The binge.

Options
I'm a shameful binge eater. I have a special needs daughter and a very slim husband. I want nothing more than to lose weight and be healthy but I cant seem to do it. any suggestions? I want to eat healthy and start using the elliptical. ...really looking for suggestions to help me stick with it longer than just a month. I need a good support group. thank you! :)

Replies

• jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Do a search on "binge" and you'll get some good answers.
  • christasibley
    christasibley Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm silly. that's a good one. :op
  • khpierce8
    Options
    You really have to find a way to take your mind off of food and onto something else.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Start logging everything... it's a start... I find it harder to eat that extra cupcake when I have to log it on mfp.
  • KrysBlaze
    KrysBlaze Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am a former binge/purger myself. At an early age I dropped purge and kept binge until recently. For me. I had to recognize my personal triggers like the youngest is fussy, I'm bored, I'm starting my diet tomorrow so let me eat er'ythang I can today--oh! my biggest was finishing my kids' food.

I'm still recognizing them, but I have started keeping a daily goal instead of a weekly goal. Like, 'Today I will drink at least 8 glasses of water.' or limit my bread or up my protein, etc. It's working so far, for me.

Feel free to add me, it helps to have someone who has been there/done that as a support system.:smile::happy:
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Start logging everything... it's a start... I find it harder to eat that extra cupcake when I have to log it on mfp.

This.

I have tried mfp a few times, and the reason I failed everytime was I would eat something and not log it, then it starts to make you eat more things you aren't logging, which spirals to days you don't log, which eventually snowballs to just not even logging on mfp all together. This last time I gained the 12 lbs I lost and another 13 on top of that. I came to terms that the only way I will EVER lose weight and keep it off is to hold myself accountable for everything I eat or drink...you can try and forget it happened, but the scale doesn't lie. Plus, when you find out exactly how many calories are in certain items, it doesn't taste as good as it used to lol
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I'm a binger but not a purger. I agree that logging religously will help.

My suggestion is to set your calorie goal to zero and don't try to hit a calorie goal at all; just log.

Just log, even when you binge. Do that for a month.

After a month you can then set a calorie goal.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I have tried mfp a few times, and the reason I failed everytime was I would eat something and not log it, then it starts to make you eat more things you aren't logging, which spirals to days you don't log, which eventually snowballs to just not even logging on mfp all together. This last time I gained the 12 lbs I lost and another 13 on top of that. I came to terms that the only way I will EVER lose weight and keep it off is to hold myself accountable for everything I eat or drink...you can try and forget it happened, but the scale doesn't lie. Plus, when you find out exactly how many calories are in certain items, it doesn't taste as good as it used to lol

I am the same way. The minute I don't log something it snowballs.
  • Jos44
    Jos44 Posts: 2
    Options
    I understand its hard and this is something I struggled with all my life. Finally and I mean finally after battling with not having self control I can finally control what I put in my body and I don't struggle with it anymore. The thing that helped me out the most was having pictures around of what I wanted to look like. What I wanted to achieve. I mean pictures EVERYWHERE. I put my favorite bodybuilder as a poster on my wall in my bedroom where I would see it every time I woke up, I put it as my screensaver on my phone. I would constantly look at videos and pictures for motivation and I would surround myself with people who were supportive. Pretty much I started developing the mindset that my goals were bigger then those 5 seconds of pleasure I would get from digging into some cookies. Your mind feeds off of the things you hear and see every single day. If all you keep on your mind is things that remind you of your goal, your less likely to gravitate to binging. And just like anything else, eating healthy is a habit that you form. After doing it after awhile it becomes second nature. Don't give up. Believe me we have all struggled with this at some point or another in our lives. You are not alone.
  • christasibley
    Options
    thanks for sharing! very helpful. :)
  • christasibley
    Options
    Anyone else have information to share? ...or stories even?
  • MrsAustin1480
    MrsAustin1480 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a binger, buuuut a great tip? Get some friends on here! Add me! I try to be supportive every day and I'm honest with my logging...ugggh some days. I've been back for 3 weeks now but had a previous streak of 5 months, and I lost 40ish pounds (and have kept it off). I'm on here every day - even just seeing so-and-so went for a walk inspires me to do a Pilates video or NOT eat that donut. Friends have helped me immensely.