v8 for veggies?

Options
I have a heck of a time getting my veggies in. Pretty much all I drink is water and milk with my protein powder. Would a glass of low sodium V8 do the trick for lack of veggies?

Replies

• TimElwis
    Options
    V8 is okay but it's really high in sodium. Which is why I went off it and started learning to cook with veges so noe I'm eating more vege.
  • popo312
    popo312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    V8 is okay but it's really high in sodium. Which is why I went off it and started learning to cook with veges so noe I'm eating more vege.

Regular version is, that's why I said low sodium. I've been having a time with veggies and sodium. Most veggies are in a salad and most dressings have high sodium content as well. Kinda two birds one stone kinda thought.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I guess it can do you good because of the vitamins. But you won't be getting the benefits of the enzymes because it's pasteurized.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Invest in a small juicer and make your own, maybe. Or make a vegetable 'soup', mimicking ingredients in V8, blend, add water and cool and drink that? As an above poster said, there's only so much a processed/pasteurised product can do. I don't understand why it's so difficult to 'get' veggies in though, my average meal has around 3 at least.
  • barb106
    barb106 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes! A low sodium V8 is only 30 calories and has lots of vitamins in a very convenient can. When I have a day trip or meetings out of my office, I'll add one to my bag of snacks for the car. Also when I haven't prepped a meal for work it's quick way to add a veggie.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat the veggies, personally... more fiber. Juice never fills me up.
  • Gingerbearman
    Options

As has been said - watch out for the "hiddens" on the labels of V8 (and other products)... You'd be surprised at how much "other" stuff is in there with the veggies....

And besides, I'm not a fan of Tomato juice...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If it's a choice between nothing and the low sodium V8 then by all means add it to your diet. I keep some on hand for days when I'm pressed for time or not eating as well as I should.......
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    V8 should not be your only source of veggies, and you should not be drinking all your meals for any length of time.

With that caveat, sure, a V8 is one of those things that will likely do more good than harm. For example, I don't eat much citrus fruit, so I worry about vitamin C when I don't have V8 a few times a week.
  • StillLisa106
    Options
    Have you tried making soup? There are a ton of low cal, low sodium recipes on the internet. I make a big pot of soup on Sunday and eat it all week, before dinner, for a snack, for breakfast sometimes. It's tasty and warm and really filling.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    If it's a choice between nothing and the low sodium V8 then by all means add it to your diet. I keep some on hand for days when I'm pressed for time or not eating as well as I should.......

Brian has a good point. If your sodium levels are fine with it, then by all means. Also consider Bolthouse Farms drinks. They're much lower in sodium, a bit higher in calories (usually between 70 and 180 depending on which flavor you choose). I like the Daily Greens, Carrot and Carrot & Orange. Those are the purest. Others have different stuff in the ingredients list, but still good choices. Plus, you get a bigger variety beyond tomato should want options. Bolthouse Farms, and also Odwalla drinks, can be found in the refrigerated section. Usually near the bagged salads and vegan products. Roughly $1.50 each when on sale.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    V8 is good, and you could also grab Naked or Bolthiuse juices and smoothies.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I drink 2x 5.5 oz cans of low sodium V8 pretty much daily. For one thing, I like it...and I don't have time to juice my own every day..I'm already the primary cook for a family of 4 that rarely eats out and cooks primarily from scratch...so I'm already cooking a lot. For me it's an excellent way of getting in a whopping 1400 mg of potassium...well on my way to my 4000-4500 mg goal per day goal. It is also an excellent source of lycopene which has many heart healthy benefits.

That said, it is not my only source of vegetables...even without the V8 I take in roughly 4-5 servings per day...with the V8 it's 6-8 servings per day. I also get tired of just drinking water so I like having my V8 with breakfast and then one with lunch...I used to drink a lot of soda and what not, and this has kind of replaced that.
  • 9kitsune
    Options
    juicing your own veggies would be a lot better, plus it tastes a whole lot greater
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes! And it's very high in potassium so it's great for controlling water weight from sodium. At only 70 calories per 11.5 oz can, V8 is quite a nutritional bargain.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Brian has a good point. If your sodium levels are fine with it, then by all means. Also consider Bolthouse Farms drinks. They're much lower in sodium, a bit higher in calories (usually between 70 and 180 depending on which flavor you choose). I like the Daily Greens, Carrot and Carrot & Orange. Those are the purest. Others have different stuff in the ingredients list, but still good choices. Plus, you get a bigger variety beyond tomato should want options. Bolthouse Farms, and also Odwalla drinks, can be found in the refrigerated section. Usually near the bagged salads and vegan products. Roughly $1.50 each when on sale.

A 5.5 ounce low sodium V8 only has 95 Mg of sodium...it's not a lot of sodium. Regular V8 yes....lots of sodium. The low sodium variety is actually pretty low sodium.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

As has been said - watch out for the "hiddens" on the labels of V8 (and other products)... You'd be surprised at how much "other" stuff is in there with the veggies....

And besides, I'm not a fan of Tomato juice...

Not that my personal taste really matters, but I love low sodium V8. I drink several cans a week. The ingredients are not bad:

INGREDIENTS

INGREDIENTS: RECONSTITUTED VEGETABLE JUICE BLEND (WATER AND CONCENTRATED JUICES OF TOMATOES, CARROTS, CELERY, BEETS, PARSLEY, LETTUCE, WATERCRESS, SPINACH), POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, SUGAR, MAGNESIUM, SALT, NATURAL FLAVORING, VITAMIN C (ASCORBIC ACID), DISODIUM GUANYLATE, DISODIUM INOSINATE, CITRIC ACID.
  • brendanstallard
    brendanstallard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have a heck of a time getting my veggies in. Pretty much all I drink is water and milk with my protein powder. Would a glass of low sodium V8 do the trick for lack of veggies?

Popo,

I had a lot of discussion with my Dr/Nutritionist about this, and both advocate and consume their veggies a lot of the time by simply putting them in a Blender. (They both use Vitamix-expensive but a normal blender will get the job done.) They, especially the Dr, are time restricted and they say this is why they do it that way. They both look a million dollars with lovely skin, all that good stuff.

I've tried all versions of V8, but as you've read, the salt gets in the way, even in the low sodium version. I've quite an aversion to salt. it looks by the other replies I'm not the only one.

Hordes of recipes for veggie drinks on YouTube, some of 'em quite good:)

Good luck.

brendan
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat the veggies, personally... more fiber. Juice never fills me up.

^THIS
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    One reason I use V8 is that it is significantly less expensive than the other options mentioned here, especially if you buy it by the jug.

That leaves more money in the budget for fresh veggies for the rest of the day,