Anyone else need to lose 55lbs+ and prepping for a marathon?

Options
I'm 47 and need to get off at least 55lbs. I will be running a half marathon and a full marathon toward the end of this year. I'll begin training myself starting - uh, now! LOL! I'll start training with my Lifestyle Coach beginning March. The goal is to do more superfoods, juice more and hit the weights. I'm looking for anyone who is training with this amount of weight to lose, or who just wants to share some AWESOME advice.

Replies

• twinmuma
    twinmuma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't have that much to lose, but I want to register in a half marathon too...Just not sure where to start...
  • jnmaddock
    jnmaddock Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've lost nearly 60lbs (still have a few more to go) and have my first ever half marathon in four weeks.

I'm new to running too - only started last August - so if you need any friendly advice as you go please feel free to add me.
  • wittyfitness
    Options
    hello and good luck with your journey!
    may I suggest smoothies(you can water these down to make them more juice like) rather than juices if you're going to be having a lot of them ie, more than 1 a day.
    Juicers remove a lot of the pulp/skin which is where a lot of the vitamins and fiber is, so you get a concentrated sugar hit while missing out on important parts of the fruit/veg.

edit* some shop bought smoothies also have pulp removed, best way to go is to make your own.
    you may also be better just eating some of the fruit rather than blending as you will feel like you have actually eaten something, leaving you less likely to snack.
  • Theresa1041
    Theresa1041 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am trying to lose 20 pounds and am (trying) to train for a half marathon later this year! It'd be nice if we could support each other to reach our goals!
  • RyanDryFly
    RyanDryFly Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Wow perfect match for what I have just been through. I always thought I would hate to running but have learned I love it. You get to push yourself to the point where you don't think you can go anymore then go further, pushing past the pain...what a sense of accomplishment you can get from running.

My first race ever will be in four weeks. I'm doing the Fort Worth Cowtown Half. I actually started training in August for the Dallas Half but it got canceled due to an ice storm. During that time I lost 50 lbs while training and getting my diet under control. I been able to improve my time from 12 min miles to almost 8 min miles. Here's what my last long run looked like if you are interested http://connect.garmin.com/activity/435500057

Feel free to add me...I love new running friends :smile:
  • AFWXDUDE
    AFWXDUDE Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Not much? 37 is a big number in my opinion! Good luck on it. My micro goal is 45, but my overall goal is 65.