Personal Fitness interest on resume

Options
jordanlell
jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
I'm working on my resume to apply for summer internship, and I'm thinking of adding "personal fitness" in my other interests section. Given that many of us here do have a genuine interest in personal fitness, has anyone else done this? Would it be weird? I read somewhere that a genuine personal interest is any that you could easily have a non-awkward five minutes conversation about, and I totally could in this case. Also, my career path is a somewhat physical one (wildlife management/conservation), so I kind of feel like they might like to know that I'm interested in maintaining a decent level of fitness.

Replies

• KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Sure, list anything that you think would be a conversation starter... A friend of mine put "avid blood donor" and hula-hoop expert" on hers and BAM she got a job.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I agree that it would be appropriate. It would help to demonstrate that you have self-discipline, motivation and are energetic.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I put something to that effect along with my love of skiing. Both of them got comments during a dozen different interviews in the past few years. And that's usually a good thing, especially if the interviewer can relate.
  • californiabella
    Options
    ... and if you don't think the interviewer can relate, I'd refrain from discussing it unless you're asked specifically... I stay wary of judgmental interviewers.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who sometimes hires people:

I would be fine with "personal fitness" as an interest. Or skiing.
    Listed under interests or hobbies

Hulahoop and avid blood donor would not go over well.

ETA: I just read a resume where someone listed "conceal carry permit" (from another state) under special certifications.
  • jordanlell
    Options

ETA: I just read a resume where someone listed "conceal carry permit" (from another state) under special certifications.

Yes, it's at the bottom of my resume, listed under "other interests". Any other tips you can offer? This is my first time applying for a position that is actually in my career field and I'm a bit nervous about it.
  • trojan_bb
    Options

You know you overplayed your hand when ibankers find your cover letter ridiculously egotistical.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

unemployment rates are way up, wallstreet should **** themselves. This guy obviously applied to many other places before getting so overtly ballsy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Yes, it's at the bottom of my resume, listed under "other interests". Any other tips you can offer? This is my first time applying for a position that is actually in my career field and I'm a bit nervous about it.
    Just to REALLY study the company/agency you're applying to work at. I don't mind when someone says they can "grow" into a position, but only if they have the basic skills down. I like when applicants know what we do, and can imagine what it would take to do the job. I like when they mention something about what they know about what we do.
    Arrive early. and all the other common sense stuff.
    Best of luck.

ETA: make your Facebook private. And don't let people TAG and post photos of you. On their wall, or yours. Always put a drink down when someone picks up a camera. :-)
  • bearkisses
    Options

as someone who has also hired, I would leave 'other interests' off as sometimes it can read as filler.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    "Personal fitness" is a little vague. Can you be more specific- hiking, biking, running? It would go well with the type of work you're looking for to show that you're outdoors-y.

I changed jobs in 2012 and the age of 59 and was participated in the local athletic competition with my previous company. I knew the place where I interviewed also participated, so added on my resume that I was a participant in the 5K, the bike race, the mile and half-mile runs, the 200m free and the sprint triathlon. It fit in with the corporate culture (they have a wellness program and my boss once ran a 50-mile race) and also eased any fears anyone might have had that since I was "old" I'd take a lot of sick days.

So, I'd find a way to add it. Just remember that you might interview with a couch-potato type, too, and it might not resonate with them.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think hobbies belong on a résumé unless you have nothing else to stick on it.

Some jobs will also rule you out based on those hobbies. My job would never have hired me if they knew about my dancing. They're the kind of people who think Zumba is too racy, so I don't think they would see bellydancing in a positive light, LOL.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

as someone who has also hired, I would leave 'other interests' off as sometimes it can read as filler.
    It definitely can. But I don't find it annoying or offensive. The hula hoop one would annoy me.
  • bearkisses
    Options
    and also in regards to the douchy wallstreet idiots,

This is just one of the commercials that plays in my province. It is actually HIGHLY reflective of what it feels like to job search so I think it is so radical to laugh who is trying to 'stand out' from the competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKRPD8rKohk
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the job. I interview people for a desk job and I do not read the personal interests or "other" bits of information; however, I have seen 2 people write "Certified Personal Trainer" and I smirked both times. While I could use a personal trainer, that has zero bearing on the job task that would be required of them. :happy:
  • trojan_bb
    Options

The other interests section has gotten me hired for two extremely nice positions in the past.
  • jordanlell
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, guys! It's kind of a weird situation, as the position is in Panama and I'm currently in the Pacific NW. I don't think I'll be having a face-to-face interview, so I'm trying to give them an idea of what I'm like as a person. I have included hiking and camping as interests as well.
  • bearkisses
    Options
    whatever you decide, i am sending out good vibes! good luck!!!
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    If its for a desk job, I would not include it in resume but maybe mention extra curricular in the cover.