Help with mysterious Spanish food products?

Options
acpgee
acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
I got a hostess gift of some Spanish food, and don't know what to do with some of them.

One item is a tin of Bacalao a la vizcaina. Do you just have this straight out of the tin, or do you warm it up or use as a cooking ingredient?

The other mystery item is Mojama de Atun. Do I just slice thinly and use as a fishy cold cut? How long does it keep in the fridge? It's been in the fridge since Christmas.

Thanks.

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Try google - I just copied the names and got a whole bunch of recipes.....
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    When I google the Bacalao di vizcaina, I just a bunch of recipes for how to make it from scratch. Still not sure what to do with a sardine like tin of the stuff.
  • rsudan
    rsudan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just checked with a Spanish colleague, who tells me that the item Bacalao a la vizcaina is marinated codfish. It needs to be removed from the tin and cooked. As for Mojama de Atun, it is to be taken as a cold slice, and will certainly survive refrigeration for a long time - certainly much longer than the time you have had it in the fridge.
  • expressre
    expressre Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's like a fancy Spanish version of our Tuna fish. One is Cod and the other is Tuna. When I was little my grandparents used to bring me back all types of strange seafood tins from Spain.
  • Astraea1976
    Astraea1976 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bacalao a la Vizcaina needs to be cooked before consumption. its almost like a fish casserole, serving it can be like a curry with rice.

The Mojama de Atun is dry cured fish which is served thinly sliced, very similar to the way they slice the meats. Where I worked we served it with toasted baguette and a tomato dip (with a hint of garlic)

mmmmm I can smell it all now!!!

Enjoy!!
  • leyreateca
    Options
    Hi from Spain.Bizkaina is the name of the sauce .Is made with dry peppers and I suppose that you only need to heat it up.About the tuna mojama is made (more or less ) like the parma ham , I say Parma because you know it best even when the spanish jabugo is a million times better, It is dried and last a lot in the fridge .I don't like it but I hope you enjoy it.¡ Que te aproveche¡