one month in and motivation is slowly going. . . .

Options
2»

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Set goals that are independent of the scale.

How many pushups can you do?

How long does it take you to walk/run a mile?
  • FirstandGoal
    Options
    Just remember, every breakthrough is proceeded by a breakdown.

I think we all have been there, losing motivation, and wondering why we have to go without and stick to it, while other people seem to eat all that they want and never gain weight. That, we can't change. But what we can change is how we look at it. Whats worse, going without sweets or junk food, that are bad for us anyways, or going without feeling energetic, sexy, fit, confident?

I find that these feelings usually coincide with very particular times of the month. You ladies know what I mean.

Just take a day to yourself. Remind yourself that the food will always be there. There will always be tempations, and it's ok to have them once in a while, but realize you will lose your want for those soon. Remember, sacrifice is giving up something good for something better. Think of how you want to feel this spring and summer, not how you feel now.

And you have lost 8lbs! That is awesome! You will get there, don't lose hope!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    The thing about this process is, you have to get out of the weight loss= success mind set. If you focus on being healthier instead, you will see improvement every day and be much more motivated! Focus on improving athletic performance and eating healthy, and the weight will fall off on its own. :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    So... you haven't picked a healthy lifestyle that you can sustain forever? Because everything other than that is always a fail in the long run. Weight loss slows. Always does and for everyone. Find another way to be "motivated" than by a number on a device.
  • theruby
    theruby Posts: 36
    Options
    It's a slow process and you're going to have to wrap your brain around that. In my experience, long term and sustained success happens when people really start looking at the much bigger picture, not just the scale. That bigger picture being your overall health now and in the long term...your nutrition, and your fitness. These things are life long endeavors...there is no finish line...you are never "done"...they are an intricate part of your everyday life forever. Once you start taking that all in, a handful of weeks is pretty irrelevant.

I would suggest putting more of your focus on you nutrition and your fitness and the process of being the best you that you can possibly be. Be more awesome today than you were yesterday, and sleep well tonight in the knowledge that you're going to rock it tomorrow. You do that most of the time (you will never be 100% on) and the results will follow. Obsessing solely on the scale is not really going to get you anywhere fast.

Very well put.
  • A_nori
    A_nori Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You have already lost more than what the average new born weighs!! Think about that for a second - you have lost more than an entire person in a month. That's pretty incredible! Go you!
  • coffencr
    coffencr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You can do this , think of it as a journey were you really want to go.
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you are losing motivation? Too busy to plan healthy meals? Too tired to exercise? I think if you really analyze why you are losing motivation, you may be able to come up with solutions! And 8 lbs is AWESOME!!!! Try to lose 8 more!!!
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, the 3-4wk mark is usually the hardest!! That was when it hit me what I had done to myself all of these years by eating crap & letting myself get to 300lbs! Push through, be super proud of yourself for even deciding to do this to start & even more proud of your 8lb loss. I found by the 6wk mark I got it, this no longer felt like a diet but a lifestyle change. Weighing my food, , logging daily, making better choices were easier, I didn't have to think about it as much. Before long you will reach that point too! Just stay with it, remember it takes a stronger person to push through & keep going then it ever does to give up!! xo
  • 1871farmhouse
    1871farmhouse Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 8lbs! Definitely keep at it! Every healthy choice adds up to success! Focus on the great feeling you get after you workout! The clothes start getting baggy! Treat yourself with a cute new workout top or headband...I give myself a manicure instead of munching while watching a favorite tv show... You can do it!!
  • amandahowze1
    amandahowze1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 8 lb weight loss. That is really something to celebrate. If you have reached a plateau try changing your workout routine.
  • chocpot
    chocpot Posts: 11
    Options
    That's great, keep it up you are doing great. I've also lost 8lbs in 4 wks.....just keep on logging on and moving and you'll be on your way to your goal.
  • 1_step_at_a_time
    1_step_at_a_time Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Iv lost 8lb so far, but its slowed down loads, im struggling with motivation as it slows. I could really do with some motivational friends, and a bit of a pep talk from anyone that can help please, any experience to share xxx

