What's the best time of day to do strength workouts?

Options
My personal trainer wants me to do strength training at least 3 times a week, but each session takes me 2.5 hours to complete (including lots of stretching so I'm not a cripple for 3 days, and 0.5 hour of cardio). My college classes start this week, so I'm trying to establish a routine.

How would you fit such a long workout in? Wake up at 5:00 AM and workout 6 AM - 8:30 AM and going to sleep at 9PM or working out from 9 PM - 11:30 PM and waking up at 9:30 AM? Midday and hope you're not late for classes?

I've heard doing exercise at night is bad for your sleep quality. As far as energy level though, I have more energy midday than any other time, though usually I'm at school, 30 minutes from my gym.

What would be best for my body?

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'd advise the trainer that 2.5 hours at a time could be too much for you and have them reduce each session, due to time constraints from school.

For me working out later at night is bad for sleep quality.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Simple answer

The best time of day is whenever you have time to commit.
  • mmia73
    mmia73 Posts: 7
    Options
    3 weight training sessions per week is great. But seriously it should not take you 2.5 hours to train. There are tons of articles on the internet that warn people of over training. What are your goals?? Are you trying to compete? If so that is no way to do it. You should be isolating your muscle groups for example.. legs one day, back n chest another and arms the last day. If your trainer lets you train for 2.5 hours.. I'd be seriously looking for another trainer..not good. You will injure yourself and then what?? You won't be able to train for weeks. I have had several trainers... my latest one was an MMA coach and a body builder. I like you wanted to push my body but that does more harm than good. You only need to do I would say 20-30 minutes of quality weight lifting make it count. Quality vs quantity is the key. Don't rest that long in between sets. Get in and get out. Your results will happen besides it is when your not lifting that the change starts to happen.. when your eating right sleeping well and replenishing your body with water. Just google does too much weight lifting do more harm than good?? I was told to eat clean. Cardio is good, yeah 30 minutes is good. I wish you luck.
  • roz250
    roz250 Posts: 23
    Options
    What does your trainer have you doing that is taking so long? My longest workouts are about 2 hours with 2 other people rotating through. If I'm working out alone, it's more like 45mins to an hour.

To answer your main question, though, the best time is whenever you can get them in.
  • mmia73
    mmia73 Posts: 7
    Options
    In regards to the best time to train. Its when your muscles are warmed up. I like getting up and heading to the gym so I go at 5 am. Its what really works for you. Training at night does interfere with a good nights rest because your pumped up from training.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is wasting your time. How much weight are you lifting?
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You may be resting too long between sets, or simply doing too many exercises. Talk to your trainer about ways you can streamline your training, maybe with more compound movements to get more benefit in less time. Isolation focused routines tend to take a lot more time, especially if you aren't strict about your rest times.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    What working adult has 2.5 hours at a time to work out? That seems excessive to me.
  • adcede19
    Options
    She has me focusing on muscle groups each day like she should, but everything we do is a part of a circuit so I don't get muscle memory. We do probably 6 circuits that consist of two or three different exercises for each circuit. Each one leaves me shaking because I'm pushing myself, so it's hard to do them quickly.

As far as goals, it's just to tone up and lose weight.
  • roz250
    roz250 Posts: 23
    Options
    Huh? It takes a couple months of the same workout for your body to adapt and stop making changes, and even then it's easy to break through by changing the reps/sets/overload.

Switch to a workout based on compound movements instead. You should be able to get done in 40 minutes instead of 2 hours.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Simple answer

The best time of day is whenever you have time to commit.

x2
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    She has me focusing on muscle groups each day like she should, but everything we do is a part of a circuit so I don't get muscle memory. We do probably 6 circuits that consist of two or three different exercises for each circuit. Each one leaves me shaking because I'm pushing myself, so it's hard to do them quickly.

As far as goals, it's just to tone up and lose weight.

No offense, but I would fire any trainer that talks about muscle memory as if it's a real thing.

ETA: I need to amend that. Muscle memory is a real thing, just not the way your trainer is using it in the muscle confusion sense. Muscle memory (the real one) has to do with your CNA system firing up muscle tissue more readily for people who have trained before- so former weight lifters who haven't lifted will adapt faster than a first-time newbie. It's the muscle confusion/muscle memory concept that's fictional.
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Huh? It takes a couple months of the same workout for your body to adapt and stop making changes, and even then it's easy to break through by changing the reps/sets/overload.

Switch to a workout based on compound movements instead. You should be able to get done in 40 minutes instead of 2 hours.

^THIS

Muscle confusion is a gimmick that trainers use to keep you coming back for more, since circuits that are always changing aren't the most effective way to get stronger, build muscle tone, or lose fat. BTW getting toned is combination of both losing fat and gaining muscle.

A simple program that has you focusing on compound exercise that work the full body will likely do you more good than the time wasting circuits you are currently doing.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    when you're awake
  • adcede19
    Options
    It's seeming more and more likely that my trainer doesn't know what she's talking about.

So muscle confusion is not losing effectiveness of exercise because you did your sets back to back? Wow, she emphasized that from day 1. I never even thought to question it. Thank you very much for the education and advice!

Hopefully there's at least one trainer in my gym who knows what he/she is talking about. I'm under contract to stay there for about another year.
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My strength training sessions are max. 45 minutes. I couldn't imagine going 2.5 hours. I change my routine up every 6 weeks. Its great that you are doing strength already. I lost my 54 pounds in four months and very glad I did strength workouts 3 times per week. In my opinion, I really believe you could be more efficient with your time. I would recommend morning workouts.
  • TpocketT60
    TpocketT60 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yea thats excessive time for weight training. Personally do 4 lifts a week and they are probably 40 mins each at most, lifting heavy with 3 exercises a day (1 main lift, 2 assistance). With a cardio warm up and ab workout finisher, I'm outta the gym in about an hour.
  • EATNCLEAN21
    Options
    There are a lot of variables involved, personally I like lifting at night and doing cardio in the morning on an empty stomach but morning has the best potential for building muscle because testosterone is at it's highest and is critical in protein synthesis and for rebuilding muscle fiber damaged in weight training.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    When I do to the gym I can and usually do spend a good few hours there. 15 min warmup, then a full body workout 2-3 sets, then about 30 min cardio and some stretching. I take my time, I don't rush. I work with several other people who will spend a lot of time at the gym.

If I go swimming after the workout portion of my visit, I can spend 3-4 hours there.
    The OP also said that this includes warm up and stretching so 2.5 seems reasonable to me.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I would say to go when you are rested, and have the time. I have to go after work, and at that point I'm ready to go home and rest rather than working out.