Calorie burning help

Options
I'm really confused on calories burned! I have a Polar watch/heart monitor that tells me how many calories I've burned based on my heart rate and weight & a friend said it's not possible for me to burn the number of calories that my watch is telling me I am. I did wii boxing for 27 minutes & burned 133 calories. My heart rate stayed around 140 & I weigh 237 pounds. From what I understand, the more you weigh, the more calories you burn when you exercise. Here is another example...I was on my treadmill for 15 minutes & burned 187 calories according to my monitor. I do raise the speed every couple of minutes & get my heart rate up to 145 before stopping. Can anyone help me so I'm not selling myself short on my workouts?

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to your friend. She doesn't know what she's talking about. Continue to use your heart rate monitor and track based on that, and not off a guess off some website.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Everybody's different, and weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Trust your HRM for two weeks, then reevaluate: did you lose, maintain, or gain?

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • 000Linda000
    000Linda000 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That actually seems pretty accurate.

Wii boxing isn't intense at all, and 30mins of swinging your arms around isn't much exercise regardless of how much you weight.

Also, 15mins on the treadmill and just under 200 calories is quite a heafty munber! Hand an hour on the treadmill for me only come to 300 calories.

Keep it up though!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused on calories burned! I have a Polar watch/heart monitor that tells me how many calories I've burned based on my heart rate and weight & a friend said it's not possible for me to burn the number of calories that my watch is telling me I am. I did wii boxing for 27 minutes & burned 133 calories. My heart rate stayed around 140 & I weigh 237 pounds. From what I understand, the more you weigh, the more calories you burn when you exercise. Here is another example...I was on my treadmill for 15 minutes & burned 187 calories according to my monitor. I do raise the speed every couple of minutes & get my heart rate up to 145 before stopping. Can anyone help me so I'm not selling myself short on my workouts?
    Your friend does not know what she's talking about. You are spot on with your understanding. As we lose weight our calories decrease because we have less fat in our bodies.

Be sure to eat your exercise calories back too. :smile:
  • lauriebeakley1
    Options
    Thank you all so much! The link was very helpful & I feel WAY less crazy now. :) I knew I'd get the help I needed here.