I need to lose about 42 pounds to be a healthy weight. So a few months ago, I started eating healthily and exercising and lost 8 pounds. Then I got really stressed out about life in general and put it all back on again. I am starting afresh today but continue going, move forward, do not take a step backwards like me. In a month's time, do you want to be a few pounds lighter or heavier. Treat yourself some clothes, shoes or whatever you like just to motivate yourself :)
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you haven't taken measurements, do. There is more than one way to measure progress. My guess is you have also lost inches. This can be a great motivator also. 8 lbs in one month is great and especially since you really don't have that much to lose in the first place. You want to take it off slow so you can maintain and keep it off. You are doing great keep up the good work. You didn't put it on in a month and you can't expect to take it off in a month. Be realistic. You are doing fine. You may hit plateaus from time to time where you will go for a week and not lose anything but if you keep up the great work you are doing now you will all of a sudden drop another couple of lbs. Hang in there don't give up.
    Iv lost 8lb so far, but its slowed down loads, im struggling with motivation as it slows. I could really do with some motivational friends, and a bit of a pep talk from anyone that can help please, any experience to share xxx
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I started off drinking plenty of water, and I seemed to have stopped that, I was also eating below my 1500, but now I seem to be allowing as much as I can. The 24lb goal is to get to my lowest weight, b4 I was pregnant, my boy is 1 year now and I feel I should have lost it by now.
    im 13 stone 4, and want to get to 12stone 2lb.... iv never been smaller than that and I cant see me ever getting lower, which is why its set to that.
    I want to feel comfortable to run around with my son, it wont be long till he walks, and I want to feel happy to play in the park with him in spring, I worry what ppl think of me, generally I have a very low opinion of my self.
    We took photos at the behining, and then saturday we took another set 1 month in, and when I looked at them I felt disgusted, im vile, it upset me.
    I hate that I have to limit my food when my oh can eat loadsand not gain, food is part of life, I want to enjoy it like everyone else, but I just get fatter.

1. I don't have kids myself, but from what i can gather it takes ages to get the weight off after pregnancy, but unfortunately due to the excess of celebrities "bouncing back really quickly" real women feel under pressure to do the same. I think this is unhealthy. Having a new kid seems stressful enough without putting yourself under pressure to lose the weight as quickly as possible!

2. It is really annoying when you live with someone who can eat what they like and not get fat. However, eating crap is still bad for them even if they don't put on weight. Get the other half to eat healthily with you, too, although he'll be allowed more high calorie treats. You can eat some very tastey low calorie meals, and there is no reason to cut out everything you love! I often eat yummy salads for lunch, have noodles for tea, and have some chocolate or a sweet desert as a treat on a day when I've been "good". I just had bbq chicken wings and salad for lunch... 290 calories of yum.
    Set daily goals, it hwlps to keep them more manageable

3. Daily goals are useful in some ways but can be counterproductive if you find it hard to meet them every day or want to go out for dinner etc. Also your weight fluctuates naturally day by day (by up to 1 kg I've found) so a daily weight goal isn't good. I find it more useful to average out my calorie deficit over a week, e.g. if I want a bottle of wine one day I make sure I am "good" the rest of the week so I can balance out the calories without restricting my diet too much too much.

and 4. I'm no expert, but might you be experiencing a bit of post-natal depression?

P.S. You could get a fitbit if you can afford one - new kiddy looks exhausting and you may find that your TDEE is a bit higher than you think. 8 lbs in 1 month is a lot - most people can expect to lose half that in a normal month.
  • leader29
    leader29 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanksfor the push everyone, its really helpful. Im setting monthly goals, as it seems to help, january was to lose 5lb, and iv done it, february is to get into the 12 stones, im currently 13 stone 4lb.
    Im 5 foot three, and my goal is 12 stone 2, but I know that wwould still be far from good. At my height and weight, and a stay at home mum, what should I be looking to weigh to be 'healthy'?
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    If you are in this for life and accept that you wont give up, you need to accept that your motivation will fluctuate.........sometimes I am annoyingly positive and motivated, other times I drink a bottle of wine down a box of chocolates and think f%$k it! Just keep going...........
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    8 pounds is AWESOME!!! It's all going to be about a mind shift from diet to living a healthy lifestyle. Cheesy as that sounds. When you take care of yourself physically it's just something you naturally do, when it's a diet it's something you can stop/fall off wagon from etc. Keep changes small. Find things that make that lifestyle easier, manageable, and that make you happy. Find some physical activities that you love and look forward to. Find some sugar free water flavors to help with the water. Make foods that you find yummy, that you can fit into your day, and leave room here and there for treats. I have chocolate every single day. I love chocolate and I fit that sucker in. Make it yours. Own it. Show your little girl that she is loved so much that her mummy wants to be super healthy for her and live happily for a long time. You can do it!
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Thanksfor the push everyone, its really helpful. Im setting monthly goals, as it seems to help, january was to lose 5lb, and iv done it, february is to get into the 12 stones, im currently 13 stone 4lb.
    Im 5 foot three, and my goal is 12 stone 2, but I know that wwould still be far from good. At my height and weight, and a stay at home mum, what should I be looking to weigh to be 'healthy'?

A healthy BMI is 18.5-25, although you probably want to aim for somewhere in the middle so you have “wiggle room” – I’m going for about 23. The healthy range for you would be 47-64 kg, i.e about 7 st 6 lbs to 10 st. BMI of 23 equates to about 59 kg, i.e. 9 st 4 lbs.

Your initial aim of getting below 13 st by the end of Feb is good, and realistic (IMO). You can expect 3-4 lbs loss per month, so you should reach your 12 st 2 lbs goal by June / July time :smile:

I would suggest aiming for 10 - 10.5 st as your Xmas 2014 goal. It seems intimidating (I have a similar amount of weight to lose) but it will make you healthy. Once you’ve hit that, see what your measurements are and assess whether you need to lose any more – BMIs are a useful guide but waist measurement is also important for health and you don’t want to get too skinny :smile: