internet diagnostic skills.

Seriously. Don't tell someone what their high BP is from. You don't know. Don't also provisionally offer diagnoses like dieter's edema when you have no idea.

This stuff does no one any good.

First off, I didn't diagnose anyone. I said "could". I had dieter's edema when I first started. I'm only sharing from my experience.

If you think OP should see a doctor, then by all means, advise him as such. But there isn't any false information in my post.

Well except for the part where you determined through the internet that his hypertension is caused by a sodium/potassium imbalance.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

[your high BP is the result of] excess sodium combined with a lack of potassium.

Thanks Dr Husky. Most physicians could really benefit from your incredible internet diagnostic skills.

Seriously. Don't tell someone what their high BP is from. You don't know. Don't also provisionally offer diagnoses like dieter's edema when you have no idea.

First off, I didn't diagnose anyone. I said "could". I had dieter's edema when I first started. I'm only sharing from my experience.

If you think OP should see a doctor, then by all means, advise him as such. But there isn't any false information in my post.

Well except for the part where you determined through the internet that his hypertension is caused by a sodium/potassium imbalance.

Sodium/potassium imbalance does cause hypertension. :huh:
  • jonnythan
    Options

And nothing else does?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

And nothing else does?

Heredity I think has a role in it. But, the man suggested that his diet was in excess sodium. I looked and didn't see where he could be getting a lot of potassium. Forgive me if I make the leap in assuming that his diet might be causing his symptom. But his doctor probably would have drawn the same conclusion.

I'm sorry. What exactly is your beef? I didn't say anything about him not seeing a doctor. His questions were how he could change his diet to correct that issues he is having. I would hope that if he changed his diets and still had high blood pressure that he would take the time to go to the doctor on his own.

So sorry if the way I worded my advice doesn't suit you, but it wasn't really meant for you anyway, and again, there isn't any misinformation in what I posted.

Are you bored today, Jonny?

Do you need someone to argue with?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Heredity I think has a role in it. But, the man suggested that his diet was in excess sodium. I looked and didn't see where he could be getting a lot of potassium. Forgive me if I make the leap in assuming that his diet might be causing his symptom. But his doctor probably would have drawn the same conclusion.

I'm sorry. What exactly is your beef? I didn't say anything about him not seeing a doctor. His questions were how he could change his diet to correct that issues he is having. I would hope that if he changed his diets and still had high blood pressure that he would take the time to go to the doctor on his own.

So sorry if the way I worded my advice doesn't suit you, but it wasn't really meant for you anyway, and again, there isn't any misinformation in what I posted.

My beef is that you are telling people what has caused their symptoms when you have no clue whatsoever. Don't offer medical diagnoses online when you don't know anything about the person and aren't qualified to do so. You have no idea what combination of lifestyle and genetics has contributed to his hypertension. Don't pretend to know and then tell him.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Have you tried diet soda? Took me a while to get used to it but now I like it.

do NOT switch to diet soda - it is absolutely HORRIBLE for you.
    Really? I've been drinking it for over 25 years and haven't ANY of the side effects purported to happen if you drink it. If you have good dental hygiene, don't drink tons of it a day, and still get in enough water, diet soda does fine if you need that sweet kick on a daily basis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

My beef is that you are telling people what has caused their symptoms when you have no clue whatsoever. Don't offer medical diagnoses online when you don't know anything about the person and aren't qualified to do so. You have no idea what combination of lifestyle and genetics has contributed to his hypertension. Don't pretend to know and then tell him.

Whatever Jonny. Sodium/potassium imbalance is a primary cause of hypertension. Again, sorry I didn't word my post the way you think it should have been written. I didn't offer a medical diagnosis. The OP suggested that his diet could be the problem causing the change in his blood pressure. Yes, it could. If that looks like a medical diagnosis to you, instead of a helpful member of the MFP community, attempting to share and impart knowledge obtained, then my sincerest apologies.

But I really don't care to engage with you any further as I know you will argue back and forth for hours/days about whether or not I offered a medical diagnosis, and you just aren't worth my energy. Have a good one!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I am a whole food plant based eater - alot of what you eat (meat, dairy, oil and processed food) will give your body a ton of inflammation, even at a reduced calorie intake, not to mention contribute to so many diseases like heart issues, cancer, diabetes and more.
    Don't forget to say "IN EXCESS" when making these claims.
    I became certified in WFPB nutrition from eCornell
    Which means little in actually accreditation towards overall dietary and nutrition certification. It's like saying you're certified in Taebo which really isn't any different than other cardio kickboxing programs.
    Just my 2 cents - try renting the movie Forks Over Knives on Netflix or Amazon Video - it is what got me to change overnight after a lifetime of illness that was getting worse and worse by the day!
    The majority of documentaries (especially on food) are biased and edit in information that supports their beliefs. It's not to say that one can't survive on a plant based diet only, but demonizing meat shouldn't be the approach to get one to do it.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I am a whole food plant based eater - alot of what you eat (meat, dairy, oil and processed food) will give your body a ton of inflammation, even at a reduced calorie intake, not to mention contribute to so many diseases like heart issues, cancer, diabetes and more.

I became certified in WFPB nutrition from eCornell and if you really want to see your body respond, eat only a whole food plant based lifestyle and watch - I switched about a year ago, am launching a business in PA but plan to remote help patients with Skype or any other video means as well and can help guide you to transitioning to much better food while your body responds and lets go of the weight you want to see come off - esp if your pic with that little baby is yours - you want to live a long time for your kids......

Just my 2 cents - try renting the movie Forks Over Knives on Netflix or Amazon Video - it is what got me to change overnight after a lifetime of illness that was getting worse and worse by the day!

:huh:
    Apparently her eye color is changing from it too.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts or checked your food diary.

But here are some (maybe) helpful hints or ideas

Make one healthy change at a time like sub out soda for water, add an extra serving of veggies, use smaller plates

Just don't buy soda, if you don't have it in the house then you cannot drink it. But with everything in moderation if you are out somewhere, then have your soda. That is totally within moderation.

Similar to above, just don't buy processed foods then you are forced to make your own dinner. I cannot tell you the times when I just wanted to microwave or heat up something quick but couldn't since I didn't have any.

Go to meals are rice or quinoa, steam some frozen or fresh veggies and either frozen fish or bake a piece of chicken.

Depending on where you live there are business that you can go to and premake or batch make a whole bunch of dinners.
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I scanned through the other replies and I wanted to add one thing. Think about getting a food scale. Looking at your diary, its better to weigh out your cereal for breakfast, and the meat/cheese on your sandwich for lunch. I found I was overeating when I was using measuring cups or trying to "eyeball" it.
  • ig109
    ig109 Posts: 12
    Options
    Tonight I applied what I learned today.. I tried a baked potato rather than instant.. kept with the servings.. Used a food scale to correctly measure and honestly enter the amount of food I ate and was surprised by the outcome.. I am currently 900calories under my goal for the day but still (due to ham for lunch) way over my goal for sodium.. I am going to have to finish my ham out for the week just because I have already paid for it and am not made of money..

I sub'd in Mrs Dash in for salt.. It tasted so much better than just salt and was sodium free..

To the people posting here just making it a pissing match please stop.. Message one another if you wish to argue.. I am doing this to try and help myself change my dietary habits..
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Tonight I applied what I learned today.. I tried a baked potato rather than instant.. kept with the servings.. Used a food scale to correctly measure and honestly enter the amount of food I ate and was surprised by the outcome.. I am currently 900calories under my goal for the day but still (due to ham for lunch) way over my goal for sodium.. I am going to have to finish my ham out for the week just because I have already paid for it and am not made of money..

I sub'd in Mrs Dash in for salt.. It tasted so much better than just salt and was sodium free..

To the people posting here just making it a pissing match please stop.. Message one another if you wish to argue.. I am doing this to try and help myself change my dietary habits..

Good work.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I would drop beverages with artificial sweeteners. Your body may react to it like it's sugar.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Unless you have health issues that require you to cut out sodium, its not going to magically make you lose weight. All sodium reduction will do is help reduce water weight. Eventually you will lose weight and get down to a weight your happy with, regardless of how much sodium you intake. I bounce between 144-151 pounds on a day to day basis due to retaining water from high sodium. I dont count, nor do i care to count sodium. If it ever becomes a health issue, I will address it.
  • Mandylynne1979
    Mandylynne1979 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    yes the sodium can make you retain water, and the splenda will actually keep the weight on too...it's very unhealthy to have artificial sweeteners. Exercise will definitely help you to drop the pounds, just by walking alone I lost 60 pounds.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Unless you have health issues that require you to cut out sodium, its not going to magically make you lose weight. All sodium reduction will do is help reduce water weight. Eventually you will lose weight and get down to a weight your happy with, regardless of how much sodium you intake. I bounce between 144-151 pounds on a day to day basis due to retaining water from high sodium. I dont count, nor do i care to count sodium. If it ever becomes a health issue, I will address it.

Or, you moderate it now, before it becomes a problem.
  • Matt_1972
    Matt_1972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's great that you have decided to take charge of your life.
    This is a great resource for lots of ideas from people who have been through what you have been through.
    It is worth keeping in mind that most people on the boards are cheerleaders for their ways of life. There is nothing wrong with that, it's human nature, but there is no one size fits all when it comes to losing weight, gaining fitness, increasing health.
    One thing that most people would agree to is that whatever you are trying give it a decent go. Stick with something for 4-6 weeks and then take stock. See where you are improving see where you need to work harder. Then start another 4-6 week block.
    As you educate yourself about what you need to be doing you will have the knowledge to make better choices.
    You just have to want to keep getting better and making decisions that facilitate that and you will be successful.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options

You only live once, might aswell enjoy it. Feel free to reply, but your beating a dead horse.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options

You only live once, might aswell enjoy it. Feel free to reply, but your beating a dead horse.

Did you miss the part about his hypertension?