Trouble toning..

iishnova
iishnova Posts: 259 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I was wondering if anyone can suggests some exercises to target specific areas (mostly thighs). I have access to a good amount of gym equipment and enough space where I am to work out on the floor. My jeans won't stay on my waist but I can't go smaller because my thighs are too big. I'm doing Pilates to work on my core but I wouldn't object to suggestions for that either. Please give feedback!

Replies

• dunkley1977
    dunkley1977 Posts: 1 Member
    Squats and Lunges are good exercises for toning the legs..
  • I have exactly the same problem with trousers!

Just a thought, have you tried Tracey Anderson's Mat work out? You have probably heard of it, it's an exercise DVD but you can learn the exercises to do them in the gym or anywhere. Her method involves using the accessory muscles as well as the major muscle groups so you get really lean limbs, perfect for those whose problems areas are thighs and upper arms! I was doing the same gym routine, exercising the same larger muscles, doing the abductor/adductor, leg press, lat pull down etc and totally plateauing, then I tried this. It actually made me ache. In a good way!

I havn't done in long enough to see the results but I am positive that it is going to make a difference to my lower body and arms! I can feel it. If you are looking for something different then I would highly recommend it. Hope this helps!
  • i would try J Brand jeans , they are the only jeans that have EVER fit me... sounds like you have a figure similar to me
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    I don't think there is anything else to it but losing some more weight. If you want to shape the muscles, make them stronger or bigger, then certain types of weight training will help but you can't target where you burn the fat from with any exercises. Lose more weight and eventually it will go from your thigs too. Usually last if that's where you really want to get rid of it.. :angry:
    My problem is my belly. I want it gone but it feels like I'm only losing from my arms. My blood vessels are showing on my arms but the belly stays! :explode:
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    The 30 day shred is great for all over toning, but the lungers and squats are great for the legs!
  • You just have to keep doing cardio whatever you are doing. Toning won't help you to get smaller.
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    You definitely have to keep up the cardio to drop weight, but go for cardio where you're really isolating your legs (walking at a really steep incline; elliptical set to a tough setting; stairs; stationary bike set to really resistant setting). Doing light weights to help target the legs also is a good addition to your workout, but be sure not to just target the hamstrings and quadriceps- you need to get a full range of motion (which is where a lot of people mess up!) So do hip adduction and abduction (moving leg across your body and away from your body-works inner and outer thigh) and that can be done with or without weights or with a resistance band. My other go-to is plie's because it works glutes, quads, and hips. I also really like to do box jumps to help tone legs.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you really need to look at your body type first. I'm a 'pear,' meaning that I'm simply bigger on the bottom than I am on the top. My hips and thighs have always been bigger than the rest of me...simple as that.

While I have been able to slim them down over time, they generally have been the LAST place I've noticed inches lost. I lost a ton in my waist, and upper body, but the hips and thighs were much slower. The key is to lower your overall body fat percentage. There's really no such thing as 'spot reduction.' My philosophy is, the place that irritates you the most is probably the place where the fat accumulated first. That also will be the last place where fat will be lost. Sad, but true.

So, instead of focusing on my hang-ups, I've simply had to learn to embrace how strong and powerful I am. Yep...I've got big thighs, and no matter how thin I get, I will probably always have bigger thighs. I can't just walk into a store and expect clothes to fit. I have to find the brand that fits me and then I stock up. In my opinion, there are worse things...
This discussion has been closed.