Workout to burn fat and gain muscle tips and ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• bucs863
    bucs863 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ON whey protein is healthiest stuff out there
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    It's probably best to shop around and find a brand that you'll be able to find consistently and conveniently. I'm living in Europe and take what I can get. I was looking for something with higher leucine, but like I said, I take what I can get. I'm currently using PVL Sport whey. I was using the ISO Sport whey. I guess ISO is considered "better", more absorbed, quicker, purer--or smthg like that (like more protein for fewer cals, I think). BUT, I've read that non-ISO has an added benefit of helping to boost immunity and I happened to find it on sale when I had just gotten a nasty cold and needed all the immunity support I could find--so here I am. You'll want to experiment with taste too. I tend to get vanilla because it's plainer and I add instant coffee or choc powder if I need flavor or a little "punch".

I've read that the juries still out on the 30g/3hrs and it may depend on stomach contents, type of protein, etc. I tend to have my post-workout shake only about 1 hour or so before dinner and therefore put protein on top of protein, but the food protein is probably slower, so I think it all works out. But yeah, ya definitely can't just down 3 shakes and call it a day. lol
  • handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • babbott165
    Options
    I found this stuff:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/dymatize/iso-100.html

I figure have a shake with breakfast (7am-7:30am), which is usually really light in the morning before my workout. I end up eating a healthy sized snack after my workout (9am-9:30am). Then after my evening workout (7:30pm-8:00pm) have another shake. that'll get my 50g more protein a day and an extra 220 calories a day. It's got a small ingredients list and barely any sugars, which is nice. What do you all think?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    don't overthink it. any basic protein powder that you can walk into any nutrition store and buy. don't pay any more than you have to
  • babbott165
    Options
    I went ahead and just ordered Optimum: Gold Standard Natural 100% Whey. It doesn't have any fillers and it's right up my alley for what it sounds like I need.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/natwhey.html
  • heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Go running.
    Hey guys and gals! I'm currently working out twice a day 5 days a week. In the mornings before work I'm doing the regular P90 Carido (30 mins) and then in the evenings on my lunch break I'm doing some pretty intense weight training where each day focuses on a body part followed by 10 minutes of moderate cardio (30 minutes). I've been doing a lot of research and YouTube watching on best ways to burn fat and along with a healthy "diet," which I've got down pretty well, I found that building muscle will burn more weight than doing cardio. For those of you who are professionals and actually know the ins and outs of health, wellness and getting in shape, what are your thoughts?

My information:
    5'10" height
    242.3 lbs
    Heavy in the belly area.

Since Christmas I'm down 17 lbs from doing this routine, but I'm curious if I'm hurting more than I'm doing good. My diet is around 1900 calories daily and I hit that goal consistently. I'm eating awesome food, lots of meat, fruits, veggies cottage cheese. No milk, fatty, processed, or sugary foods. I have a lot of energy, so I know my diet is giving the amount of nutrients I need to make it through the day. I have one cheat day a week where I eat whatever I want, but I stay in my portion sizes and I won't let myself go over 1000 calories or 2900 calories for that day. Figure it'll get my metabolism all fired up. :smile:
  • daweez04
    daweez04 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I went ahead and just ordered Optimum: Gold Standard Natural 100% Whey. It doesn't have any fillers and it's right up my alley for what it sounds like I need.

Same stuff is free shipping on Amazon (didn't see if it was on BBing). Vitamin Shoppe also carries it if you want to go the brick and mortar route and don't want to wait.

Very good stuff, use it in my morning shake every morning.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    don't overthink it. any basic protein powder that you can walk into any nutrition store and buy. don't pay any more than you have to

^yep
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options

Same stuff is free shipping on Amazon (didn't see if it was on BBing). Vitamin Shoppe also carries it if you want to go the brick and mortar route and don't want to wait.

Very good stuff, use it in my morning shake every morning.

^OP, this is good to know, because this stuff tends to get used up faster than you expect, esp if you only got the 908g tub (which is really only about 2wks worth @ 2x/day).
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    In my experience the brand of whey protein makes no difference. But what might matter to you is the flavor, they all have a slightly different taste and aftertaste and some flavors you just might find intolerable. I'm at a point now where I just get the cheapest stuff I can find because I don't care about the flavor anymore. I just put it in my water and drink it.

I discovered through trial and error how much my body suffers if I'm not getting enough protein. It's like anything else really have to experiment to find out what works for you.
  • babbott165
    Options
    I found this local for $50 for 5lbs. not bad and it'll last me a little over a month. Very doable! As far as taste, I can take down most any type of foods that taste like crap, haha
  • DennisParker
    Options
    That were some really useful tips to reduce wait. The steps were precise and easy to follow.Thanks a lot
  • Jocampgrl
    Jocampgrl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    May I post a question in this thread since it is related? What is the best way to reduce body fat percentage?

I just had my 3rd baby 2 months ago. I am back to pre pregnancy weight but my goal weight is to lose another 7 lbs. according to a scale that measures weight and body fat i am at 31%. I would like to be between 22 and 25%. I am currently breastfeeding so need to be careful not to do it too quickly and can't take creatine which is in most protein powders. I am eating 1880 calories a day, am 5' 7", weigh 162 (would like to be 155 ish), typically meet my protein.

I'm thinking more focused lifting like op? Or more cardio? Or a good mix of both? I am not currently doing any lifting beyond my 2 yo (which I do shoulder presses, etc with) and trying to add strength exercises such as pushups throughout my day.

If I should have created a new forum, I apologize
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Jocampgrl, first "bravo!" on breastfeeding. :)

There are two ways to change body fat percentage- (1) reduce body fat while holding lean mass constant, & (2) increase lean mass. Most of us are wanting to reduce body fat percentage by reducing body fat while holding lean mass constant (without losing muscle). The best way to do that is to eat at a slight deficit and to do some sort of weight/strength training to maintain lean mass. While breastfeeding, you'll need to pay very close attention to the response of your supply to a slight calorie deficit. (Personally, I couldn't "diet" while breastfeeding because I already had supply issues.) But even if you have to wait it out, once the little one starts taking food, you can worry a little less about supply issues with each passing month.

As for protein powders, I think that only "gainer" type products have creatine (although not sure why creatine specifically would be a problem breastfeeding, but as a general premise I'd stay away from the "gainer" products, as some do attempt to manipulate hormones naturally). BUT plain whey powder is just a product of cheese and yogurt-making and is simply protein--you could also eat more yogurt and high-whey cheeses & dairy, but it tends to result in higher calories. I think plain whey protein powder would be okay, as long as you are not using it as a meal replacement which would rob your diet of other nutrients that comes from food.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance level along with the protein recommendation
  • RhysWill_I_Ams
    Options
    If you have found that building muscle will cause more weight loss than cardio than you cardio is complete weak sauce.

That aside, I think you've got a pretty good thing going and should ride that wave as long as you can. Its actually refreshing to hear someone concerned they may be doing too much around here. Good work man, keep it up.

I agree with this. If your noticing changes with this routine then go with it. If it aint broke and all that stuff. Just would say possibly changing up the reps and sets to shock your muscles but it's your call.