Lose 40 pounds as soon as possible

Options
I'm waiting to join the military and need to lose 40 pounds to be in their recommended weight. Any tips and tricks would be great. This is something I really want to do and realize I need help and guidance.

Replies

• Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    option 1) decrease calorie intake to a sensible level for your lifestyle to reduce weight at a reasonable pace without making yourself ill.

option 2) Hacksaw. Leg. Get to it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    there are no 'tips and tricks' you just need a moderate calorie deficit, some regular exercise and patience!

or you can do it the quick way and starve yourself, do hours of exercise and then have bad skin, your hair fall out and the fitness of a 90 year old...
  • BubblyJolie
    Options
    Considering I want to join the military, I don't think starving myself is going to work.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    should be doable the healthy way within 4 months or so, maybe less.

still think option 2 is a winner.
  • RhysJ13
    RhysJ13 Posts: 72
    Options
    there are no 'tips and tricks' you just need a moderate calorie deficit, some regular exercise and patience!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Considering I want to join the military, I don't think starving myself is going to work.

looks like you will just have to do it the sensible boring way then! you're in the right place!
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there's no Aberdeen in Wales, UK, so I'm assuming you're from Washington.

Are you actually waiting to go to MEPs or are you waiting to try to join?
  • BubblyJolie
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there's no Aberdeen in Wales, UK, so I'm assuming you're from Washington.

Are you actually waiting to go to MEPs or are you waiting to try to join?
    Well for a woman my age they want them to be 156 and I'm thinking like 10 extra for myself. But I don't think they are going to approve me in the shape I am in so I want to lose the weight and restart my application process. And yes I'm from Aberdeen, WA.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you're really desperate to join, give yourself two or three months, train hard and sensibly... eat sensibly, with enough of a deficit to help you lose weight but nothing so drastic you won't recover from the training, and take whatever drop in weight it gives you. Probably somewhere around 10-15lbs.

They operate on BMI, as far as I'm aware, so they should know "healthy weight" can be a little skewed . They might let you pass after 20lbs and let you make up the extra 10-20 between the fitness tests and the first phase of training.

Otherwise, since you seem to be set on it... I'd take it slow, give it another 3 months or so once you've hit your "goal" weight to just keep on training. If you're not used to exercising for anything other than losing weight, the first phase of training will be unnecessarily brutal.

I went through much the same thing last year, before needing surgery set me right back to square 1.